• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    Has anyone had success mounting a scope on a 91/30 mosin without drilling. I have read there is a 3/8 dovetail under rear sight. I wondered if the recoil is too much or not.Looking for ideas.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    There is a dovetail underneath the rear sight. Whether or not the combo of that and 22 rings holds up to recoil is something I do not know as I have no experience with that particular combo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I tried mounting to the dovetail on a 91/30, and it worked okay, but I didn't use the right kind of scope. I really like these mounts - S & K Scope Mounts Home Page - rifle scope, scope mounts, Insta-Mount, SKulptured Mounts I've got one on my M38 and also on a Yugo Mauser and they're great! The key is to get the right scope. I tried a long eye relief pistol scope and spent too much time bobbing my head around to get a clear sight picture, but then I got two of these - Burris Scout 2.75x20mm Heavy Plex Reticle Riflescope FREE S&H 200269. Burris Rifle Scopes. .

That made all the difference in the world. It's crystal clear as soon as you bring the rifle up to your shoulder. If you decide on another brand, just make sure you're getting a true scout (intermediate eye relief) scope. In my experience a pistol scope just isn't the best choice.

Here are my two rifles with the scopes and mounts...

IMG_2028_zpsd1079f65.jpg

Last edited:

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I was hoping to find something cheaper . Only use for occasional target shooting 50 to 100 yards and wanting more accuracy than open sights.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Some rifles were not ment to be scoped, the mosin is one of them. Shoot it with irons, and when you feel like you need a scoped rifle buy something else.

if you get a good shooter they can hang with modern rifles. But mounting a scope isn't as easy as going to Cabelas and buying rings and bases. Mosin Nagants freakin rock.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some rifles were not ment to be scoped, the mosin is one of them. Shoot it with irons, and when you feel like you need a scoped rifle buy something else.
    As a matter of general principle I would agree, however I do like my scout setup. Would I put it on all my Mosins? No. However, for aging eyes it's kind of nice. :)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've been using the brass stacker for about 5 months now with a ncstar scope 2-7x32 long eye relief. I have had no issues other than having to retighten scope due to temp difference when going to range now. Its no sniper but can get 60 rounds within the 9 ring and less at 100.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you get a good shooter they can hang with modern rifles. But mounting a scope isn't as easy as going to Cabelas and buying rings and bases. Mosin Nagants freakin rock.

I understand what you are saying, but your going to invest a lot of time and money into trying to get something to work that "can hang" with a cheap modern rifle. To me it makes more sense to start with the modern rifle. A bad modern rifle will be about the same accuracy as a good mosin.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I understand what you are saying, but your going to invest a lot of time and money into trying to get something to work that "can hang" with a cheap modern rifle. To me it makes more sense to start with the modern rifle. A bad modern rifle will be about the same accuracy as a good mosin.

I've got a fresh out of the box (no tweaking at all) PU sniper (around $600) that I can consistently hit at 900 yards with. I've got hits at 1000, but not consistent yet.

I will agree though a $700 Remington 700 will be easier to do that with, but there isn't any history and they're ugly. ;)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I would much rather have a cheap mosin with a history and a cheap supply of surplus ammo, then got out and spend 700 dollars on something I probably wouldn't take out as much. I think I invested only 100 in my scope and mount, and I know I can fine tune it some more and get better results and I would be happy if I can reach out to 500 yards. When I was In the Corps we had just been issued brand new M4's and went out to qual. People complained they couldn't hit anything at 500 unless they had their old M16A2's, but I managed to get my 10 shots with iron sights. I would love to have a plain jane M4 or M16, but don't want to spend 800-1200 for something that would be a target gun.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Has anyone had success mounting a scope on a 91/30 mosin without drilling. I have read there is a 3/8 dovetail under rear sight. I wondered if the recoil is too much or not.Looking for ideas.

Recoil will move scope rings on the dovetail unless you figure out a way to secure them. Slapping a set of rings or an airgun mount will physically mount a scope on a Mosin. Just remember that if the mount is off (not pointed at your POI) using the scope adjustments to make large corrections will mean quick death to it. This goes for all types of mounts on all hi powered rifles. If done right a cheap scope can live on a Mosin (it's not easy), but irons (with practice) are just as accurate. If you can't see well, get "EyePal".

good luck,

les

Last edited:

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

I would have to agree. Mosins (or any milsurp) are not they way to cheap and easy accuracy.

Biggest problems with Mosin accuracy are milsurp ammo, typically bores in poor shape, and the fact that they were built with quite loose tolerances to make them always work during combat! That said, I do have one Finnish Tikka 91/30 that will reliably shoot with my Swiss K31 at sub MOA (handloads on both). There are always exceptions.

If you define accuracy as less than 1MOA, you will have a difficult (but not impossible) time getting there with a Mosin (or any milsurp rifle). Staying there every time is an entirely different matter! Don't forget there are plently of people who can't shoot a moderen scoped rifle at 1MOA.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a fresh out of the box (no tweaking at all) PU sniper (around $600) that I can consistently hit at 900 yards with. I've got hits at 1000, but not consistent yet.

I will agree though a $700 Remington 700 will be easier to do that with, but there isn't any history and they're ugly. ;)

History?! One doesn't do history justice by slapping on poor fitting scope onto a battle rifle meant for use with iron sights. Enjoy the mosin for what it is and step up to the challenge of using iron sights - Simo Häyhä did.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    History?! One doesn't do history justice by slapping on poor fitting scope onto a battle rifle meant for use with iron sights. Enjoy the mosin for what it is and step up to the challenge of using iron sights - Simo Häyhä did.

Well, the PU Sniper did have the optic as part of its history... :) But you're right about the run-of-the-mill rifles.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI

I agree. All of my mosins are as original as possible. I was speaking of the history of my PU/PEM snipers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree. All of my mosins are as original as possible. I was speaking of the history of my PU/PEM snipers.

I haven't got one in my collection yet. But as a lefty, off-center scopes are a no-go so many CommBloc models are out for me.

Top Bottom