• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    So me thinks I need to add a Mosin to the herd. Should I go for the ones at AIM for $79 or the all matching hex receivers at Classic Arms? If I go the Classic Arms route, does it matter which factory to go with? Would the dragoon Mosins be a better purchase in any way (reliability, accuracy, rarity, etc)?

Or should I head down to Bradis?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    from my understanding pre WWII are better quality. and i would all was want a numbers matching gun. just for safety reasons. the head space may have never been checked.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Depends on what you want. If you just want a shooter make sure the bolt and receiver are original matching numbers and you're good to go. A round receiver Izzy fits the shooter bill perfectly and will run $70 @ Classic. If you want to step up a little on the collectibility scale, go with a Tula hex receiver ($110 at Classic). For the ultimate in easily found collectible 91-30s go with a Tula ex-Dragoon ($150 @ Classic). In each case I would pay the extra $10 for a hand selected rifle.

I've not been to Bradis in a while, but I remember their Mosins as being a little high and not finding anything remarkable. But their inventory changes constantly and you never know what treasure you may find.

As far as I know, there is nothing inferior about the Izzies, they were just produced in greater numbers and are more common. Above the ex-Dragoons in collectibility are Finns and Snipers, but those are substantially more expensive.

HTH,
    Kevin

ETA: I think most of the Mosins at Classic include the matching numbered bayonet. Definitely something to consider for a collectible rifle as many of them that are commonly available just have any old bayonet thrown on them with no regard for numbers.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    thanks for the help guys.

i will be using this rifle as a range blaster mostly, but if I can get something collectible for only $50 more, then I probably will (maybe i'll buy two ;)).

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    the tula is great. if you can get a 1942 tula from what i see and hear from a buddy that is big in them 1942 tula was where they got most of there sniper versions. also late 1942 is when the factory was bombed there for has history as last production. once again this is only as i was told. if wrong please correct me.

shake1155

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    a matching number mosin just means they re-printed the serial on them, they all got referbished, gaged and and sighted after the the war and thrown in an arms room. Thats how they sat till it shipped to your local gun store ;) ..

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    a matching number mosin just means they re-printed the serial on them, they all got referbished, gaged and and sighted after the the war and thrown in an arms room. Thats how they sat till it shipped to your local gun store ;) ..

:( You're taking all the fun out of it.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step

Umm.... Not exactly. Although many have been rearsenaled at some point, not all of them have been. What you are looking for is original numbers matching. Rearsenaled parts will have the original number struck through and a new matching number either stamped or electro penciled on them. While these are ok for shooters, it hurts the collectibility of them. One of mine has a force matched base plate (rearsenaled at some point), the other is 100% matching in the original font and everything.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Umm.... Not exactly. Although many have been rearsenaled at some point, not all of them have been. What you are looking for is original numbers matching. Rearsenaled parts will have the original number struck through and a new matching number either stamped or electro penciled on them. While these are ok for shooters, it hurts the collectibility of them. One of mine has a force matched base plate (rearsenaled at some point), the other is 100% matching in the original font and everything.

Only about 99.999% of the ones that are currently available at stores and distributors are force matched refurbs. At some of the refurb facilities the original number was ground off before restamping, and if you look close enough the numbers are in a slightly differnet font and size. Irregardless of whether the numbers are stamped matching, one quick way to tell if it is a refurb is look at the internal surfaces of the receiver. If they're blued, its a refurb, as the internal surfaces were in the white from the factory.

As to the OP, AIM has a very good reputation for their products and standing behind them. As far as the hand pick fee, unless you want a particular date or feature, forget it. Very few places will actually clean a barrel other than running a patch through it before shipping it out. Besides, Mosins are actually fairly tolerant of some pitting due to the deep grooves. For a first one, I'd recommend going to a shop that has them in stock so you can actually look at it and hold it before buying, not only to check the bore but also there is some difference in the stocks. Some will feel light and agile, while others will feel as ungainly as a 2x6. You may pay a little more but you will get exactly what you want.

jbrittin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    I got mine for 70 bucks at an auction. No matching numbers, but it shoots like a dream (after I cleaned all of the cosmoline out of the chamber). If you buy one, and the bolt gets sticky, be sure to see all of the Youtube videos about removing cosmoline out of the chamber.

Top Bottom