• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My AR does not have a detachable carry handle. I’d like to add an optic, but I need something compatible with the carry handle.

What are some good mounts for a carry handle?

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    A.R.M.S. makes a couple, I've used the #39 before it might be discontinued now though. Brownells also makes a couple different ones and probably easier to get.

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    We have a bunch of fixed carry handle colts and guys are using these ARMS mounts. They are rock solid and you can see through to use irons if needed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Careful.

You're gonna need a really good comb pad/riser to go with it. I tried adding an optic to my XM15-A2. I wont try that again without a fixed stock and pad. Its also was kinda uncomfortable because I felt like I was getting REALLY high above the gun with my eye.

Based on my experience, (YMMV) if I want an optic, I need a flat top. If I want irons, I want an A2. I've not had good luck going either way contrary to those configs.

I nearly qualified Rifleman in Appleseed using my A2 irons. (5 points shy). I dont shoot nearly as accurate with either of my flat top irons. (fixed or flip up)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are lots of things you can’t do with irons.
    And I think the proper solution here is switch to the appropriate platform for optics. Not adapt the wrong platform like its 1976 and there are no other options.

I respect your expertise. But since this isnt the 1970s. We dont NEED to use a carry handle mounted optic. Because there are other more appropriate ways to use glass on an AR.

I think the argument (at least in my eyes) is "use the right tool for the job.".

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And I think the proper solution here is switch to the appropriate platform for optics. Not adapt the wrong platform like its 1976 and there are no other options.

I respect your expertise. But since this isnt the 1970s. We dont NEED to use a carry handle mounted optic. Because there are other more appropriate ways to use glass on an AR.

I think the argument (at least in my eyes) is "use the right tool for the job.".

Sure there are.

But that wasn’t what he asked, now was it?!

He didn’t ask for an argument, or your opinion on his carry handle, or why he should just use the irons, or any of the other litany going on here by you, me, and other posters.

Honestly, he already got enough answers.

I only suggested that he drill, ream, install pins, and glue the sh** out of it, because the single bolt is not enough to hold much scope in place unless you reinforce TF out of it.

That also falls under my experience.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    There ARE more appropriate ways to hunt squirrels than me with a bareass 514 and some CCI 0035.

Doesn’t mean I can’t make that combination work out okay, and it sure as hell doesn’t mean somebody can sit here on the web and tell me I can’t, not knowing the 100 other motives I may have for hunting squirrels with a rifle and ammo like that.

True, even as an allegory.

Maybe it’s all he has. Maybe it’s all he wants. Maybe it’s his old man’s rifle and it’s the only way left he can spend time with him….

In my “old age” on internet comms: I am trying to be less interpretive about people’s questions and more straightforward factual.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And Mr. Cameramonkey, I want to offer that none of the above was intended as a personal attack on you.

It’s more of a general commentary that I might ought to some day expand into its own thread.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom