• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    My cousin (by marriage) brought his Mossberg 702 plinkster over the other day, for me to correctly mount the scope. We got the scope turned slightly, (the crosshair was not vertical) and went to shoot a few, to see where we were at. At this moment, we realized he failed to bring the magazine. I loaded one in the chamber by hand, which is not an easy task on this model, squeezed the trigger and, CLICK. Nothing. I did show evidence of a primer strike, just very light. We tried again, and CLICK. Nothing again. It made me wonder if the magazine has to be in this model in order for it to operate. If it does not, then I guess an e-mail to Mossberg, and possibly a new firing pin is where I will start. Anyone have one that can give me any advice?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i have a plinkster, i do not believe the mag has to be in. If you would like i could check tomorrow for sure.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I would try a few things first. A good cleaning, make sure you have the magazine and few different kinds of ammo. Let us know though because I have been kicking around the idea of getting one.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Not that I know of, but I did After the FTF. Now I need to order a new recoil spring!:whistle:

did you bend the recoil spring to hell? the first time i took my 702 apart i bent the crap out of the recoil spring trying to get it in. i just compressed it in the spring guide rod to get it back to shape and have had no trouble with it at all.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Yep. Bent it to hell. Was using a pair of hemostats to try to straighten it and broke it. Firing pin looked ok, and the ammo with the light strikes fired out of my old Wards Western so?:dunno: Do you put the spring on the guide rod, then into the bolt, and try to sneak it back into that receiver?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    what i do is flip the gun upside down and have the bolt on the trigger/hammer area. i install the spring into the bolt and push the guide rod in the spring. then i tilt the assembly and try to get the boltguide to slide into the hole in the top back where it goes in.then i take a small flat head and push the bolt face back and the whole thing slides in. once i get it all together i will lower the front so i can install the bolt pull back. that little black back piece i usually install first before the whole lower assembly but it will get knocked around a bit during install. so just shake it until its in the proper location.to put the dowel pins in.

Its really hard to describe, my 702 could use some cleaning, so if this doesnt make sense to you i could take some pictures

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Alright i got bored and needed to pull it apart anyway, plus i take every chance i have to show off my 702, one of my favorite guns!:rockwoot::D
    Step 1.
    702takedown001.jpg
    put it together like this with the spring guide rod in the center of the spring

Step 2.
    702takedown003.jpg
    install it like this and manuever the spring and guide rod into this little hole, i was able to get my fingers in and line it up with this hole
    702takedown002.jpg

step 3. Use a flat head screw driver or your finger and push the bolt back like this while pushing down
    702takedown004.jpg

Step 4. Boom !
    702takedown005.jpg

step 5. lift up the back until you slide this bad boy in
    702takedown006.jpg
    when its in, push the setup back down.

step 6. slide front down and install bolt pull back
    702takedown007.jpg

push front back up and install front pin. that little back black piece may have moved so you may have to shake it around until you can install the back pin.

step. 7 install it all back together
    702takedown008.jpg

step 8. celebrate because you just beat the mossberg 702 at its own game, with a 1lb cheese burger
    IMG_20110720_040056.jpg

step 9. take some pictures of the gun so you can show it off to all your gun buddies
    mossberg702002.jpg

( I am not a certified gunsmith or mossberg employee. anything i have said is based 100% on my personal experience with the mossberg 702 plinkster rifle and am in no way responsible for anything bad that happens during it.)

Top Bottom