• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Looking into purchasing one of these with the purpose of adding a can in the near future. I'm looking for some feed back on the pros and cons of each. I have done some research, handled a bunch, and fired one of each (non-supressed). I am really leaning toward the Sig and adding a Gemtech; however, I'm just wondering what your experiences have been with the actual pistols. I'm not trying to start a "which can is better" thread, just want to know which pistol is the better recipient. Any opinions will be welcomed. Thanks

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have never owned a Mosquito, but I liked my old P22. The only thing I didn't like about the P22 was the uncaptured recoil spring. I used to shoot that oily SOB across my garage about every other time I cleaned it. I always wondered why they didn't come up with a sping like the Glock that was always captured on the rod.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    P22, no contest, i bought one, then dad had to have one and my wife fell i love with it and bought one too. Great gun, just have to break it in and keep it clean and it will shoot fine:ar15:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ive heard a lot of horror stories about both guns. Might want to at least look into a Ruger Mark II and having it threaded, I have heard a lot of good stories about them and will probably go that route. :twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a P22 and enjoy it very much. I have never shot it with a supressor though so I can't help much with that. I agree with curraheeguns about the recoil spring, what a PAIN!!! Other than that the p22 is a good shooter as long as I stick with high velocity ammo to ensure the action cycles reliably. While I have never fired a Mosquito I can't give any personal experience with it, but I have heard alot of negative comments about them. Good luck with your decision.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a Mosquito and my friend used to have a P22. I prefer the Mosquito for its larger size.

If you get a Mosquito don't expect to reliably feed it with cheep low powered .22LR. I've had about an 90% success rate with Federal American Eagle 38 grain Copper Plated High Velocity Hollow Point. The dirtier the Mosquito gets the less reliable it gets. The manual recommends CCI Mini-Mags and I've seen really good results with it.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    i second the ruger mk II or mk III I have had both of the pistols you are looking at and resold both the 2 sigs i tried werent very accurate and were jam o matics , i had 3 cracked slides dealing with the p 22's , i now have 2 threaded rugers a mk 2 and a 22/45 and love both of them threading and moving the sight back runs about $100 the threaded mosquito's need an adapter to screw a 1/2 28 can on them and you need the nut for the p 22 as well Go the ruger route and be done with it

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have 2 Mosquito's

One is my malfunction trainer, for several times each mag you get all types of malfunctions, it's off to Bruce Gray after the first of the year to see if he can make a difference with it, Sig could not.

My second is the threaded model that runs like a Swiss watch with all kinds of ammo and works best with of all things Remington sub-sonic. I run a Gemtech outback 2 muzzle can, that I move to several guns.

I want to look for a Browning Buckmark Camper "whisper" model that has the threaded barrel. Or have beech grove set me up with an upper for a buckmark, whichever I have the money for, Beech grove firearms will be the place.

They were the ones who sold me on the second mosquito and so far so good.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a Tac65 can on my P22 and it's my favorite range plinker. The P22 comes threaded from the factory. I've shot the Mosquito and HATED the 200 lb trigger on it.

M107

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'v got both and like both, the Sig is a little more finicky on ammo. My P22 has never had an issue,but if I were buying a gun to put a suppresor on I'd go for the P22.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thank You All.....

A BIG Thank You for all of the opinions, that's why I love this site. 21st got me hooked up today, so another thank you to Britton.
    DSC08328.jpg

JoeR-HI

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    I've seen Mosquitos break up just in front of the dust cover- the entire slide breaks circumferentially and separates.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Good choice on the P22...I have had mine at the range all day with the wife and kids and have yet to have a feeding issue when using Remington subsonic ammo. Even went as far as to shoot 200 rounds one day and not clean the pistol...go back 3 days later and shoot 200 more rounds with no malfunctions. I am happy with that level of performance.

Now for the can choice...I vote for the Yankee Hill Machine....theirs works as well or better than the TAC 65's my buddy and I have and they are SOOOOO easy to disassemble and clean.

I like them so much that I am looking at getting one this coming year to use on my 10/22.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I have had both and as far as reliability both were about the same, both are finicky on ammo, My latest Sig is the threaded version with a Gemtech and I like it very well. I run federal or Remington high velocity and have very little trouble out of my sig, untill it gets dirty, a shot of oil and she'll run some more. Eventually with the suppressor though it gets pretty fouled up.
    Im happy with the Sig but from all i have heard a good running sig may be the excpetion not the rule.

Top Bottom