• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So i have inlaws that have a condo in vegas. The father brought a firearm there when he was still alive. Now the inlaw is going to sell the place and is trying to get the firearm back to IL. Can she mail it to her self or maybe UPS or FEDX? Can she put it in her luaggage that is not carry on and if so does she have to report that it is there? Does it have to be in a case or something? I doubt she has one. What ever you know would be helpful thanks.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    She can check it with her luggage but she must declare it at the airline counter or she is breaking the law. It also needs to be in a locked case.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    that is my issue with the declairing i dont trust those TSA idiots they seem worse then any terrorist. can she fedx or ups?

Checking firearms is not like checking regular baggage. After the TSA inspection (in your presence) the guncase is locked and would not be unlcoked for an additional or later inspection. You gun case locks do not have to be the funny ones that the TSA can open. In each case I have travelled with guns the TSA guy allowed me to personally lock the case and then apply sealing tape that would show evidence of tampering.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    ^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^ I have flown with handguns several times. It's not a problem

You also can FedEx it to yourself, but FedEx requires you to do Priority Overnight which is pricey, ($70-$80)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Checking firearms is not like checking regular baggage. After the TSA inspection (in your presence) the guncase is locked and would not be unlcoked for an additional or later inspection. You gun case locks do not have to be the funny ones that the TSA can open. In each case I have travelled with guns the TSA guy allowed me to personally lock the case and then apply sealing tape that would show evidence of tampering.
    The lock MUST be one that can NOT be opened by the TSA!

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Isn't it illegal to send handguns across state lines, but not rifles without an FFL involved?
    Didn't mention if it was a rifle or not.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    You gun case locks do not have to be the funny ones that the TSA can open.

Actually, the guidelines prohibit the use of TSA accessible padlocks on the storage of firearms during transit.

The only person allowed the hold the key to a checked firearm is the owner of the firearm.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Isn't it illegal to SEND handguns across state lines, but not rifles without an FFL involved?
    Didn't mention if it was a rifle or not.
    I think you mean SELL not SEND.
    What you at thinking of is an interstate commerce law, if I'm not mistaken.

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    The last time that I traveled on an airline with rifles, they had to be in a lockable case. You had to declare them at the counter and show them to the agent. The case was then locked. The lock HAD to be a TSA lock. My case was reopened after it left my possession, and the rifles were literally thrown into the case on top of each other. They were an AR15 service rifle and an AR15 match rifle. No damage to the finish of a fine walnut stock, but I was less than happy. That was a while ago. Your mileage may vary. DennyMac

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The last time that I traveled on an airline with rifles, they had to be in a lockable case. You had to declare them at the counter and show them to the agent. The case was then locked. The lock HAD to be a TSA lock. My case was reopened after it left my possession, and the rifles were literally thrown into the case on top of each other. They were an AR15 service rifle and an AR15 match rifle. No damage to the finish of a fine walnut stock, but I was less than happy. That was a while ago. Your mileage may vary. DennyMac

Are you positive? I just checked the TSA website and they dont specify what kind of lock must be used, but they do specify that if there are any problems you will be contacted to bring your key to them. A TSA approved lock is able to be opened by them, so your key would not be necessary. If they just needed you to be present to witness, I doubt they would reference your key in the rules.

Have you SEEN how they throw bags around? Unless they were rotated 180 end over end when they were put back, or were in cutout pockets that firmly hold the gun(s) I could see them tossing the case hard enough to allow the rifles to migrate to the bottom of the case together on a standard eggshell case that holds the guns in place due to pressure.

Top Bottom