• ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Good morning folks,

Lets play a game of pretend...

Pretend that you can only have a single firearm from now on and hunting will be your only use for it. You will be hunting in Indiana. There is no way to know what kind of game you will encounter.

What gun would offer the most options for securing dinner? 20 gauge? .22 LR? .308? .50 cal?

My initial thought is a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. It might be too big for the plentiful squirrel, but you'd be able to shoot anything else from rabbits to ducks to deer.

What say you, hunters?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Honestly, I'd go with an AR.

22LR upper could be used for small game, 223/5.56 upper for coyote, 450 Busmaster upper for deer until DNR comes to their senses and allows modern centerfire cartridges for whitetail then you've got 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BLK, and a whole bunch others at your disposal.

Not gonna do much duck hunting with an AR...but I'm not a wing shooter anyway.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    T/C Contender or Encore. Buy a receiver that originates from the factory as a pistol and you can have anything from pistol, rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader. Barrels are fairly inexpensive compared to a complete firearm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Drilling. 12 Gauge over 30-30. Maybe even with the .22LR inserts. Should cover about any game.

No idea if that would be current Indiana legal, but this is just pretend.

awalters0815

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    a Pump 20 Gauge will take whatever you want. Waterfowl, quail, bunnies, deer, yotes, turkey. Having a rifle barrel for deer would help. Heck, you could get by with a .410 if needs be.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well your talking hunting for dinner, I would say a 22 just because the most plentiful animal and easiest to hunt an eat is squirrels so that would be my choice on a daily basis for dinner...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mossberg 500A with an addition of a slug barrel. You can take pretty much anything with that combo. from a squirrel to a deer, to even possibly a hog.

(you only said "one gun"... you didnt specify how many barrels we could have)

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Remington 870 or 1187, in 12 or 20, is the easy answer.

The question gets much harder if you say, "one caliber, no shotgun." It would have to be something deer legal that could still, in a pinch, be used to take bunnies and squirrels without completely destroying them. Maybe a .300 blkt?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If I am down to one gun we have already entered the SHTF mode so to me the legal or not doesn't play a part in this make believe game we are playing.

On a side note: I'm sure my Great Grandfathers Double Barrel shotgun sitting in my safe was his only means of putting meat on the table and nobody was there to tell him he couldn't do it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If I am down to one gun we have already entered the SHTF mode so to me the legal or not doesn't play a part in this make believe game we are playing.

On a side note: I'm sure my Great Grandfathers Double Barrel shotgun sitting in my safe was his only means of putting meat on the table and nobody was there to tell him he couldn't do it.

Yeah. But he's no longer with us.
    So how did that work out for him?

:rolleyes:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    12 gauge pump gun
    Not the perfect hunting gun for each specific category of game, but the one gun that will get all that lives in this state and in a pinch the other 49.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I hate shotguns.

But without any other caveats or restrictions on the question (such as on what CONTINENT you are, or what is available to hunt), I have to agree that a reliable 12 gauge pump shotgun with a ribbed IC barrel is about as good as you are going to do at crossing the variety of animals that can be et, and still protect yourself from the ones that will et you.

The first accessory I would buy for it, other than a good variety of heavy ammo, would be a .22 LR insert barrel. The next would be a better sighting system for said rifle insert than the bead on the barrel.

-Nate

Top Bottom