• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Did you clean off the thread locker already provided on the screws before adding your own, or leave it on?
    I left it on because I thought it would be good but it kept coming loose. Maybe because I didn't clean the holes out. dunno. I went and got blue locktite, cleaned the holes out with rubbing alcohol but brake cleaner would work too. I only shot about 100 rounds out of it since and it is still tighter than a snare drum.

There is a Wheeler fat wrench here but I didn't use it. Just used the little tool that came with the dot. I got the green version
    since reading it is better for those with astigmatism and really like it a lot.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I left it on because I thought it would be good but it kept coming loose. Maybe because I didn't clean the holes out. dunno. I went and got blue locktite, cleaned the holes out with rubbing alcohol but brake cleaner would work too. I only shot about 100 rounds out of it since and it is still tighter than a snare drum.

There is a Wheeler fat wrench here but I didn't use it. Just used the little tool that came with the dot. I got the green version
    since reading it is better for those with astigmatism and really like it a lot.
    Thanks for reminding me I need to clean the mounting holes.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The otptic comes with plates that mount under the front of the sight to use as adapters for various installations.
    I have 2 407k's and don't believe I saw any plates with the optics?

So far the one on my tx-22 compact seems to have stayed tight.

The screws on my 365 XL seem to loosen up just a tiny bit and I've tightned them up a bit after range trips. I had just tightened them by hand with included loctite already on the screws. I may have to take these out and clean them up and put some new blue loctite on them, and mark the screw to frame so I can see if they are loosening up.

Once I look to place an optic on a carry gun, I'll probably buy one of the torque measuring tools.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    One thing I feel is overlooked are the plates. Yeah you can bolt it down at the proper torque, but some plates are not made well and it can cause the topic to start wiggling off. I learned the hard way to always check the optics plates that come with optics ready pistols. :toilet2:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I may have to take these out and clean them up and put some new blue loctite on them
    Try purple (222) first, it is made for small screws that need to be removed.

I've used it on scopes and red dots with no problems with the screws coming loose. I linked some videos up thread that are great tutorials for installing a red dot.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I use a manual Wheeler FAT wrench for just about everything. There are torque specs for a reason! The type of metal the screw/threads are made of, thread pitch, etc., all come into play.

Blue loctite has held everything fine for me.

I have used the FAT wrench more than I thought I would over the years!

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    Yes, use a torque device.

I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench but I prefer Fix-It sticks.

Amazon product ASIN B08ZDP1CLN
    Here are some nice install videos:

Great recommendation with the fix it sticks. A must have.

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    Using a torque set is the ideal method for achieving precise and consistent tightening, particularly when mounting delicate equipment. It will reduce the risk of over-tightening or potential damage. Also, having witness marks on the screws will help you quickly detect any changes, maintaining the stability of your setup. It’s a hassle if you don’t have the right tools, but worth it in the end.

Top Bottom