• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I've had kayaks since 2013 and on a few face book kayak groups. My son sent me a link to a DIY group. I could paddle and fish a lake for 5 hours before I was worn out. Next thing I know I searching for scrap aluminum to build a bracket, bought a trolling motor, battery and built a controller. My first trip out was 4 hours, 2 hours at camp then 4 more hours. Felt pretty good when the day was over. Would have felt better if the fish were biting. That was a late start on my part.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I've had kayaks since 2013 and on a few face book kayak groups. My son sent me a link to a DIY group. I could paddle and fish a lake for 5 hours before I was worn out. Next thing I know I searching for scrap aluminum to build a bracket, bought a trolling motor, battery and built a controller. My first trip out was 4 hours, 2 hours at camp then 4 more hours. Felt pretty good when the day was over. Would have felt better if the fish were biting. That was a late start on my part.
    Sounds pretty cool but..

:postpics:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash

Did you have to get a registration number for the kayak once you motorized it? How does that work these days?

I have a canoe I just fitted with outriggers and will eventually get a trolling motor.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Did you have to get a registration number for the kayak once you motorized it? How does that work these days?

I have a canoe I just fitted with outriggers and will eventually get a trolling motor.
    Yes. You'll also need a white light if navigating at night. On my cabin cruisers the white light was at the highest point. I'm not sure where on a kayak or canoe the light must be mounted. Most guys I know that use trolling motors on 'yak or c'noe wear the light on their head. You should probably carry a whistle or blow horn too, though I don't think that's required unless your vessel is greater than X feet long.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. You'll also need a white light if navigating at night. On my cabin cruisers the white light was at the highest point. I'm not sure where on a kayak or canoe the light must be mounted. Most guys I know that use trolling motors on 'yak or c'noe wear the light on their head. You should probably carry a whistle or blow horn too, though I don't think that's required unless your vessel is greater than X feet long.
    Like this? LOL
    Light_Bulb_Bowler_Hat_12-2_1024x1024@2x.png

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Yes, registration is required on any vessel that is more than hand or foot powered. Some states require registration of all vessels. Most rules for kayaks and canoes are covered by boating rules of the state's game and fish. Some states have special rules for them. Only 2 rules for me in my state. Registration with numbers displayed on the hull. Less the 16 ft, PFD must be worn at all times.
    I don't know where the papers are on this one from 2013. I called the store. They keep record of all sales that require registrations, boat, trailer, motor, guns. It was bought out of state, I'm required to show that tax was collected for my state. I carried the bill of sales to the courthouse and paid taxes on the amount shown. A lot fast, cheaper that way.
    I don't plan to fish at night so no lights needed. If I want to get an early morning start walmart has a kit that works on AAA batteries.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I think the red/green only need illuminated while underway. If anchored only the 360' white lite is required. And it's suppose to be viewable for some crazy long distance (relative to Indiana lakes) like 2miles? 5miles?
    In the dark, any amount of light is visible for an incredible distance. Stand 400 yds from someone and light a match. They will pick you up immediately.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Our upcoming trip is a mix of yakkers and canoes. One motorized. If I get tired I'm just leeching on, lol.

2 of the guys attach a ready made deck to tether canoes together. Makes it possible to pack coolers and cast iron. I've not yet seen it,but I'm told it's the bees pajamas. I'll bring back pics.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think the red/green only need illuminated while underway. If anchored only the 360' white lite is required. And it's suppose to be viewable for some crazy long distance (relative to Indiana lakes) like 2miles? 5miles?
    In boot camp they told us a Zippo lighter could be seen on a dark night for 10 miles when on flat open ground.
    Water would be likewise I'm sure.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Looking at a kayak group on facebook I saw a video of a trailer for launching a kayak. You can walk on the flooring of the trailer to and from the kayak. Good price $4,500 for a single and $6,000 for a double.
    I got an old pop up camper frame for $100. New hubs and wheels. Covering the frame with expanded metal, cut outs for the kayaks, 2" pvc for the bunks.

Top Bottom