• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    While the 11 most important guns in history is a good read, the most important firearm inventors in history is more interesting. Here are some I think that change history: Browning, Mauser, Stoner, Kalashnikov, Ferguson {first successful breech loading military rifle} Colt {percussion revolver}, Smith and Wesson {bored thru revolver cylinder} Maxim, Garand, Williams {.30 carbine} Borchardt {semi auto pistol}. I know there are more......:@ya:...<><Duce

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know there are more

Indeed there are. (BTW, you forgot Indiana's own Dr. Richard J. Gatling, for shame!!!!)

I submit a dozen (I have others) that you missed in no particular order:

1. John Pederson--John M. Browning called Pederson the greatest gun designer in the world, very high praise.

2. Alexi I. Sudayev--the designer of the PPS SMG and the 7.62X39mm cartridge (which Sudavey used in the AS-44, his assault rifle).

3. Misha T. Kalashinkov--Ak-47, QED.

4. Fedor Tokarev--his pistols and rifles, and a camera (no, really).

5. Sergei G. Simonv--CKC

6. Sergei Mosin--the Mosin rifle, where would INGO be without Mr. Mosin "Eye seen a Mozen for sale and eye shot it and everyone was looking at me."

7. Georgi Shpagin--PPSh41/DShK HMG

8. Vasily Degtyarev--DP-28 LMG, DShK HMG

9. Hugo Schmeisser--Mkb42 (later the MP-44/StG44/Gerat 06) and the AK-47

10. Heinrich Vollmer--MP-38/MP-40

11. Ernest Vervier--MAG the greatest MMG/UMG of all time

12. Stefan K. Janson--EM-2, aka the "Janson Rifle", underrated and always overlooked so I put him on the list.:D

Last edited:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    How about the anonymous Chinese dude who over a thousand years ago first stuffed rocks into a tube filled with gunpowder and shot them at someone else.

I think he made a fairly large contribution to firearms development. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Richard Hi Point and Thomas Xd come to mind.And of course the best of all who invented revolutionary designs ... Mr.Will Hayden!

Sons-Of-Guns-Meme.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ya I forgot about Will.

HE IS A GAME CHANGER

Sure is!
    We wouldn't have sniper AK47 rifles without him.
    He's a genious for having the idea of putting a longer barrel and a bipod on a classic AK. :yesway:

He even invented the M16 using a simple AR15 converted to shoot in full auto.Also a silencer for shotguns if i recall correctly.And many others ...

:bowdown:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sure is!
    He's a genious for having the idea of putting a longer barrel and a bipod on a classic AK. :yesway:

He even invented the M16 using a simple AR15 converted to shoot in full auto.Also a silencer for shotguns if i recall correctly.And many others ...

and dont forget the piston driven ar:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think many inventors are unknown, like the guy who invented rifling on barrels.
    All guns (well almost) from main battle tanks to small auto-pistols use this design since he invented it.But I cant find his name.

Same for all the people who helped design the cartdrige as we know it today.It's not one person but many people using the design of the previous guy and making it a bit better.

Without the musquet and the invention of the rifling you dont have the new rifles that we have today.
    Without the invention of the flint gun you dont have the musquet ... etc.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Sure is!

Don't be alarmed, but I heard he once tied 3 shotguns together and made a minigun.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The discovery of fulminates by Edward charles howard.

The use of fulminate of mercury to create the first percussion cap by Rev. Alexander John Forsyth.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Since we've drifted a little south of center....:):.....Let's not forget Henery Minnie, pronounced, Min eehhh, the inventor of the minie ball. It made the Civil War one of the deadliest in history............:@ya:..........<><Duce

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The man who invented the "Bessemer Steel" process...(I think his name was "Bessemer"). Without the ability to strengthen steel, smokeless powder would have done no good as no firearm would have been strong enough to handle it.

IMHO ofcourse lest my comments be construed as "testy" or religous in nature.

Top Bottom