• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I may wind up relocating due to my lack of employment situation but will not be selling my home in Indiana as I do plan on returning. Also, my wife will stay here while I work out of state.

Apparently I will need to register my vehicle due to the strict residency requirements as well as obtain a non IN drivers license as I'll possibly be going to Kalifornia. If the offer does come through I really don't have an option to not accept it as I've be out of work for quite a while.

I'll check with the BMV next week but does anyone know if it will be possible to at least get an IN ID in order to keep my LTCH valid while I'm working out of state even though I am still a resident of IN?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you still have a home in Indiana and your wife will still be living here then are are still an Indiana resident. It doesn't matter where you work, where you own and maintain a home and where your family live is your home of record.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Apparently I will need to register my vehicle due to the strict residency requirements as well as obtain a non IN drivers license as I'll possibly be going to Kalifornia. If the offer does come through I really don't have an option to not accept it as I've be out of work for quite a while.

Will you have to establish residency for employmnet? Have you considered looking into Norht Dakota? Beng serious here it is a lot closer the drive can be done in one day if emergency arises, and their unemployment rate is hoverng around 3 percent. i know the winters can be a pain but it is mostly dry and sunny there.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    If you still have a home in Indiana and your wife will still be living here then are are still an Indiana resident. It doesn't matter where you work, where you own and maintain a home and where your family live is your home of record.
    If I am "gainfully employed" in CA the requirements are that I register the vehicle w/i 20 days and change the DL in 10 days. I can probably skirt that for a while but not in the long term. One possibility might be to work on a contract basis through an S corp setup established here but I don't want to jinx any potential offer as I'm drawing down the retirement money right now. Plus, I don't know if that would solve the problem or not.

I'd rather go almost anywhere other than back to CA (I'm originally from there when it was still more or less decent) but I've been looking for about 2 years so I can't really afford to turn down an offer.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    best to call state police.
    say you stay at a hotel or a temporary rental property for months at at time working in CA, your residency is still back "HOME" in IN. technically you are not "MOVING" to CA. you still vote and file your taxes as an Indiana resident.

my cousin was employed overseas for years, but he's still voted and filed taxes as IN resident. some company may request you to have a valid CA driver's license per their insurance policies, but most the time is when employees operating company vehicles.

keep your guns and LTCH home with your wife, work where ever you want.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Since my sister still lives in the area I guess I could buy a cheap vehicle and register it in her name and pay the insurance. Then if I ever get stopped it's not "my" vehicle and I can always say I'm just visiting. :whistle:

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    You might want to check with a lawyer in the republic of California. I live in Indiana and work in San Francisco. The only California tax I pay is SUI/SDI. I get by with paying Indiana income tax because I am a pilot and fly more than 50% of the time outside of California's border. I would think you would pay California non-resident income tax. I keep a car in California with IN plates although it is parked on private property most of the time.

Again, I am a pilot and not an attorney, but I would get some legal advice. You really do not want to give up your Indiana residency.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I worked in LA for an extended period of time but as a contractor to avoid being taxed in California. Technically I was a business consultant based in Indiana traveling to LA.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    You might want to check with a lawyer in the republic of California. I live in Indiana and work in San Francisco. The only California tax I pay is SUI/SDI. I get by with paying Indiana income tax because I am a pilot and fly more than 50% of the time outside of California's border. I would think you would pay California non-resident income tax. I keep a car in California with IN plates although it is parked on private property most of the time.

Again, I am a pilot and not an attorney, but I would get some legal advice. You really do not want to give up your Indiana residency.
    When I was working in Georgia with the wife in IN it was better tax-wise to claim that as my primary residence and IN as the secondary so that's what I did. I also had a GA DL as that's where I was when I decided to get back into shooting again and picked up my M&P9. When I came back to IN I simply got a new IN DL and applied for my LTCH.

I worked in LA for an extended period of time but as a contractor to avoid being taxed in California. Technically I was a business consultant based in Indiana traveling to LA.
    I'll have to look into the contractor route a bit more but I'm not sure if the company would be willing to go that route, not to mention that I'll have trouble with getting insurance if not on a group plan due to previous heart surgery. Of course, the all saving Obamacare will fix that. :)

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I just got off the phone with the ISP and they said if I get a DL from another state that I simply need to update the address on file for the LTCH. Whenever I'm back in IN, even with an out of state DL, my LTCH would be valid.

