• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    In remodeling our basement, I will be looking to mount a new TV up on a wall. I need some guidance on the best ways to handle cables and cords. Since we will be pulling down current panelling and putting up new dry wall, everything will be open.

Any tips or suggestions? I have seen a lot of kits for running cables in finished walls. With everything being opened up, do I have the opportunity to do anything better?

Is it easiest to plan for putting a console/table below the TV to hold components?

I'm not very tech savvy on this topic so please guide me. Reps to pictures posted of your current setup.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You can usually run your cables into a "Low voltage" double gang box that has a larger opening that you can fish through CAT5, RG6, and other items through to hook up to your TV, BlueRay, etc. You want to mount that on the other side of the electrical box so that it limits the interfernce you will get from the electrical wire. Having the walls opened up allows you to nail those boxes to the studs so that when you finish the wall, you can have a nicer finish.

You can also run speaker wires to where you want for surround sound. For best results you can just poke the wires through where you want to mount the speakers, but can also do terminal plates. I'm not a big stereo geek, but have heard that for some systems, the terminal plates add resistance to the circuit that could affect sound quality.

As far as a place for components, depending on the depth of your wall, you can do a "built in" shelf to mount your components so that you don't have a cabinet sticking out. Otherwise a normal TV stand is a nice way to hold your components, and you can either run wires up the wall and put a piece of trim over them, or run them through the wall using the double gang box mentioned.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The easiest plan is to run a single HDMI from a receiver on a console under the TV in to the wall, and up to the TV. If you're doing a surround sound system, the TV really only needs one HDMI cable going to it to receive the picture from the receiver. For power, you can have an outlet mounted right behind where the TV will be (maybe offset to allow for the mount... figure that part out).

If I had my way, all the components would be hidden elsewhere and I'd use an RF IR repeater to get the remote signals to them.

The first pic on this page shows the surface mounted gangway for cables going to the TV: Before you get started - A Guide to Wall-mounting Your Flat-panel TV You can paint it to match and it's pretty unobtrusive (I have a similar gangway in my bedroom). Keep in mind that you're not supposed to run a normal extension cable thru the walls...

As far as a place for components, depending on the depth of your wall, you can do a "built in" shelf to mount your components so that you don't have a cabinet sticking out.

Different kinds of TV wall mount Like the picture there... that looks pretty nice for having the components in plain view.

You can't go wrong with wall mounts, cables, and other accessories from https://www.monoprice.com/ - lots of stuff in my home from them!

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I just mounted my television and relocated the electrical outlet to behind the TV to plug the TV in. On this tv below it was really easy because I just ran the wires to the other side of this wall that is a huge storage closet. I built a small recessed shelf to hold the satellite receiver so that it would read the remote. I built an open shelf in the closet to hold all of my components. I then just painted and installed trim around the hole I cut in the wall to clean up the "shelf" I built and I think it looks pretty good. This is the situation in which I didn't need something to hold the components because I put them all in the closet. This was in my "Mancave"
    5_zpsee1c4770.jpg

In the living room I tossed around the idea of building a shelf into the wall for my components but the more I thought about it I did not want to mess with it. I also figured the wall would look naked without SOMETHING there. Plus I think it looks good for picture frames, candles, etc. that the wife puts up there. Here I once again relocated the outlet plug to behind the TV because the man says its against code to run those type of cables through the wall. I then took a 1" keyhole saw and my drill and made a hole behind the TV, and a hole behind the entertainment center and fished the wires through. This picture was not taken to show the TV (please keep that in mind) but it gives you an idea. I am at work and this is the only photo I have access to that shows the TV in the living room.
    I just ran the speaker wire for the surround speakers behind the tv and through the same hole as the HDMI cables. For the rear speakers I have the wireless transmitter that I hid in a closet and ran them into the ceiling from the closet and dropped them right to the location that the rear speakers were mounted.
    Dottie_zps6dd164a0.jpg

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the info so far.

I am thinking that we will go with some type of console/table below the tv to hold components. It would look best with nothing below, but I am not sure how to pull this off. I am not confident in putting any components in another area (room, closet, etc). Plus, we do not have any plans for a closet in the area. There will be a closed off laundry area behind the family room area, but I do not think it would work well for hiding components.

I will have the ability to just run a power outlet directly to the area on the wall where the mount will go since we will be putting up new drywall. I know that I will then still need a way to run cables from below to the mount area. Any specific recommendations?

In regards to the reference above of the low voltage gang box - would I just have a bid by the mount and a second box below near the component area? Any conduit or anything connecting the boxes to contain the cables within the wall?

Also - any suggestions on how high to mount the tv on the wall? We will have roughly 8 foot ceilings and likely go with a 60" TV.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    snip

Also - any suggestions on how high to mount the tv on the wall? We will have roughly 8 foot ceilings and likely go with a 60" TV.

A good rule of thumb for mounting height is to first figure out the height of you eyes when sitting in your normal viewing spot. Then, place the TV so that 1/3 of the height is below that number and 2/3's is above it. It will seem very low at first but that makes it so you don't have to crane your neck up to look at the picture when viewing for extended periods.

Here's my media room after installing a custom built equipment cabinet and sound panels, which make a huge difference in he audio quality. It's a 58" display and is mounted so the 1/3 height is at 46".

MediaRoom.jpg

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    If the entire wall cavity will be exposed, you could run 1 or 2 decently sized pieces of PVC inside the wall. Using the long/sweep elbows, you should be able to fish just about any type of connector through. The sharp 90's might be tough, but you could experiment with 45's to see if they would fit.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    In remodeling our basement, I will be looking to mount a new TV up on a wall. I need some guidance on the best ways to handle cables and cords. Since we will be pulling down current panelling and putting up new dry wall, everything will be open.

