• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hey all. I'm about to pick one of these up off of a fellow INGOer. My question, being that I'm not a huge shotgun guy is this; what type of fixed choke is on this firearm? I can't seem to find much info on it at all. Manufactured in '02 and its the 500A. I've read some have the fixed cylinder choke? :dunno:

Any help out there? Thanks in advance guys.

ALSO: Does anyone know if the pistol grip AND butt stock can be installed at the same time?

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I believe it should be roll marked on the barrel. I personally prefer the 20" tube over the 18". No particular reason, just like the longer barrel. The Persuader is a nice shot gun too.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I believe it should be roll marked on the barrel. I personally prefer the 20" tube over the 18". No particular reason, just like the longer barrel. The Persuader is a nice shot gun too.

Thanks, I'll take a look when I pick it up I s'pose. If it's cylinder, are slugs ok to put through it? Don't know a whole heap about shotguns. :n00b:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think the improved cylinder gives you the best accuracy besides a smooth bore or rifled slug barrel. Just grab a couple different types of slugs and practice, you will see what works the best first hand!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I think the improved cylinder gives you the best accuracy besides a smooth bore or rifled slug barrel. Just grab a couple different types of slugs and practice, you will see what works the best first hand!

Thanks again, you're pretty damned informative ;) Hey, wouldn't happen to know a good website that's easy to navigate, for accessories for this shotty?

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm pretty sure I have heard bad things about POP guns... Not %100 sure though.
    Check out TacticalShotgunner.com They are in IN and are an INGO sight supporter.
    I got all of my shotgun upgrades from brownells though. I like them and Midway because they have just about anything for almost any gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm pretty sure I have heard bad things about POP guns... Not %100 sure though.
    Check out TacticalShotgunner.com They are in IN and are an INGO sight supporter.
    I got all of my shotgun upgrades from brownells though. I like them and Midway because they have just about anything for almost any gun.

True, Brownells is a great site, as well as Cheaper than dirt. Shipping wears me out on some of those sights though, I bought a Beretta 92 mag off Cheaper than dirt once, mag was $16.99, after shipping and handling it cost me $34.99. Gee whiz. :rolleyes:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Yeah CTD will screw you on shipping. I usually check the three sites just listed (along with a few others depending on what I am looking for) for prices including shipping before I order.
    I usually call my dad to see if he needs anything too just in case, so we can split shipping.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Yeah CTD will screw you on shipping. I usually check the three sites just listed (along with a few others depending on what I am looking for) for prices including shipping before I order.
    I usually call my dad to see if he needs anything too just in case, so we can split shipping.

Thanks man, always grateful for wise advice. :D Launching some highly awesome rep to your coordinates in 3...2...1...:rockwoot:

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    The 18.5" and 20" Persuaders have a regular cylinder bore, slugs can be shot without an issue. There's no provision to add a choke unless you have it threaded for one.
    If you're referring to the pistol grip that comes in the Mossberg combo kit, it's either the pistol grip or the standard buttstock. If you want a pistol grip buttstock, there are a LOT of aftermarket options including ones with folding stocks.
    I prefer the 20" 500s, not so much for the extra 1.5" of barrel but because of the extra 2 or 3 shell capacity. I've had quite a few of both the 18.5" and 20" and they're great shotguns for the money. Some people will call me crazy but I actually prefer the 500 and 590 to the Remington 870.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The 18.5" and 20" Persuaders have a regular cylinder bore, slugs can be shot without an issue. There's no provision to add a choke unless you have it threaded for one.
    If you're referring to the pistol grip that comes in the Mossberg combo kit, it's either the pistol grip or the standard buttstock. If you want a pistol grip buttstock, there are a LOT of aftermarket options including ones with folding stocks.
    I prefer the 20" 500s, not so much for the extra 1.5" of barrel but because of the extra 2 or 3 shell capacity. I've had quite a few of both the 18.5" and 20" and they're great shotguns for the money. Some people will call me crazy but I actually prefer the 500 and 590 to the Remington 870.

Thanks, and yeah I was referring to the pistol grip and stock combo that comes with the shotgun. I did find some nice pistol and butt stock combos. Would a smith be able to thread the barrel easily for the use of chokes? I know the additional barrels are quite costly. How much would a threading be approximately? I know zilch about such things :n00b:

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I don't know what it would cost, I've never bothered having a 20" shotgun threaded for a choke. I've never seen the need. I would think most 'smiths that specialize in trap/skeet/hunting shotguns would be able to bore and thread the muzzle end for a choke, it's done internally so it might affect the bead sight up front since some barrel material would obviously be taken away. Seems like most shotguns with removable chokes are vent rib models.

Another option you might consider, Mossberg makes a different 500 combo that has a regular stock but 2 barrels- an 18.5" and I think a 28" vent rib. That might be more of an all-around gun if you're looking to shoot longer distances (which I'm assuming you are since you're asking about chokes). The downfall is it'll be the 6-shot version instead of the 8-shot. The 20" model has a longer magazine tube that they don't make a longer barrel for, but the 6-shot version has all kinds of barrels available.

Top Bottom