• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Mosin 91/30 or Ruger 10/22?

YES! (Get both.) Different tools for different jobs. BTW, SmileDoc, don't discount the 10/22 as being only for children. They're good tools, albeit lesser in power by far than the Old Russian Hammer and the lessons you can learn in marksmanship on the 10/22 translate directly to larger caliber rifles.

I own and enjoy both.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    They are great wall hangers also. Not that I use mine for that. If my mosin ever hangs up on the wall then someone is gonna be in big trouble

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For first long gun I think it would be a good buy.
    Absolutely! I tried to talk my buddy into getting a really sharp M44 I saw at Bradis last weekend. I'm such a bad influence. ;) I'd have bought it myself if I hadn't been able to get another friend to sell me his dad's old Mauser.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He'll yeah. I'm gonna grab one soon
    :rockwoot: You won't be sorry! Get a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean the cosmoline off. Cheap and it works great. Take the gun completely apart (you'll need a screwdriver - the entire thing is basically held together with 2 screws - 4 if you count the 2 that hold the butt plate on) and blast away at all the metal parts with the brake cleaner before doing a regular clean and lube.

Gun minus 4 screws gets you to this:
    IMG_1004.jpg

Adamska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Michigan City
    I love my Mosin Nagant its a 1926 Ex Dragoon rifle (basicly its now a "M91/30") Russians converted alot of the older Mosin Nagants to 91/30s in the day. I wanted an M44 but could not find one...STILL WANT MORE MOSINS! like somebody else said the only reason they are so cheap is because the Russians made millions of them just M91/30's 17 million made (Russian Made)

Now take China Poland Romania etc....they all made em every communist nation had used it at some point just like the PPSH SKS AK47 series rifles

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love my Mosin Nagant its a 1926 Ex Dragoon rifle (basicly its now a "M91/30") Russians converted alot of the older Mosin Nagants to 91/30s in the day. I wanted an M44 but could not find one...STILL WANT MORE MOSINS! like somebody else said the only reason they are so cheap is because the Russians made millions of them just M91/30's 17 million made (Russian Made)

Now take China Poland Romania etc....they all made em every communist nation had used it at some point just like the PPSH SKS AK47 series rifles

True... my "M44" is really a Chinese T53. Same gun, different comrades building it. ;) My 91/30 is a Tula hex 1934 though.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My 16 year old son is a history buff & very interested in Russia & the Soviet Union. He got a 1932 Mosin Nagant with the hex receiver over the weekend. It came with all the accessories. He's already taken the gun apart at least three times to make sure all of the cosmoline is off the gun. He loves the gun and can't wait to fire it. Any tips from the pros for when he does finally get to shoot it?

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    If you need to put a hole in something, 7.62x54r will help a lot more than a .22. Plus, they are beautiful rifles, regardless of being surplus :)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My 16 year old son is a history buff & very interested in Russia & the Soviet Union. He got a 1932 Mosin Nagant with the hex receiver over the weekend. It came with all the accessories. He's already taken the gun apart at least three times to make sure all of the cosmoline is off the gun. He loves the gun and can't wait to fire it. Any tips from the pros for when he does finally get to shoot it?

Get a good stance with his feet, an put it tight to the shoulder, fire, then observe the big smile that will be plastered on his face:D. Just be sure to let him know to clean out the barrel with some water after shooting, if he is using any corrosive surplus ammo. An tell him to be safe an have fun:rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Get a good stance with his feet, an put it tight to the shoulder, fire, then observe the big smile that will be plastered on his face:D. Just be sure to let him know to clean out the barrel with some water after shooting, if he is using any corrosive surplus ammo. An tell him to be safe an have fun:rockwoot:

^^^^
    This! (I filled my oiler (the little can with two tops) with windshield washer solvent, but water works as well I'm told) I run a couple of soaked patches through it right after shooting, and then clean as usual when I get home. May be letting my nephew shoot one of mine this weekend. :)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Thanks sgreen3. I bought his bullets at Dunham's and they looked modern. How do I know if they are corrosive?
    How safe is it to use the ammo from the 1980's? We are considering buying the following after he has shot the gun to make sure he likes it.

Ammunitionstore.com has the following
    7.62x54r Ammo 148gr FMJ Waterproof Spam Can Russian Mfg 440 Rounds
    for $85.99
    Bullet Type: FMJ, Full Metal Jacket Steel Core
    Bullet Weight: 148gr
    Bullet Jacket: Bi-Metal
    Case: Bi-Metal
    Velocity: 2,750 ft/s
    Powder: Non-Corrosive
    Primer: Berdan Corrosive
    Amount: 20 Round Box
    Notes: Made in Russia. Sealed military spam can with 22 (20 round boxes) 1980's Manufacture date.
    This is military grade premium ammunition sealed in tin for long term storage.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Are they a name brand the ones you bought at dunnams? Normaly if they are non corrosive it will say on the box. But more than likley they are corrosive. Those listed in the spam can are mil surp and are corrosive, no big deal just clean out the bore with some water after he is done shooting

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks sgreen3. I bought his bullets at Dunham's and they looked modern. How do I know if they are corrosive?
    How safe is it to use the ammo from the 1980's? We are considering buying the following after he has shot the gun to make sure he likes it.

Ammunitionstore.com has the following
    7.62x54r Ammo 148gr FMJ Waterproof Spam Can Russian Mfg 440 Rounds
    for $85.99
    Bullet Type: FMJ, Full Metal Jacket Steel Core
    Bullet Weight: 148gr
    Bullet Jacket: Bi-Metal
    Case: Bi-Metal
    Velocity: 2,750 ft/s
    Powder: Non-Corrosive
    Primer: Berdan Corrosive
    Amount: 20 Round Box
    Notes: Made in Russia. Sealed military spam can with 22 (20 round boxes) 1980's Manufacture date.
    This is military grade premium ammunition sealed in tin for long term storage.

Again, what sgreen3 said... but if you wait until the Indy 1500 (or a gun show closer to you maybe) you can find this stuff for about the same price and avoid the shipping and handling. 440 rds of this ammo in a spam can is heavy - figure on around $24 shipping charge.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    No i belive only the older berdan primed stuff is corrosive. I know like the brown bear new production ammo is berdan primed but is non-corrosive.

Top Bottom