Motorcylce riders need an opinion on this bike.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've been offer a trade for this bike. I just want to know if it's worth it.
    I'm a begginer on street bikes. I've rode dirt and sport atv's for years, but very new to street.
    What are the general opinions of this bike? I know the "S" model are unstable, but the problem was suppost to be took care of in the "R" model. Is it still unstable?

TL1000R Motorcycle - trade for camper or boat

Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I would take a very close look at the bike. The ads comment "Complete Bodyworks set" is usually a sign that the bike has been down. It's a $3500 bike in mint condition. Handling on the TLs is not bad, but they are a little porky in the weight section. The seating position is not too severe, Better than a GSXr but there more weight on your wrists than a standard.
    Good Luck

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The CL ad says nothing about year and mileage, unless I'm missing it. That particular model was built from 1998 - 2003, I think.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Yeah..... Unless hes gonna throw in some cash with it, I wouldnt do it. Its an ok bike for a beginner, but I wouldnt go 6k on it. The ad is just very vague in description as well. Im gonna say its been rebuilt.

-MColford

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Bike is fast as hell and for sure not for a beginner. I used to street ride a TLs and raced WERA with a Tlr. very high torque vtwin motor, awesome sound. a bit heavy compared to open class sportbikes today but handles like a dream. I'd also bet it has been down, and like they said, in mint condition 4k tops. my suggestion is pass

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Pretty much all of the above. Except for the "beginner bike" part. That is definitely not a beginner bike. As far as the TLS goes, Suzuki had a recall on them to install a steering damper to make up for the lack of skill the numpties who bought one on a lark had. There were only a few instances of head shake that resulted in injury and was played up hugely in the UK, resulting in the recall.

The TLR was supposed to be the Suzuki equivalent of the Ducati 916 and Honda RC54. But with the success of the GSXR bikes on the track and money being tight the TLR saw next to no development. It was a matter of continue to develop the GSXRs or a new, relatively unknown, quantity. The rest is motorcycling history.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That's a whole lotta bike for a beginner IMO. If you are looking for something in the $6,000 range, you could definitely get a better bike. Heck, you can get a decent used bike for 3-4k easily. If I were in your situation, I'd pass.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I used to own an '01 TLR and can tell you it is nowhere near a beginner bike, and this dude is not even close to having a realistic price tag on it. you need to be looking at something in the 600cc range for your first bike.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    If that bike is a beginner bike, then so is mine. A twenty over springer is the same as stock, just like a 1000c.c. sport bike is easy to control.
    bikesforsale009.jpg

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Way over priced. The TL1000 had a great engine and handled well. Way too much torque for a new street rider.Suzuki put a "anti-whellie" circuit to retard the ignition in the lower gears to prevent wheelies. Some, like me, defeated this so full power was available in the lower gears. Awsome low end torque. The happiest time of my life was riding the TL100S through "the Dragon", both ways, before I had to sell it. Just leave her in 2nd and roll the throttle with two fingers on the front brake. I actullaly got motion sickness but what a ride. Most, now that they haven't been produced in many years, have been raced or wrecked.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I'm not big into the "beginner bike" hysteria.....get something you like and know your limits when riding it. A 600 will kill you just as fast as a 1000. As for this ad.. complete ripoff, search a little more

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I'm not big into the "beginner bike" hysteria.....get something you like and know your limits when riding it. A 600 will kill you just as fast as a 1000. As for this ad.. complete ripoff, search a little more

Agreed 100%. For a beginner get a bike that fits you. Seat hight, bike width, and so on. Who cares what size the engine is, it only goes as fast as you roll the throttle. But if you are on a bike that does not fit you comfortably, you have more of a chance to go down then simply because the engine has too much power.

Me personally, being a pretty experienced rider on sport bikes especially, would rather ride a 600 cc bike. Sure the 1000cc bikes have significantly more torque, but the higher revving, lighter weight package of the 600's IMHO is way more fun to ride. You can get into the throttle a whole lot more with out having to worry about controlling the front wheel to keep it on the ground. Sure the 600's will still pull wheelies all day long, and are still plenty powerful with most these days rated easily over 100 HP.

With some simple mods, my beloved R6 when I had it, was running with and out running alot of 1000's at the drag strip. I pulled a best of 9.90 out of it in the 1/4 mi. I cannot recall the speed though. I could simply go with more throttle off of the line because of the less torque and out run them in the first 1/8 mi.

Anyway, I kind of got off subject there, but cannot stress enough, get a bike that fits your body, and do not worry about the engine size until later. If a TL1000r fits you like a glove, then that should be your bike. If a Ninja 250r fits better, then you will enjoy riding it alot more. Good luck.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've been offer a trade for this bike. I just want to know if it's worth it.
    I'm a begginer on street bikes. I've rode dirt and sport atv's for years, but very new to street.
    What are the general opinions of this bike? I know the "S" model are unstable, but the problem was suppost to be took care of in the "R" model. Is it still unstable?

TL1000R Motorcycle - trade for camper or boat

That's the part I'd be concerned about. Having just graduated from a 750 old school bike to a 1300 modern bike I'm here to tell you that unless you are one hell of an accomplished dirt rider, you're probably asking for trouble. YMMV and age/discipline play a part. Be careful whatever route you choose.:patriot:

Top Bottom