Any tips or suggestions? I have seen a lot of kits for running cables in finished walls. With everything being opened up, do I have the opportunity to do anything better?

Is it easiest to plan for putting a console/table below the TV to hold components?

I'm not very tech savvy on this topic so please guide me. Reps to pictures posted of your current setup.

If you're hard wiring everything make sure you are going to be 100% happy with the location you've chosen. IF you're not sure of that then I'd run your wiring into the basement ceiling and use the wire hiding shadow trim until you know where you're going to be permanently placing everything. UNTIL YOU ARE SURE I'd make everything temporary until you've made up your mind.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Put a large conduit in the wall with boxes at each end. You can run whatever you need later easily. Definitely put power up behind TV, and maybe a recessed one so the cord isn't forced to stick out pushing the TV further from the wall

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    Here's one I did in a bedroom with a wall mounted shelf for he cable box and a ps3. All wires were run in the wall and out the bottom thru a hollow wall plate to the outlet right next to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      608.1 KB · Views: 11

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My brother wanted something to put his surround system and dvd player on, we ended up building a boxy shelf like thing that mounts right to the wall under the tv. There are two wires to the tv, and two going down to an outlet. I'll see if he can text me a picture.

Years ago my brother had an apartment, and had his tv right across from the couch, and the dvd/surround next to the couch with extended cables. he never had to get up to change dvds. And if you have something like a PS3 where the remote runs bluetooth, or Chromecast that runs through your wifi, pointing the remote at your system isn't a problem.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the responses and insight. This is unchartered territory for me...

So - my next question just struck: what do I need to do for getting DishNetwork hooked up?

There has not previously been any TVs hooked up down there (that I'm aware of). I'm curious to see what cables are ran when I start taking down the drop ceiling.

Do we need another box from Dish? We currently have one Hopper and one Joey on our 2 TVs. Will Dish have to come out? I'm confused in what cables I may need to run while everything is exposed and drywall not up.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all of the responses and insight. This is unchartered territory for me...

So - my next question just struck: what do I need to do for getting DishNetwork hooked up?

There has not previously been any TVs hooked up down there (that I'm aware of). I'm curious to see what cables are ran when I start taking down the drop ceiling.

Do we need another box from Dish? We currently have one Hopper and one Joey on our 2 TVs. Will Dish have to come out? I'm confused in what cables I may need to run while everything is exposed and drywall not up.

If DISH is like DTV, you will have to buy another receiver, but they won't need to come out. They will probably just mail it to you. If you want to be able to access the "Hahppah" you will want a CAT5 (hard wired ethernet cable) to connect with your other receivers. You will also need to run the RG6 "Coax" to the new receiver. There should be a junction or "splitter" somewhere in the house already, so you will connect into that. Most of those are 4 port splitters, so you may need to upgrade to a splitter with more ports.

The nice thing is since the TV is digital, you don't lose signal strength when you split it like you used to with analouge cable.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I didn't notice in other posts. After boxes and conduit you should run a couple of pull strings through along with our cables. You can tie them off at each end. This way you will be able to pull more cable through later if you should decide to or need to make a change. Don't forget to drag another pull string through with your new cable... :D

Good Luck with all. Looks like it will be nice when complete.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    If DISH is like DTV, you will have to buy another receiver, but they won't need to come out. They will probably just mail it to you. If you want to be able to access the "Hahppah" you will want a CAT5 (hard wired ethernet cable) to connect with your other receivers. You will also need to run the RG6 "Coax" to the new receiver. There should be a junction or "splitter" somewhere in the house already, so you will connect into that. Most of those are 4 port splitters, so you may need to upgrade to a splitter with more ports.

The nice thing is since the TV is digital, you don't lose signal strength when you split it like you used to with analouge cable.

Thanks for the confirmation. I believe there is a splitter ran off of a cable in the basement ceiling area (drop ceiling now) that comes in from the outside.

Now I am thinking - if the splitter is located in the basement ceiling now, after I drywall the ceiling, am I stuck with whatever is run throughout the house?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I didn't notice in other posts. After boxes and conduit you should run a couple of pull strings through along with our cables. You can tie them off at each end. This way you will be able to pull more cable through later if you should decide to or need to make a change. Don't forget to drag another pull string through with your new cable... :D

Good Luck with all. Looks like it will be nice when complete.

Not sure if I know exactly what you are talking about with run pull strings with the cables?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Not sure if I know exactly what you are talking about with run pull strings with the cables?

As you are managing to run your first cable through the conduit, tie a string to it. You have one end of string at the near end and one at the far. If you need to run a new cable, you tie the near end string to it, another string to the end of the cable, then go to the far end and pull the string. You end up quickly pulling the new cable and have another piece of string in there for next time.

If you don't, you will end up needing another cable run next week and you'll have a much harder task to accomplish.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    As you are managing to run your first cable through the conduit, tie a string to it. You have one end of string at the near end and one at the far. If you need to run a new cable, you tie the near end string to it, another string to the end of the cable, then go to the far end and pull the string. You end up quickly pulling the new cable and have another piece of string in there for next time.

If you don't, you will end up needing another cable run next week and you'll have a much harder task to accomplish.

Got it. Thank you!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Be careful on what mounting system you use. My sister got one via the internet that was a bit a hassle. During a move, my sister couldn't find the 'special tool' need to unscrew screws that 'lock' the tv in place. The head were a tamper proof metric allen head. Those were fun to get out without the tool.
    Before mounting the tv on her new bedroom wall, I took those screws to a real hardware store-no nut in the store fit those screws. The company had cut there own size threads onto the screw! Needless to say, the 'lock' was never put back on.

Top Bottom