• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    T/C Encore or Contender.

This could be cheating a bit, since they are single-shots, and designed for accuracy. Oh yeah, they can have a 16" barrel too, and that sure doesn't hurt accuracy!

I love my Contender.
    My .357mag barrel is 10" and much more accurate than any of my other .357mag handguns.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am with BBI's. You have a variety of quality revolvers available within budget that will most likely outshoot you. It is one of those things that if you have to ask we know you are not going to shoot with the national champions. No insult, just matter of fact. That said, my advice is to put fingerprints on a number of quality revolvers (shooting them if the opportunity is available) and buy the one that is most comfortable for you to operate.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    MOST handguns are probably capable of greater accuracy than the person holding it, right out of the box.

Most 'accuracy mods' (trigger jobs, sights, mags / mag wells, grips, etc.) are done to benefit the shooter, not the inherent accuracy of the handgun.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MOST handguns are probably capable of greater accuracy than the person holding it, right out of the box.

Most 'accuracy mods' (trigger jobs, sights, mags / mag wells, grips, etc.) are done to benefit the shooter, not the inherent accuracy of the handgun.

That, and other mods are done to bump the bottom line while making the shooter feel good about something that either just doesn't make a difference or doesn't make a difference to anyone who is not a top national competitor like the titanium firing pin a certain purveyor of Glock mods offered that improved lock time by something like .00000001 second.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    The most accurate .357 was my Colt Python with a 6" barrel. I regretted well... a little... traded it for a M&P15T. But I doubt you could find one for $800.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I nice young Indiana State Police Trooper from southern Indiana recommended getting a used .357 mag SS S&W model 66 with a 6 inch barrel. I found one at the local gun show and paid around 500.00. It's really nice. I had Brett Havlin (Havlin Firearms) tune the trigger and it's a real find. I don't think you'll find anything much better even new out of the box.

Different folks all have different opinions but for the money it doesn't get any better than S&W model 66. Shoot fleas on fence post at 35 yards.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Many of you may not of heard of this one. I have owned several .357's, S&W Taurus, Dan Wesson. But the most accurate, scary accurate one was a CzechPoint 6' .357 revolver. I shot same hole groups at 10yds. At first I thought I was missing the target all together. Then the gunshop owner I worked for shot it. Same result. Simply amazing. Like a fool I sold it. They havent had any in stock for like two years. If you can find one, buy it!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The older smith's, J-frame and N-frame, do not handle the hot mag loads as well as the Ruger's, not an opinion, they were known for having a soft frame. They then upgraded to 585/686 models, L-frame, to take the magnum abuse, do not known enough about the Md 60 or 66. I personally like the GP-100 with 6"bbl have shot the Blackhawk in 44mag with crazy accuracy also. So, go out and find a 686 and GP-100 to decide which fits YOU better. The Smith's sometimes have better triggers but the Ruger's can be pretty awesome and IMO are easier to upgrade the trigger. Either one will be less than 800.00

Opt for one with pachmar grips especially if want to shoot a lot at one time. 357's can have very heavy recoil, you will be glad you did.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    20100111_13.jpg

best I've ever had.
    find a good used s&w 627 and shoot the daylights out of it.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The older smith's, J-frame and N-frame, do not handle the hot mag loads as well as the Ruger's, not an opinion, they were known for having a soft frame. They then upgraded to 585/686 models, L-frame, to take the magnum abuse, do not known enough about the Md 60 or 66. I personally like the GP-100 with 6"bbl have shot the Blackhawk in 44mag with crazy accuracy also. So, go out and find a 686 and GP-100 to decide which fits YOU better. The Smith's sometimes have better triggers but the Ruger's can be pretty awesome and IMO are easier to upgrade the trigger. Either one will be less than 800.00

Opt for one with pachmar grips especially if want to shoot a lot at one time. 357's can have very heavy recoil, you will be glad you did.

Maybe J & K frames, but the N-frames don't even remotely have trouble with hot .357 loads.

Oh, and to answer the OP, a Smython is likely the most accurate .357. But you probably won't find one for under $800.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've owned a good many brands and sizes of .357 revolvers over the last few decades. Most came, stayed a while and eventually moved on. While there are some which came very close, none were more consistently accurate from my hands as either of the two Monson-made Dan Wesson M15-2s I bought 'way back in the mid 1970's. I still have and shoot both of them many years and many, many thousands of rounds later. Nothing's broken nor worn out although they both show some miles cosmetically. Functionally they remain well-timed, lock up snugly and evidence only very minimal cylinder play rotationally or axially.

Other's MMV, but along with their carbine companion (my beloved IMI Timberwolf pump) I consider them to be about the most versatile and practical firearms that I own.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A Freedom Arms might be at the top accuracy wise.

Can't afford one, besides my old Python shoots good enough ;)

Ruger SA's ? Grew up shooting bunches, owned a few, still have one. Not thrilled.

If I was to buy one and be done today.........it'd be a 6" Smith 686. Pre lawyer lock.
    Don't care for the looks of the "plus" versions either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    the first time I felt the trigger on the Chappa Rhino. I never felt a smoother action. the one I handled was the 2 inch.
    I set out and found a 4 inch. the first firing I shot 38s. I was very impressed with the lack of lift for a handgun. it was less than my 9mm autos.
    When I got use to the double action. I loaded 357s. I was prepared for a hell of a kick back. it was the same as the 38s.
    just everyone at the range knew I went to the bigger load.
    I kept moving the target back. I kept the small grouping.
    I had only one problem. When I short loaded it. I loaded it like a regular 6 gun. It did not fire any round. I dropped the cylinder. None of the rounds were struck.
    I reloaded the cylinder into battery. Still did not fire.
    I got real pissed. I doubled actioned the trigger. I jumped when it went BANG.
    I placed reflective tape on the bottom of the receiver. That never happened again.
    I liked the Rhino so much.
    When I was at a Knob Creek shoot. I met the representatives of Chiappa. As we talked I mentioned that I could not find the 5 inch Rhino.
    2 weeks later I had my 5 inch.
    I was going to sell the 4 inch. No I just could not.
    I shot both in combat courses and target. excellent results.

Top Bottom