• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    I couldn't think of a better way to word the title, sorry. I'm getting to the point where I want to start storing stuff in gamma containers. What should I start with? There are several different types of grain. I would assume I have to grind that down? I was thinking of starting with flour, sugar, and rice. Is that wrong? Does anyone have any advice on where to start?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What do you eat now? Start with that. We have rice and beans because that's what we eat. I also have wheat flour, sugar, and pasta (mostly spaghetti and elbow maccaroni).

Flour, sugar, and rice is a good start, but lacks a protein component. It's all sugar/starch.

I assume you aren't storing the goods directly in the buckets but in mylar bags in the buckets. If other, consider the bags-in-a-bucket option. Our view of buckets is to make the bags easier to store and transport. To that end, we also have some stuff stored in the square-ish kitty litter buckets.

Your other focus should be on the type of prep you think you'll need the most. Are you prepping for a short-term emergency situation such as after a natural disaster such as a tornado or power outtage? A mid-term emergency situation that comes with cessation of utilities for several weeks? Or are you prepping for Armageddon?

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I couldn't think of a better way to word the title, sorry. I'm getting to the point where I want to start storing stuff in gamma containers. What should I start with? There are several different types of grain. I would assume I have to grind that down? I was thinking of starting with flour, sugar, and rice. Is that wrong? Does anyone have any advice on where to start?

We store rolled oats too. Can use it as is or it grinds down to a nice flour with less effort than wheat or rice.
    We don't use much flour so it's not on our list of bulk items to buy.

Rice, pasta, freeze dried fruits and veggies and oatmeal pretty much make up the foundation of our diet.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, totally not a prepper here, but 88's pasta talk made me think of a recent change I made. We do buy in bulk for short-term, and we were buying spaghetti and elbow macaroni. Just a few weeks ago I decided that rotini (we call it "skroodles" :) )works for nearly any pasta purpose. It's good in mac and cheese, and it's good with spaghetti sauce. So now that's the only pasta I buy. The downside is that it's not as compact as spaghetti, so there's that.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Flour, rice, and sugar is an excellent start. Pressure-canning your own meat, vegetables, and produce is also easily and fairly cheaply done. With flour and a few other basic ingredients, you can make your own pasta and baked goods too.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Another +1 on Flour, rice, and rolled oats. Once you get a couple buckets of each, then start looking into grains and a grain mill. Keep in mind, a 25lb bag of rolled oats will fill 3 5 gallon buckets and have some left over! Start researching grain mills, and pick one up. Then get small amounts of different grains and start learning how to use them. There is a pretty good learning curve there! Are you in to pressure canning yet? That is another direction to get filled out.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    What do you eat now? Start with that. We have rice and beans because that's what we eat. I also have wheat flour, sugar, and pasta (mostly spaghetti and elbow maccaroni).

Flour, sugar, and rice is a good start, but lacks a protein component. It's all sugar/starch.

I assume you aren't storing the goods directly in the buckets but in mylar bags in the buckets. If other, consider the bags-in-a-bucket option. Our view of buckets is to make the bags easier to store and transport. To that end, we also have some stuff stored in the square-ish kitty litter buckets.

Your other focus should be on the type of prep you think you'll need the most. Are you prepping for a short-term emergency situation such as after a natural disaster such as a tornado or power outtage? A mid-term emergency situation that comes with cessation of utilities for several weeks? Or are you prepping for Armageddon?

You could spend days reading articles on the topic of storing food and won't find any advice better than this.

Store things you like to eat
    Cover all the food groups
    Store your bulk items in small batches
    Let the length of time you're prepping for determine your quantity

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You could spend days reading articles on the topic of storing food and won't find any advice better than this.

Store things you like to eat
    Cover all the food groups
    Store your bulk items in small batches
    Let the length of time you're prepping for determine your quantity
    I didn't mention it out of brevity and sticking to OP's original point of asking where to start, but this is a critical component as well. If you want to be DIYer, the dehydration and canning. But if the time or the endeavor seem to great to overcome, the store-bought shelf options are just as good. Just remember to rotate stock and eat your stores so you aren't eating 15 year old peaches. (Which may be okay, but the idea makes me want to gag.)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's been awhile, but I think if you do some searching you will find a lot of well-thought out lists and guides for food storage. I think the list I have comes from an LDS site. It suggests a certain number of pounds of this or that to feed a person for a year.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You need to add some beans. Just rice or wheat is incomplete protein, but add beans and you get balance. Storing wheat whole-grain and having a grinder will last longer - once the grain is ground it loses shelf life. Store some honey - it lasts forever and will provide some antibiotic benefit in addition to sweetness. +1 for rolled oats. Dry milk is not a bad addition also.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    One unusual thing I like to store is whole, malted wheat. It's not very expensive (buck a pound or so in bulk), and is very useful for porridges and baking. It's easier to grind than whole wheat because it's more brittle, and it can self-sweeten if you let it mash a little before cooking.

ETA: You can find it at homebrewing shops and websites.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    one thing to consider is adding some beef/chicken/ham base to your stores. it's shelf stable, goes a long way, adds to sodium needs, and (if you buy the good stuff with meat as the first ingredient) even adds a little bit of protein. in any long-term situation plain beans and rice is going to get old. this is an easy way to add some depth of flavor if meat isn't easy to come by.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    one thing to consider is adding some beef/chicken/ham base to your stores. it's shelf stable, goes a long way, adds to sodium needs, and (if you buy the good stuff with meat as the first ingredient) even adds a little bit of protein. in any long-term situation plain beans and rice is going to get old. this is an easy way to add some depth of flavor if meat isn't easy to come by.
    Absolutely! I always have some in my kitchen and definitely some in storage. GFS Marketplace has those at good prices.

Top Bottom