• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Picked up a new to me mountain bike yesterday. I had been riding an older full suspension this summer to justify buying something much newer. I normally have been riding Town Run on 96th street 2-3 times a week. On my way back from picking up the new bike I stopped at Amphitheater trail in West Lafayette. Hopping to hit Brown County before it gets tool cold out this fall.
    20221009_175720.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If you get a chance, hit Camp Gnaw Bone in Brown County. Definitely not for novices but you're not in that category it sounds. You'll thank me later.
    @gmcttr is a member here and has a wealth of knowledge on the Brown County mountain biking areas. A shoutout to him might help you in where to go also.

Congrats on the new to you ride :yesway:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    If you get a chance, hit Camp Gnaw Bone in Brown County. Definitely not for novices but you're not in that category it sounds. You'll thank me later.
    @gmcttr is a member here and has a wealth of knowledge on the Brown County mountain biking areas. A shoutout to him might help you in where to go also.

Congrats on the new to you ride :yesway:
    Is this the Gnaw Bone you were talking about? Looks like a pretty sweet trail.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    That is a pretty cool trail @Mounty09 but that's not Gnaw Bone in Brown County. I heard one rider mention its one of the best trails on "something" mountain so not sure where that is. Camp Gnaw Bone is in Gnaw Bone Indiana between Columbus and Nashville. It is similar to the video in terrain comparison.

Gnaw Bone Camp Inc
    (812) 988-4852

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I went to a trail in New Castle last week.

It was way overgrown with brush but I loved it because I like a challenge.

It cost me a front tire due to some massive thorns, but I think I can salvage it.

Westwood. It was supposed to be 10 miles, but I only rode 7. Hiked 3(because I didn't have enough to fix it out there).

Very nice time.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I went to a trail in New Castle last week.

It was way overgrown with brush but I loved it because I like a challenge.

It cost me a front tire due to some massive thorns, but I think I can salvage it.

Westwood. It was supposed to be 10 miles, but I only rode 7. Hiked 3(because I didn't have enough to fix it out there).

Very nice time.
    I just looked up reviews on MTB Project and all of them say would be a nice trail if it wasn't so over grown. It is only about 35 minutes from my house. I might have to check it out once the weeds die off.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    That is a pretty cool trail @Mounty09 but that's not Gnaw Bone in Brown County. I heard one rider mention its one of the best trails on "something" mountain so not sure where that is. Camp Gnaw Bone is in Gnaw Bone Indiana between Columbus and Nashville. It is similar to the video in terrain comparison.

Gnaw Bone Camp Inc
    (812) 988-4852
    I now see Gnaw Bone camp. That video is in BCSP. It is a new trail that was just opened this fall.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Is this the Gnaw Bone you were talking about? Looks like a pretty sweet trail.

I haven't gone thru the effort to get in shape for BCSP in several years. Put my money down on a Trek EXe that isn't due until December. That's my plan to get into it again.

Thanks for the inspiration. I only got half way thru the video and am headed out to ride my private trails. will watch the rest later.

They have built several new trails at BCSP in the last few years. It will be great to get out there again.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I haven't gone thru the effort to get in shape for BCSP in several years. Put my money down on a Trek EXe that isn't due until December. That's my plan to get into it again.

Thanks for the inspiration. I only got half way thru the video and am headed out to ride my private trails. will watch the rest later.

They have built several new trails at BCSP in the last few years. It will be great to get out there again.
    Glad to see you getting back into it.

I went out for my longest ride in 10 years yesterday, 12 miles. Hoping to get down the BCSP this fall or in the spring and do a 25ish mile flow loop that I found online. I'm sure it will take me all day with breaks but I'm looking forward to it.

IndyS3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Fishers
    I live downtown Indy and love doing Southwestway, Fort Ben, and Town Run. Fort Ben is my favorite for in town. I get to go to Brown County several times each year too! My goal this year is to get some time in West Virginia…

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I haven't been to Fort Ben yet. I did buy a start park pass this year so plan to ride there. Hoping we don't get much precipitation today so I can go check it out Sunday.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

I finally received the Trek Fuel EXe at the end of January. The plan worked and I have been out to BCSP three times this month and plan to ride again tomorrow afternoon.

I've done a couple of the new trails as well as old regulars. :woot:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I finally received the Trek Fuel EXe at the end of January. The plan worked and I have been out to BCSP three times this month and plan to ride again tomorrow afternoon.

I've done a couple of the new trails as well as old regulars. :woot:
    That's awesome! How was the new Fuel?

Unfortunately I haven't been out much. I have gotten out to Fort Ben 3 times but disappointed I haven't been more. Seems like building a chicken coop and working on my drag car have taken priority on the nice days. I'm hoping to get out next week to either town run or fort ben again.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I do need to get down there but haven't had many chances to ride much this spring. I was able to get out Thursday for a 5 mile lap at Town Run. First time on the bike in almost two months. I got a few projects finished so now I should have more time to ride.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I am planning on taking a half day from work Friday and hitting Southwest Way for the first time. Plan to get there 11-11:30 and ride if anyone wants to join. I'm not the fastest rider and I'm sure some of the climbs will hurt but still should be a good time.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Anyone her from NWI? Ive been doing Creekside in Valpo at least once a week this summer. For those unfamiliar it is 13 miles of advertised trails owned by the Valpo park district with new ones being cut. They have a full service bike shop and a hipster eatery. I Doesn't seem to be much this way besides it unless you go to Palos outside Chicago. There is some scenic riding I love near Wolf Lake in the woods but not challenging.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Along with all my other hobbies I am constantly upgrading parts and accessories. I have broken 4 spokes on my rear wheel this year. When I broke one right before Memorial Day I said next time it happens I would be replacing them. Last week I broke two when I was riding in Fort Harrison, it was time. I decided on a set of Hunt trail wide V2s. They came in Tuesday and I got everything switched over.

20230801_175222.jpg

Last night I was able to get back out to Fort Harrison to test them out. The main reason for the swap was for a stronger wheel but I also got the benefit of better hub engagement, better bearings, and a lighter setup. I'm not saying the wheels made all the difference but I was able to ride all of Lawrence Creek without stopping and beat my previous best time by about 2 minutes. After about a 20 minute break I headed to Schoen. I was also able to complete the trail without stopping and beat my previous best time bout about 1.5 minutes. Needless to say, I am ready to check out Southwest Way Friday.

Top Bottom