• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    Hey everyone, so I am looking into buying my first bolt gun. I am really wanting a 308. Well I have always wanted a Remington 700 with the AIC but that is some good $$$. Well I recently stumbled upon a nice looking bolt 308 with a scope (barska), a bipod sitting on a shelf and a treaded barrel with Silencer Co muzzle device in a LGS. It also has the Fluted barrel and fluted bolt.

My question is, has anyone ever dealt with one of the Patriot Night Train rifles?

Pros and Cons?

Would you suggest this rifle?

My plans with this rifle will be a coyote gun and suppressor host.

Thank you guys for the help!

Michael

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Excellent choice. I've looked at the Patriot and it checks a lot of boxes. I think it'd be a great first bolt action to learn on what you do or do not like. The only negative I see is that the aftermarket is non-existant.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not to muddy the waters... but...
    The T/C Venture is a GREAT rifle for the money, as is the Ruger American (and American Varmint) rifles, a close 2nd to these are the mid-line offerings from Howa
    Is budget around/under $700

As budget increases, say to $1000, options open up.
    Depending on budget, the ruger precision is an excellent choice.
    Also, at this price point you can get a well setup Rem 700 ($1000-$1500 w/o glass) and then you have an insane amount of aftermarket support, but then it will become a money pit and you'll likely end up in the $3k range -- based on the experiences of many friends and family.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    In my opinion, the bolts feel really sloppy on the Mossberg bolt action rifles. I've worked with guns and have handled a lot of them, but haven't fired them. For a budget rifle, I'd recommend the Ruger American line like throttletony said. They have amazing reviews and an amazing lineup offering with barrel lengths anywhere from 16 inches to 24 inches. Calibers from .223 to 300 WinMag. I own three Ruger Americans, and they have blown everyone out of the water for budget rifles. If I were the one shopping, I would avoid the Remington and Mossberg budget bolt action rifles...

Thanks, Ethan

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    Dicks Sporting goods usually has both Savage and Remington in heavy barrel .308 for around $600 scoped. You don’t have to spend a bunch of money these days to have a sub-moa bolt gun. The Remington 700 sps has a 26” heavy contour barrel and will pretty much out shoot most of us. And there are enough aftermarket products out there that as you progress so can your rifle. Buy once cry once but the difference in price can’t be that much. Save your money and buy something that you can modify to suit you. I don’t know too many people that doesn’t change something on their rifle. The Savage Axis in heavy barrel might be a good option at or below the $400 mark.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When I was researching bolt action .308's the Mossberg Night Train fell short in almost every review by someone who has shot something else. Anyone who has shot a Savage, Remington, or Howa said that the action on the Mossberg was clunky and they were only able to get 1.5-2 MOA out of it. For it being a sub $500 rifle, I guess it would be an alright one to start out with if your budget is that low, but even over that I would also have to recommend a Savage Axis, which I generally do not recommend at all. As others have stated, you can get more for your money with just a little bit more. The Remington 700 SPS or a Savage 10 would offer a heck of a lot more aftermarket support for upgrades in the future as well as a much smoother action and better barrel.

Top Bottom