• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    I purchased gun and picked up last thursday.I inspected gun and everything looked fine,got the gun home loaded the speed feed stock with 2 shells on each side and the butt pad pushed away from stock and fell off.I checked the butt pad out and there is nothing solid in it to keep the screws from pushing thru it from the pressure of the springs when shell are stored in stock.I called mossberg and was informed that the butt pads were defective from factory and were supossed to be updated on new model mossbergs with speed feed stocks.I gave him serial number of my gun and it was newer model that did not get updated butt pad.New butt pad was to be shipped out to me in 2 days,no butt pad called moosberg today and was told it would be shipped mon. or tuesday of next week and might be delivered thurs. or fri.This will be over 2 weeks i have had a brand new gun that i have not been able to shoot over a defective butt pad.This is suppose to be one of mossbergs top of the line shotguns for home defense and butt pad falls of before i can shoot it.It should not take 2 weeks to get a replacement butt pad when mossberg already new they were defective.I will post update if butt pad ever shows .

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Wow...
    Somewhere Ithaca is smiling in firearms heaven, knowing they moved on without compromising their quality. Thanks for the write up.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing the updates. I've thought about these shotguns for home defense as it has the features I want at a reasonable price, but haven't seen alot of info or reviews.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I've gotten several parts from direct from mossberg to replace things I lost, and they always provided them for free, but it usually took 7-10 just to leave the warehouse.

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Talked to mossberg today 10/08/12 and got the 3rd different shipping date for recoil pad 10/12/12.Asked to speak to superviser,joe customer service superviser informed me that i was first with this problem with recoil pad coming off of speed feed stock.informed him that was bull sh--.The first person i talked to at mossberg admitted they knew about it,and there was a picture of it on mossberg owners.com.and several posts about it on computer.He changed his tune and agreed to ship me one tomorow10/09/12 .At this point i am thru with mossberg and will never buy anything that they try to make again.This recoil pad is made just for speed feed stocks it has plastic cups molded in it for springs to fit in.This is the only reason i keep dealing with mossberg and don't install another recoil pad.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I used to have a speedfeed on my 870 (hated the stock btw, hence "used to") that had the same issue. I made a plate out of a piece of scrap sheet metal to go between the stock and recoil pad so the spring tension wasn't directly against the rubber. Problem solved, I have no idea why that wasn't part of the design originally.

I eventually replaced the stock with a Knoxx recoil reducing one and a side saddle that is much easier to load from than those silly +2 compartments on either side of the speedfeed.

As much as it pains me to say, being a die hard 870 guy, it's not Mossberg's fault. Those stocks are poorly designed.

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    I agree that these speed feed stocks are poorly designed,but mossberg installs them on there guns and puts there name on the recoil pads,and then gives there customers grief when they fail.I am going to install knox recoil reducing stock on my gun,this is going to cost a lot more than i planned on spending on a gun for home defense.I blame this added expense on a junk stock and recoil pad that mossberg installed on a so called top of the line shotgun for home defense.I am still waiting for replacement pad,gun was paid for on 09/17/12.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am going to install knox recoil reducing stock on my gun,this is going to cost a lot more than i planned on spending on a gun for home defense.

Get your 50 quality posts or donate for site supporter status and keep an eye on the classifieds. I picked mine up on here for a very reasonable price.

404200109.jpg

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    I have already found one at local gun shop,but i am not going to purchase it until i get to shoot new gun and make sure that there is nothing else wrong with it.I will shoot at least 200 rounds thru gun of 00 buck before i put any more money in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both my Mossberg's ( 590/930) run fine and have been tortured on occasion. I had an issue with the 930 when my son assembled it wrong and the gas ring assembly was broken. I called Mossberg and they got me the parts in 8 working days for a reasonable price. Son broke it so my son paid for it.
    Sorry to hear you can not shoot the new gun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have already found one at local gun shop,but i am not going to purchase it until i get to shoot new gun and make sure that there is nothing else wrong with it.I will shoot at least 200 rounds thru gun of 00 buck before i put any more money in it.

This is going to pain my 870 soul again, but I'm certain the gun itself will function flawlessly, It's a Mossberg FFS. IMO they made a poor decision to put those stocks on their guns, but it was a business decision, and they know people pay extra for silly things.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm looking at buying this exact shotgun. Mostly because I like the way the sights are setup and the capacity. The speedfeed stock may be the first thing replaced/upgraded. Any updates on how Mossberg handled the issue?

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    i don't know if any of you noticed but this isn't my first count i had more transactions on here then half of ingo

Top Bottom