• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I have loved the Mossberg 500. My dad loves his too.

I cant speak on the Maverick though. Just that in my experience you wont go wrong with the Mossberg.

And welcome to INGO.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The safety position is the most obvious feature. Crossbolt on the 88 and Tang on the 500.

Other than that I think most parts are interchangeable.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Maverick is a great choice

I just got my Maverick recently and I love it. It's the same gun with just a couple minor differences. Personally I like the safety on the maverick better because it works better with a tactical stock. They take Mossberg 500 barrels and accessories so you can't go wrong and it's cheaper.:twocents:

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    What will be the main purpose of this shotgun? If for home defense and on a budget go with an 88 one can be had for around 200 bucks then mount a quality light on it and call it a day.

If your planning on doing some more modding to it then go with a 500. The forends cannot be swapped out on an 88. The safety locations are mounted in different locations between the 2.

Which models are you looking at the 5+1 models or 7+1? You cannot add a mag extension to either or thats why I ask

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The 500 has never done me wrong, first shotgun I ever bought and still shoots just fine. All the available accessories are a bonus too!

gunmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    What will be the main purpose of this shotgun? If for home defense and on a budget go with an 88 one can be had for around 200 bucks then mount a quality light on it and call it a day.

If your planning on doing some more modding to it then go with a 500. The forends cannot be swapped out on an 88. The safety locations are mounted in different locations between the 2.

Which models are you looking at the 5+1 models or 7+1? You cannot add a mag extension to either or thats why I ask
    there both a 5+1

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I used to have an old 500 ..back when they still had single rails on the pumps...it had been around the block LONG before I ever became owner of it and it functioned perfectly for me for years...through hunting, plinking and competition.

recently i wanted to buy a 12 gauge pump for home defensse and MAYBE an occasional competition. I went straight for the Mossberg line. On a budget so i looked for a realy nice used 500 with an 18" - 20" barrel.

I ended up buying the Maverick 12gauge with 20" barrel and extended magazine (7+1). I love it. I only wish it had the tang safety instead of the trigger forward button. Bought it brand new for a song.

My wife, who is NOT a shooter at all, handles it really well (too well and it makes me a bit uncomfortable and very nice to her)

The maverick 12 gauge with 18.5" barrel (5+1) can be bought brand new on sale for $159 fairly regularly around here. For a home defense shotgun, it is well worth the price.

In all reality, if you or your spouse has a smaller frame, a 20 gauge will more than get the job done for home defense and recoil is much more manageable.

Either way...the maverick or the 500 will serve you well. I score +3 stars for the maverick...+5 stars for the 500.

Top Bottom