• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    I am thinking of replacing my stock 91/30 Mosin with an Archangel stock OR a Boyds replacement stock. Any thoughts on those that may have done this? Both have good options and aspects. So thoughts? TIA

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Man, I wish my employer had granted me Mosin stock options back when I first started working. I'd be rich! Sorry, couldnt help myself. Back to your question...

Short answer: Rifle is fine, leave it alone.
    Longer answer: Why spend money trying to turn a 75+ year-old rifle into something it's not? Want a modernized, high-power bolt gun? Go buy one. Savage, sako, ruger, Howa, tikka, bergara, etc all make reasonably priced guns with synthetic stocks.

Sell me your Mosin for $250, avoid buying a $150 - 250 stock for it, and buy yourself a modern 308, 30-06, 6.5CM, or whatever your heart desires. Or, you know, just shoot that Mosin as it is and enjoy it for what it is.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    Have to agree with others here, don't change the stock, leave it be or sell it to a milsurp collector and get yourself a modern rifle if that's what you're wanting.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    1681179368922.jpeg
    My bubba‘d up MN. Shoots just fine. I’m sure I’ve shot it more than I would have as a military configuration rifle.
    gun 49.00
    stock 120.00
    bolt work + hardware ~50.00

Guessing this was 30 years ago.

Not disparaging anyone’s opinion, just what I did. It is what you asked.

There are literally millions of them out in the world. Your rifle, your dime. Do what you want. Good luck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    5jlO.gif

;)

This thread reminds me it's time to renew my FFL03.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Another aspect to all of this besides simply destroying a nice collectible rifle is that the nations that produced these things spent a fair amount of time and money trying to get them right. They typically considered things like barrel harmonics and exactly where the contact points between stock and barrel should be. I know the British went to great lengths to get the #4, Mk.I stocked perfectly. The Swiss were famous for it. I don't know why people think they are going to make them shoot better by monkeying with them, the people involved in the original development weren't idiots.

Top Bottom