• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    My son just inherited his late grandfather's New Haven 600AT (Mossberg 500A) and the safety is missing. Are these parts easy to find (that aren't $20)? Is there a simple home-made solution? Here is a picture, it appears that everything is there except for the actual button.
    IMG_20140316_202314.jpg

Last edited:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Midway or Brownells can hook you up with a replacement or with an 'up-graded" steel button - original is plastic. There are several pieces, I'm not sure which are present on which side of the receiver. Lots of schematics online to show you though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware the steel replacement. I remember reading that its plastic for a reason... Mossberg found the metal ones were actually less reliable in some way that I dont recall offhand. Sorry, only the fact that they had a reason to stick with plastic stuck in my brain.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Plate, screw and detent are there, yup all you need is the button.
    Replaced quite a few with plastic or aluminum of standard design, no problems.
    Might want an offset one if planning on scoping it for deer hunting :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Plate, screw and detent are there, yup all you need is the button.
    Replaced quite a few with plastic or aluminum of standard design, no problems.
    Might want an offset one if planning on scoping it for deer hunting :)

Or just get the barrel with the integrated scope mount and it wont be in the way. :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cantilevers usually place the scope way too high (even with higher comb stocks), they tend to not be the great fix many think.

I like mine. :dunno:

No, I dont get optimum cheek placement, but I also dont have to re-sight my scope after I take it off for tree rat season. :rockwoot:

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    My son is using this for a youth trap club he just started in. Next year we will be getting him a new one (if all goes to plan (like life ever goes according to plans lol)) then I have a feeling he will keep it stock just like his grandfather had it. I will try to call Mossberg tomorrow, I could not get through today because I waited to close to work time and there was a long wait. Thanks for the input guys!!!

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Always go with the factory part first. Mossberg 500 have been around a very long time so parts should be out there. I had a friend who had issues with a plinkster model and mossberg treated him real well, give them a try first.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I just did mine. I had an aluminum one in there - it broke for no apparent reason - sheared through the screw hole. Mossberg will send you a replacement (plastic). The plastic ones are actually more durable than the aluminum ones. You'll also need to use a new screw - they are one way and your old one may be no good - can't tell from pic.

I purchased a steel one from Brownells. Don't recall price, but it is MUCH better than either the plastic or aluminum ones. While I was at it I purchased a bag of socket head screws from Brownells and discarded the silly one way screw that Mossberg use. I can post item number if you need it (they are abit long, but 2 mins with a hacksaw and file fix that). I used blue Loctite to make sure it never backs out unless I want it to.

I now have a safety system that is worth more than the gun - but I feel very safe

$20 is cheap to avoid an accident

Update:

BROWNELLS MOSSBERG 500 SAFETY ($20)

6-32 X 3/4 STD SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW ($6 per dozen)

Trim to same length as original screw. If you have it too long pumping the action will disengage the safety.

There are a number of videos on Youtube - here is one showing safety take-down and assembly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPVgWduJ2ts

Here is how mine turned out

Above c.jpg

Side c.jpg

Last edited:

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Just uploaded pics of how it looks when done. The head of the screw looks awkward in the pics, but in actuality it makes a nice little additional step and feels very comfortable and positive to use. Makes a big difference when wearing gloves - steel forever.

Top Bottom