• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    So I just got back from the range, while there I had my mosin out loaded two rounds in it. Fired the first one, went to pull the bolt back nothing happened seems stuck or jammed closed. Opened the magazine well to get the other round out. After that I cocked the bolt back and then tried to open the bolt still the same, it seems stuck or jammed.

Any help would be appreciated, before I breakdown and take it to a gunsmith

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm betting this is the first time you've fired it? You, more than likely, have "sticky bolt." Some people have had to actually kick the bolt open or smack it it with a piece of wood.... but all is not lost! Search "Mosin sticky bolt" on this forum (or google) and you'll find out how to get rid of it. It's caused by cosmoline/crud and getting rid of it involves a section of cleaning rod, brush(s), solvent, and a drill.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Take solvent, I used Hoppes 9, then dip a patch in it. Put the patch on a Dremel or drill and let that sucker spin around in the action for a minute or so. Once you think your done, do it again. Then take your bolt completely apart, and wipe it down real good with the solvent. Use some light oil, and you should be good.

Don't use the surplus ammo with the laquered crap. That stuff doesn't help with sticky bolt. Use the copper wash stuff. After all this you should be good to go. I did it and my Mosin shoots like a dream. NO STICKY BOLT. I have fired over 200 rounds since doing this.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    get a 2x4 and beat the bolt open. then use one of the numerous methods of cleaning out the chamber to remove all the old cosmo/laquer/whatever. your "mosin sticky-bolt" problem will be gone!

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    to be honest, i DID use a bit of "finesse" when i beat the stuck bolt open on mine. after i cleaned it, though, it runs like it's supposed to.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Unless you've done some serious scrubbing of the chamber, it'll return when you fire it. What happens is when you fire the round the case expands and "grabs" any roughness present on the chamber wall, whether it be pitting or dried cosmolene, or whatever. Checking it even with a spent round won't assure you that it is clean enough, as that case has contracted and doesn't make full contact with the walls. What to do if it does return? Carry a short piece (10-12" long) big enough to slip over the bolt knob. When your bolt sticks, slip the pipe over the bolt handle and wha-la, instant extended bolt handle to give you more leverage. Then more scubbing of the chamber until the cases no longer stick.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    While you are cleaning it you might tighten the small screw on the floorplate of the magazine that holds the spring in place. While it won't cause a sticking bolt, it will create failure to feed.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    CLEAN the chamber, use a shotgun cleaning mop and use J&B Bore paste or Iosso bore polish on the mop. Apply the bore cleaner to the mop and clean the chamber with a cordless drill and cleaning rod. I mix Kroil and J&B paste on my mop and drill and it works like a champ on "any" chamber or bore.

The Cartridge is sticking to the chamber walls or bolt face and you lost primary extraction ability.

Trust me, been there, done that more than once.

Below my favorite "hangout". :D

IMGP6390.jpg

NOTE: Any older rifle can have grit and debris pounded into the chamber walls making them rough to open. A clean polished chamber makes extraction much easer. ;)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yep! It's happened on a few of mine, until I started polishing the chambers before taking them out to the range the first time. I also use Brake Kleen on all of em now to get the cosmolene out of the tight spots.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    CLEAN the chamber, use a shotgun cleaning mop and use J&B Bore paste or Iosso bore polish on the mop. Apply the bore cleaner to the mop and clean the chamber with a cordless drill and cleaning rod. I mix Kroil and J&B paste on my mop and drill and it works like a champ on "any" chamber or bore.

The Cartridge is sticking to the chamber walls or bolt face and you lost primary extraction ability.

Trust me, been there, done that more than once.

Below my favorite "hangout". :D

IMGP6390.jpg

NOTE: Any older rifle can have grit and debris pounded into the chamber walls making them rough to open. A clean polished chamber makes extraction much easer. ;)

Man, you are my hero.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    It is not uncommon for MN shooters to carry a large rubber mallet with them to the range, I understand these were standard issue to Russian troops during WWII!:): Seriously, take some brake cleaner and swab the bore, being careful NOT to get any of the brake cleaner on the wood & shellac. Cleaning the bolt itself usually will not change the situation. When you have mastered this Grasshopper you may proceed to buying an SVT40 with fluted chamber which will result in a Zen-like state of pristine bore blissfullness.

Top Bottom