• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I just ordered a Holosun 407K for my Shield Plus and saw that it's recommended that the screws be tightened to 15 inch/pounds. Those of you who've put red dots on your pistols - did you use a torque set or just guess? I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy or borrow a torque set.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It depends on how much mechanical feel you have. I don't think it's strictly necessary, but if you don't have a good sense for how much torque a given size screw should have, you may overtorque and break or strip them. Teeny screws are sensitive.

I finally picked up one of these for mounting optics and other torque sensitive tasks. Good thing to have around.

Amazon product ASIN B08WZBZVCD

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    It depends on how much mechanical feel you have. I don't think it's strictly necessary, but if you don't have a good sense for how much torque a given size screw should have, you may overtorque and break or strip them. Teeny screws are sensitive.

I finally picked up one of these for mounting optics and other torque sensitive tasks. Good thing to have around.

Amazon product ASIN B08WZBZVCD
    That’s the lowest price I’ve seen so far. Thanks!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Yes, use a torque device.

I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench but I prefer Fix-It sticks.

Amazon product ASIN B08ZDP1CLN
    Here are some nice install videos:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Yep, get a
    Yes, use a torque device.

I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench but I prefer Fix-It sticks.

Amazon product ASIN B08ZDP1CLN
    Here are some nice install videos:

Yep, get one of these ^^^
    The last thing you want is to over-tighten and either strip the threads or break the head off...then you will be calling AllenM. ;-)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just MO but unless you are a gorilla or really get medieval on it using the little driver that comes with the optic and get it good and snug you should be ok. Proper amount of thread locker also goes a long way to assure the screws don't come lose. Don't know where you are located but if you are around Indy and have questions or want assistance PM me.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Just MO but unless you are a gorilla or really get medieval on it using the little driver that comes with the optic and get it good and snug you should be ok. Proper amount of thread locker also goes a long way to assure the screws don't come lose. Don't know where you are located but if you are around Indy and have questions or want assistance PM me.
    Much appreciated! I'm in NWI but thanks for the offer anyway. You bring up something else I had a (stupid) question about...for screws this small, what is the "proper amount of thread locker?" I've got some blue Loctite, but I'm not sure if a small drop will do the trick or if more is needed.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've got some blue Loctite, but I'm not sure if a small drop will do the trick or if more is needed.
    On the small screws you're dealing with a small drop will be plenty.

Info on various types of Loctite:

I'd recommend Loctite 222, purple, for an optic.

Amazon product ASIN B0002KKTT0
    That should be all you need. Cleaning both the screws and the internal threads is important.

If you ever use red Loctite on small screws you can damage the screws or the internal threads trying to remove it without applying heat first. Red is considered permanent.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    On the small screws you're dealing with a small drop will be plenty.

Info on various types of Loctite:

I'd recommend Loctite 222, purple, for an optic.

Amazon product ASIN B0002KKTT0
    That should be all you need. Cleaning both the screws and the internal threads is important.

If you ever use red Loctite on small screws you can damage the screws or the internal threads trying to remove it without applying heat first. Red is considered permanent.
    Thank you!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Much appreciated! I'm in NWI but thanks for the offer anyway. You bring up something else I had a (stupid) question about...for screws this small, what is the "proper amount of thread locker?" I've got some blue Loctite, but I'm not sure if a small drop will do the trick or if more is needed.
    Make certain the optic will sit flat on the slide.. Holosun K optics have pockets at the front only and I believe the shield has posts front and rear.. If that's the case you will have to remove the rear posts and possibly shorten the front posts to get the optic to sit flat.. Where the thread sealant is concerned, just a little on the thread of the screw prior to installation.
    IF this is what it looks like I'm pretty certain it's not a "bolt on" without some mods.

Attachments

• shield optic footprint.jpg
      shield optic footprint.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 2

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Holosun 407K for my Shield Plus
    Relevant links:

You either have to mod your slide or use an adapter like the one I linked to. I'd recommend the adapter rather than modifying the gun.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I just ordered a Holosun 407K for my Shield Plus and saw that it's recommended that the screws be tightened to 15 inch/pounds. Those of you who've put red dots on your pistols - did you use a torque set or just guess? I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy or borrow a torque set.
    I just tighten till it won't turn anymore....using a semi gentle hand twist

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Relevant links:

You either have to mod your slide or use an adapter like the one I linked to. I'd recommend the adapter rather than modifying the gun.
    I bought it from Freedom Gorilla and also purchased the adapter plate. Thanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use fix it sticks and purple locktite.

I try to carefully run it up close to the torque spec, erring on the side of loose, according to feel.

I figure the last place you'd ever want a stripped screw is on a constantly hammering slide? :nailbite:

So far the purple glue has held for me. It'd be great to hear some real world INGO details of RDS pistol optics coming loose.

:)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just mounted 2 last night. A Holosun HE407K on the wife's G43X MOS and a Sig Romeo 1 Pro on my P320X. Both of them came with blue thread locker on the provided screws. The Romeo owner's manual advised that improperly torqued mounting screws or battery cap can cause malfunctions. Proceed with caution.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    15 in lbs vs 1 ft lb... discuss...

I have a FAT Wrench in lbs.

Thread locker won't work well with dirty threads, either.

In OTHER applications, if you need permanent thread locking solutions, clean threads is a necessity.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have a Holosun 407K mounted on my TX22 and used blue locktite. After a couple range trips without locktite the screws always came loose even with the thread locker provided on the screws. Don't use red if you want to get the thing off sometime.

The otptic comes with plates that mount under the front of the sight to use as adapters for various installations.
    15 in lbs vs 1 ft lb... discuss...

I have a FAT Wrench in lbs.
    Don't waste your time. You aren't going to be able to use a foot lb torque wrench for inch pounds.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I have a Holosun 407K mounted on my TX22 and used blue locktite. After a couple range trips without locktite the screws always came loose even with the thread locker provided on the screws. Don't use red if you want to get the thing off sometime.

The otptic comes with plates that mount under the front of the sight to use as adapters for various installations.

Don't waste your time. You aren't going to be able to use a foot lb torque wrench for inch pounds.
    Did you clean off the thread locker already provided on the screws before adding your own, or leave it on?

Top Bottom