Seems a bit strange but the lady helping was certain of it. It sounds like it "converts" the LTCH to a non-resident status or something similar.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I still don't understand why you have to get a CA driver's lic to begin with. I lived there on and off for 13 years, never seen this is a big issue. you are traveling in that state, IN is still your primary residency.

dealing with the DMV(that's how they call it) is a total PITA. and you have to take a written test.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    The issue is raised by the fact that I would (potentially) be employed there on what would likely be a long term basis. They (the State) have the requirement that if one is "gainfully employed" within the state you must register your vehicle and obtain a CA drivers license. For tax purposes my domicile would remain within Indiana but I would be a resident of California. Yes, it's a bit crazy. If I was only going to be there for several months or as a contractor then I wouldn't worry about it. However taking a full-time, permanent, position does change things up a bit.

As noted prior, it does seem like I can maintain my LTCH by simply changing the address to match the DL I'd have at the time, even though that would be a CA DL - and that was my main concern.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    So I had a similar situation. My old CCW expired years ago and I never renewed since I stopped carrying and only had my guns at home. I was applying for the LTCH a couple years ago, and was concerned that I might get a job out of state. I was flopping between the lifetime and the 4 year or whatever. Before I applied, I called them up and asked what happens if I move out of state- do I have to reapply if I move back? They seemed puzzled (like no one has done it or asked about it) and said to just update my address with them.

I wish there were written procedures in a FAQ or something to address it as I'm sure several people are in the same situation considering the economy. There may be, but as all things with the govnt, good luck finding and/or interpreting them. I have very marketable skills in Cali, but hated LA and of course the gun laws but a job is a job.

I went ahead with the Lifetime and figured worst case, I would pay the fees again since the job would be more important than a few dollars. Now that there are super delays, I'm a bit concerned but haven't had to leave the state yet - so fingers crossed.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    The issue is raised by the fact that I would (potentially) be employed there on what would likely be a long term basis. They (the State) have the requirement that if one is "gainfully employed" within the state you must register your vehicle and obtain a CA drivers license. For tax purposes my domicile would remain within Indiana but I would be a resident of California. Yes, it's a bit crazy. If I was only going to be there for several months or as a contractor then I wouldn't worry about it. However taking a full-time, permanent, position does change things up a bit.

As noted prior, it does seem like I can maintain my LTCH by simply changing the address to match the DL I'd have at the time, even though that would be a CA DL - and that was my main concern.

I would proceed with caution regarding obtain a CA D/L, aka becoming a California Resident. simply because they don't like guns and in this day and age, you will never know what they would do to get your guns.

here is what I copied from CA Driver Handbook, see if any fits your situation:

New California Residents

When you become a California resident and you want to drive in California, you must apply for a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established in a variety of ways, including the following:

• Being registered to vote in California elections.
    • Paying resident tuition at a California college or university.
    • Filing for a home owner's property tax exemption.
    • Receiving any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

also something else you need to know about regarding maintain your vehicle registration in Indiana, car insurance is a lot cheaper here than California.

bottom line is, don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

good luck with your new adventure.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I would proceed with caution regarding obtain a CA D/L, aka becoming a California Resident. simply because they don't like guns and in this day and age, you will never know what they would do to get your guns.

here is what I copied from CA Driver Handbook, see if any fits your situation:

also something else you need to know about regarding maintain your vehicle registration in Indiana, car insurance is a lot cheaper here than California.

bottom line is, don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

good luck with your new adventure.
    Based on the way things are worded, and the fact that this would be a full-time position for a company based in CA, I don't think I'd really have a choice as long as I want to do things legally.

Here's the complete residency statement from the CVC; part (b) is where I'd get into trouble, although I might be able to skate till the end of the year.
    Resident 516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
    The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
    (a) Address where registered to vote.
    (b) Location of employment or place of business.
    (c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
    (d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
    (e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
    (f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
    (g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
    (h) Possession of a California driver's license.
    (i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
    I'm not planning on taking any of my firearms at the moment as I don't wish to have to register any handguns. If I want a rifle to just plink with I might buy one once I'm there (rather than taking any of my current inventory) but the whole ammo tax thing would be a RPITA to deal with. If I wind up driving there (as opposed to flying and just buying a beater to get around in) I could stop all along the way and stock up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom