• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have an old hand-me-down Mossberg 500ATP with a 26 inch barrel and a buddy just borrowed it for the Youth Turkey hunt this weekend. He said when they went to use it (got a Tom with a six inch beard btw) it slid open a bit and they had to slide it back shut before firing.

I don't use the gun much at all as I shoot Remington's. So I'm a little Mossberg ignorant. I just put an "empty" shell in it and their observation is correct you can pull it open with just a little effort. Shouldn't it lock up though so you don't chance it sliding open when firing it? No shell in it... and it locks up to where you have to press the slide behind the trigger to unlock the gun for loading.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Sounds like the slide release is stuck engaged or you have something broken in the trigger assembly. Regardless it is not safe and should be serviced.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My 500 locks, if I want to eject the shell there is a button on the left side of the trigger guard that releases the lock so the bolt can be opened

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Sounds like the slide release is stuck engaged or you have something broken in the trigger assembly. Regardless it is not safe and should be serviced.

Thanks for the direction. I'll drop the trigger assembly and take a look around.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hey guys, while were on the subject of Mossberg pump actions locking up prior to firing. I've got a question about that.
    I've got an model 835 that locks up just fine but when I shoot 3-1/2" shells, the action unlocks and opens on it's own. It doesn't seem to do it with 2-3/4" or 3" shells but then they don't kick nearly as hard either. I thought that it was because of me so I fired it without holding onto the forearm and it still opened up like an auto. I've looked it over real good but nothing appears to be wrong with it. Any ideas?

Top Bottom