• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Recently traded for a Mosin PU Sniper from an ingo member. Turns out, the rifle is 1937. I've since learned the PU scope is too new for a '37 91/30 to be an original sniper as it would have a different scope. No harm, no foul, the ingo member purchased it as a PU sniper and traded it as such, not knowing it was not an original. What I'm trying to learn is whether the scope was an original PU scope from another rifle, unissued real scope later put on this rifle, or if it's a reproduction scope and not real. The serial number of the rifle was engraved on the scope mount, leading me to believe it was one of the many fake reproductions, but as I understand, some were from real scopes, some were form reproductions. What signs can I look for in the scope? I'm not looking to assess a value on the rifle, would rather hold on to this one, especially if the scope is an original in itself. I've read random things, but would rather a collective in one spot on the determining the authenticity of THE SCOPE ONLY, to determine if it's an original from a different rifle or a reproduction. The actual reticle does move with adjustment like the originals, not staying centered.

Scope labels include:
    -hammer and sickle
    -91/30
    -n4 828216

All machine heads are flat.

Thoughts from Mosin Fan Bois?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Post some close-up pics of the scope & mount if you can, but it sounds like you have a CAI reproductio PU sniper. PU snipers where not put in production until 1942, and only limited numbers where made after 1945, with all production ceasing in 1948. I have 3 WW2 PU's, all 1944's, 1 Tula and 2 Izhevsk's one of which was rearsenaled in Yugoslavia, and a 43 Izhevsk reproduction which is my range rife. Some of the early repro's had legit WW2 scopes and mounts used on them, while some of the more recient ones have had cast aluminum mounts and none functioning windage & elevation noobs .

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I know kalinka optics carries pu optics perhaps you can comapare between the new repo and the original, not sure if it will help ya w/o seeing pics.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    well ive been toying with the idea of buying a pu 91/30 for quite some time now most orginal matching snipers run around $800 havnt seen them much lower than that and clones can range from 380 to 475. Southern ohio as a clone for $385 plus shipping ive been eying for awhile now.... but if its not exactly what your looking for let me know ill buy it off you or what you got in it (as goes for anyone else that wants to part with one)

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The rule of thumb is that if the price is around $400, it is a repro. If the price is $800, it is more likely an original.

I have a repro 1942 Izhevsk 21/30 PU. In the packaging was a card that said something to the effect of "...these optics were manufactured in 2005 using 1927 specifications and equipment."

I thoroughly enjoy shooting it!

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    I have an original PU scope and mount and the scope is dated 1941 and i dont know what to do with it, it is mounted on a M44.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    If I am not so interested in staying "Genuine"

What is the best way to install modern optics on these Mosins? Realistically, what is an accurate range for iron, and with glass? I got bit by the Mosin-bug, and I fear it is incurable. What a fine, accurate weapon for so reasonable a price! EBG

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Recently traded for a Mosin PU Sniper from an ingo member. Turns out, the rifle is 1937. I've since learned the PU scope is too new for a '37 91/30 to be an original sniper as it would have a different scope. No harm, no foul, the ingo member purchased it as a PU sniper and traded it as such, not knowing it was not an original. What I'm trying to learn is whether the scope was an original PU scope from another rifle, unissued real scope later put on this rifle, or if it's a reproduction scope and not real. The serial number of the rifle was engraved on the scope mount, leading me to believe it was one of the many fake reproductions, but as I understand, some were from real scopes, some were form reproductions. What signs can I look for in the scope? I'm not looking to assess a value on the rifle, would rather hold on to this one, especially if the scope is an original in itself. I've read random things, but would rather a collective in one spot on the determining the authenticity of THE SCOPE ONLY, to determine if it's an original from a different rifle or a reproduction. The actual reticle does move with adjustment like the originals, not staying centered.

Scope labels include:
    -hammer and sickle
    -91/30
    -n4 828216

All machine heads are flat.

Thoughts from Mosin Fan Bois?

I don't think the originals had 91/30 stamped on them.

Top Bottom