• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't shoot any Remington ammo, leave that for the kids and gkids. Best bang for the buck I've found is Eley Force. At $5-$5.50 a box you can't beat it. It's not precision ammo but not far off. For reliability and consistency, it's my go to plinking and hunting ammo.
    I absolutely long that stuff.
    It got the best 10 shot group with my 10/22 at 50yds just over 0.6"

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I got the aguila super extra since it has had such glowing reviews on here. Atleast one stove pipe per mag on my 10/22 unfortunately I bought quite a bit lol oh well

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I'm looking for suggestions for the most reliable .22 ammo. I know the caliber will never work as well as I might like but what gets me the closest? I've had some luck with CCI mini mags but wonder if there is something better. Thoughts?

CCI Standard velocity or Aguila Standard velocity.

Both are my go-to's

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm looking for suggestions for the most reliable .22 ammo. I know the caliber will never work as well as I might like but what gets me the closest? I've had some luck with CCI mini mags but wonder if there is something better. Thoughts?
    CCI Standard FTW :) !

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    As mentioned, CCI in it's various flavors. When you need a little more punch to get an obstinate semi-auto to function, or for dispatching critters, I like the CCI Velocitor. 40 grain at 1400 fps is pretty effective on small game. Might be a little too much for older or more delicate actions.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I agree with most of the above: CCI is my go-to .22 ammunition. That being said, I also have an AR-7. At the time (years ago), a review article said that Aguilar worked the best in the AR-7. So, I have only used Aguilar in my AR-7, and haven't had any problems.

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Maybe I missed something, but Lapua Polar Biathalon, followed by any random lot of Center-X, Midas+, or X-Act. That'll probably be your most accurate/reliable... SK rifle match is a close, cheaper alternative as well... No luck with anything Eley yet...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Stingers are about as good as it gets, can be a bit hot for some guns. As for bulk stuff I have had good performance from federal Auto/match lately.

iu

Been hard to beat for many years. Also they hit pretty hard too.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Maybe too much off topic but figured this is as good of place as any with all the .22 knowledge. Having a failure to feed with aguila super extra almost exclusively the second round of 10 out of a mark 4 yes I have switched mags no I haven’t switched ammo. Or a gun issue? I find it hard to believe I got two bad ruger mags.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Maybe too much off topic but figured this is as good of place as any with all the .22 knowledge. Having a failure to feed with aguila super extra almost exclusively the second round of 10 out of a mark 4 yes I have switched mags no I haven’t switched ammo. Or a gun issue? I find it hard to believe I got two bad ruger mags.
    Yea, check the inside edges of those mag feed lips - the edge that the rim of the rounds will slide against on the mag when being stripped off & chambered. Had a Mk IV mag that was causing early round feed issues and those inside edges seemed way too sharp. Debured & polished those, haven't had the problem repeat. Also have a different Mk IV mag where the follower doesn't move down as freely as the others, sticks in places, very apparent, but hasn't caused any feed issues at this point. Run a fair amount of that same Aguila and it's been very reliable. Jury is still out on the unique smell tho, lol

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yea, check the inside edges of those mag feed lips - the edge that the rim of the rounds will slide against on the mag when being stripped off & chambered. Had a Mk IV mag that was causing early round feed issues and those inside edges seemed way too sharp. Debured & polished those, haven't had the problem repeat. Also have a different Mk IV mag where the follower doesn't move down as freely as the others, sticks in places, very apparent, but hasn't caused any feed issues at this point. Run a fair amount of that same Aguila and it's been very reliable. Jury is still out on the unique smell tho, lol

Is the smell part of the super extra ? Lol

Top Bottom