• Mossberg or Remmington

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Having a tug of war on what to purchase between Mossberg 500 or Remmington 870. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any models you would suggest?

Wants:
    12 gauge
    Use for home defense and field/hunt
    I just don't want pistol grip as my only option (prefer buttstock)
    Reliable
    Shoot anything
    I don't want to go over 500

Models that have been mentioned as of now (to purchase)

Remington 870 18" w/ extended mag and rear pistol grip

Remington 870 Express field 26" or 28"

Mossberg 500 Classic (hi-gloss wood) or Flex (synthetic)

Mossberg 500 w/ 18" barrel and wood stock

Remington 870 combos

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have the 870 18" and love it. I also have a Mossberg 20g. It functions flawlessly as well, but does not feel as good in the hands to me as the Remington.

Either way they are both great shotguns.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Don't like the loading gate on an 870 it slows me down, can reload the 500 much faster.

Both I have owned and both have always function well.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Let's be clear, Mossberg is cheap. Remington is affordable (well, I suppose you could say the Express line is cheap). But as far as I know, there is no comparison as to which is a better choice, only as to how much you want to spend. The Remington 870 is the most renowned shotgun in America and it is practically infallible. Mossberg is just cheap.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Mossberg offers the 500 in a field/ home defense combo. It comes with an 18 inch and 28 inch barrel. You get the best of both worlds. You can easily change Mossberg to any barrel you want They just screw off and on I believe. I don't know if you can do that as easily with Remington. I've never actually looked at them closely.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Let's be clear, Mossberg is cheap. Remington is affordable (well, I suppose you could say the Express line is cheap). But as far as I know, there is no comparison as to which is a better choice, only as to how much you want to spend. The Remington 870 is the most renowned shotgun in America and it is practically infallible. Mossberg is just cheap.

And infallible.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    After having owned four Mossberg 500s, and two Remington 870s, honestly I vote for the Mossberg.

I've seen too many ejection issues with Remingtons lately.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I've had both and prefer the Moss500. My Rem870 would have trouble feeding the Winchester bulk ammo. It liked the Federal bulk or Remington ammo. The Moss500 ate everything.

I don't feel this was specific to my Rem870, I've seen this with 4 others of friends/family.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If no pistol grip, then I prefer the mossberg tang safety, I put the Brownell's improved safety button on mine. I also prefer Mossberg's lack of a loading gate, and slide release placement. For a pistol grip, then Remington all the way.

You really cannot go wrong with either.

Last edited:

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    Saftey placement, slide lock position and loading gate. Find which one fits you better when controlling the gun and get that one, other than that its FORD VS CHEVY.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I did not vote because I own and like both. My 870 is my deer gun and is set up with slug barrel and scope, it has no other use but this. My Mossberg 500 is my home defense shotgun and is set up for nothing but that.

I would more than likely give the edge to the mossberg For anything besides deer hunting ( because of forend rattle). I like the tang safety as well as the extra round the Mossberg provides for home defense over the Remington.

I have other shotguns for other uses, the two above were what you are asking about.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have handled and shot quite a few Mossberg shotguns, never have liked the feel of most of them. Most of them belonged to friends and I never heard any complaints about them, my friends all seem happy with their Mossbergs. I personally have owned, shot and hunted with Remington shotguns for a lot of years now. I own two 870s, one 12ga and one 20ga, a 12ga 11/87 and a 20ga 1100. I have never had a problem with any of my Remingtons. I would not trade any one of them for two Mossbergs.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a Mossberg 500. It rattles. It has been tossed in the woods. It always functions how it is suppose to. I've got friends that went the Remington route. I've shot them. They did what they were suppose to.

I like the Mossberg safety setup a little more as it seems more natural to me. Handle some and see what you like. You can't really go too wrong with either of them.

After having owned four Mossberg 500s, and two Remington 870s, honestly I vote for the Mossberg.

I've seen too many ejection issues with Remingtons lately.

I don't think that is specific to a certain model. I know someone that bought one of the Versa Max shotguns and it has been back to Remington for ejection issues, cutting shells, and feed issues. Work was done on the shotgun and the problem was still there but not to the degree that it was.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Both great guns. One thing to consider is the slide release position for each. The requires you to remove your finger from the trigger guard. Not a big deal to me but others have commented on it before as a point of contention. Others like it as it adds additional safety.

Top Bottom