• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    And anyone else that has a "toy" that is seasonal. If you have wanted to get a Battery Tender but just couldn't justify $50 + then look at Amazon.com and get one for $42.99 with free shipping if you opt for Super Saver shipping (took two whole days).

I hate leaving a regular trickle charger on the bike with the worries of cooking the battery. I finally started searching and found the Amazon deal and this is a neat little charger. You can get the Jr. for around $20 if you want one JUST for a bike.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Do yourself a favor and get a batteryminder instead. :yesway:

Unlike the tender, it has a desulfator cycle that helps restore batteries that are toward the end of their life. I've now had mine save two batteries that previously wouldn't hold much of a charge and wouldn't start my bikes.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I hate leaving a regular trickle charger on the bike with the worries of cooking the battery.

I don't understand the difference between a trickle charger and battery tender. Mine(whatever it is) charges it up and when it is charged the light turns green and I assume it stops charging as to not fry the battery. Is this not so?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had a battery tender on my bike all year for the past 7 years, no problems. Prior to that I was buying a new battery every other year.

Ditto! Bike, Boat, Golfcart and Lawnmower!!:rockwoot: Only I got mine at a divorce garage sale, HE had them marked $15 each, SHE said I could have all 5 for $15:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:. I asked her if that wasn't going to irk him just a little and she asked me if there was anything else of HIS that I wanted so I offered her $10 for a corbeau racing seat he had marked for $175. She took it, I loaded the car and bailed post haste.:laugh: She said that would teach him for leaving her with the sale that was his idea!!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you think you have a dead battery (and it's sealed!) Turn it on it's side and charge-disharge it a couple of times. Then flip it over on the other side and do it again.

As a battery charges and discharges the plating materials moves further and further down the plates until you have nothing up top and a big buildup on the bottom. Sometimes, it builds up so much that it will short out and it is dead dead at that time.

Anwyay, when you turn a battery on its side, the plates are horizontal instead of vertical, and the plating becomes much more even along the plates.

Horizontal plates are MUCH more prones to bending or breaking from bumps and pot holes though, which is why all plates are vertical.

Anyway, just something I picked up from a guy who did LOTS of testing on electric cars and lead-acid batteries.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I don't understand the difference between a trickle charger and battery tender. Mine(whatever it is) charges it up and when it is charged the light turns green and I assume it stops charging as to not fry the battery. Is this not so?

A trickle charger puts a constant charge at whatever amperage your charger is set at. The Battery Tender monitors your battery and only gives it what it needs to keep it charged.

With a standard trickle charger you can boil or cook a battery if it is left on constantly.

I can't answer what yours does and doesn't do because you don't give a brand name. If it doesn't specifically say that it monitors and maintains a charge on the battery then it is putting out a set amperage constantly, kind of like a charger for a cordless drill battery.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    for some reason (I think the ability to change temperature easily) setting them on concrete floors drain batteries. Set them on boards on the floor instead if you take it out of your bike for the winter.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have two Battery Tenders, had them for years. One for the bike and one for the lawn tractor

Top Bottom