• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I was at my local GS today and seen the new Mossberg MVP bolt action rifle in 5.56. These are a nice rifle and I like the fact that they use the AR mags. I looked at the Varmint model. They have a adj. trigger, 4-16x50 scope, Bipod and a spiral fluted bolt. This would be a great Bolt gun to go with any AR in 5.56.. But I have never shot one and I don't know anyone who has one. Can anyone here tell me how you like them or how you don't?????

Thanks,
    Littlejoe

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My son and I each have one. Very accurate. As in touching bullet holes at 100 yards accurate. The action and the build is no where near the quality of a Winchester model 70, even though they cost what a model seventy cost when they were last available. They do function well. The 0ne in 9 twist barrel WILL stablize a 75 or 77 gr bullets. Conventional wisdom says 9 twist is too slow, but they do stabilze the heavy bullets. The adjustable trigger is a nice feature, not a great quality but but not bad. The stock proportions are a little on the small side and if you are over 6' tall you will need to extend the buttplate for proper cheek weld in position. The little bolt hold open tab on the bottom of the bolt does not work well with all magazines. That does not bother me, I can tell when a bolt gun is out of ammo. Fun little gun that WILL make nice groups. It is not a premium rifle.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have one and like it. Good solid basic rifle, with the benefits of rapid 10-round+ reloads with AR mags, which was the main selling point for me (I wanted to use it for an Appleseed shoot where there were 10-shot strings and a time limit). The metal AR mags seem to lock into place easier than the polymer Magpul P-mags. The stock is nice; it has some plastic hardware between the action and stock, but all the action and functional parts seem well-made. The bolt release is easy to use. I haven't done exhaustive accuracy work with it yet, so I don't know its real potential, but I did manage to qualify Rifleman at an Atterbury 400 yd. KD shoot with it. Don't be fooled by the trigger; it has the little thingy projecting out the front of the trigger blade, but is not a hair-trigger - mine breaks at 2.5 pounds on my RCBS spring scale. (It would be nice if they made them in .308; at the correct weight and with a proper optic, it could be a Scout rifle at much less cost than other offerings).

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I was at my local GS today and seen the new Mossberg MVP bolt action rifle in 5.56. These are a nice rifle and I like the fact that they use the AR mags. I looked at the Varmint model. They have a adj. trigger, 4-16x50 scope, Bipod and a spiral fluted bolt. This would be a great Bolt gun to go with any AR in 5.56.. But I have never shot one and I don't know anyone who has one. Can anyone here tell me how you like them or how you don't?????

Thanks,
    Littlejoe

Before you buy it, check out the action of the bolt. Some have come out of the factory with VERY STIFF bolts.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/208993-mossberg-mvp-disappointment.html

Ask and you shall receive. :): Out of stock at the moment,:(, but they do make them. Here's the link to it on Davisison's.

www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

Those used to be listed on Mossberg's web site. But they've been removed. :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Ive had mine since March I believe. It just keeps getting better and better. Mine is the 20" Predator model very light,compact and fast handling. I can say that this rifle has really shot everything I have put through it very well. from 52 grn Sierra Sptizers, 60 grn V-Max and 69grn BTHP. It has shot all very well. The bolt is a little clunky but I have gotten use to it and it has smoothed out a little. I like to use the 20 round GI mags with it but Pmags works too. I think the trigger is pretty nice after 1500 or so rounds through it, but I am admittedly not a trigger whore. All my rifles have stock triggers in them.
    I shot mine at a KD event I had one shot out of the black out to 500 yards with it and I never got the shot off, I fumbled my magazine change in the seated position. Where this rifle will really shine at is when coyote season opens back up, it is a nearly perfect rifle for carrying all day from stand to stand hunting the dogs. You guys that have the funny looking stocks and the long bull barrels not so much, but I never shoot from a bench so the Predator fits me very well.

Top Bottom