• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I'm going to be moving out of IN to Idaho.

First question is what happens with my IN LTCH? Is it valid or invalid? And do I change the address with ISP? I tried to find the answers on the IN.GOV page but could not find anything.

Second question is how should I move my weapons? Wrapped up tight in the safe or in my personal vehicle (which is small, so that may not be a possibility)?

Thanks!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Somebody smarter than me will have to address your IN LTCH questions.

As to how to transport your firearms ... if you value them, they'll be unloaded and securely cased in the same vehicle as you when you move ... even if you have to rent another vehicle for the move.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    IANAL but I am pretty sure that if the move is permanent, your license becomes invalid because you will no longer be a resident of Indiana.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    1. Don't go.

2. There has been a lot of discussion concerning what happens to your LTCH (Lifetime) if you move out of state. My understanding is that it just goes dormant until you return to your senses and once again call Indiana your home. You would then provide your new Indiana address to ISP.
    Note: IANAL, but I used to watch Matlock.

3. A full gun safe can be very heavy. I would also be concerned about things shifting during transport and some of my firearms/accessories becoming damaged. When I have changed residences I always transported my firearms in cases ($29 hardshell works fine) inside my personal vehicle and covered/hidden by clothes or something else light in weight. Make sure they are unloaded and if possible in the trunk or very back of vehicle (out of reach).

Print a copy of 18 U.S. Code § 926A and keep it with you.

Note: Someone will be along shortly to correct any errors or omissions. :):

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Bad part is you have to go through the Peoples Republic Of Illinois first.
    1. Go through Ill as far south as possible, avoid Chitcago. I74 is good
    2. Unloaded and in a gun case locked in the trunk, I would also field strip anything That is eaisy (ARs, bolt guns , semi auto pistols)
    3. Gas up in Indiana and don't stop till Iowa.
    4. I would honestly sell my safe here after leaving and buy new out there before I moved.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    As soon as you are no longer an IN resident, your LTCH is inactivated by ISP. You will need to change your address w/ them, too.

Long guns, transport unloaded & inaccessible. Handguns, check the route & make sure your LTCH is honored in each of the states you travel thru. IL you can carry on your person in your vehicle, you just cannot exit your vehicle in IL w/ your gun. It must be locked out of sight if you do exit.

Get your ID permit once you establish residency.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    excellent advice! And I have "outgrown" my safe...:cool: I have a Utah, so I'm good everywhere except that communist state to the west

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    When I moved to WI for the rest of my life (3 Weeks), I had to go thru the communist state to the west. I had all kinds of class III stuff at the time. I loaded ALL my firearms, ammo etc into the truck first. The car hauler was behind that. Everything got packed on and around it.

I don't remember why but I got stopped in IL at some point. Pucker factor was thru the roof to say the least. That sucked knowing I was 100% legal but that it could be a very long night if the guy was a douche. Long story short, there was no drama after he verified my info. Not a single question about guns etc. I made it to WI and then 3 weeks later, disassembled all my weapons etc, put them in the trunk and did 60mph thru Chiraq and brought them home.

Good luck.

Bob

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel

First question is what happens with my IN LTCH? Is it valid or invalid? And do I change the address with ISP? I tried to find the answers on the IN.GOV page but could not find anything.

Second question is how should I move my weapons? Wrapped up tight in the safe or in my personal vehicle (which is small, so that may not be a possibility)?

Thanks!

Keep them locked in the trunk and don't remove them from the car is what I heard from others.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

Thanks!

ID is great! you'll love it there. Are you going to be in eastern ID or western? You MUST change your address with ISP (online, easy) within 90 days of moving. --- edited --- Some states have no residency requirements built in to which licenses/permits they honor, and may very well honor your IN LTCH even if you don't live here.
    ** SINCE I'm not a lawyer, take all of this with a big grain of salt and there's no need to make yourself a martyr/test case for this** Once in ID, just get the UT license and you'll be set. I DO know that the current laws regarding IN LTCH do NOT provide a method or reason to cancel/revoke someone's license just for moving (as opposed to a felony, etc).

Anyone please correct this if it seems wrong. Long story short, get the UT license.

1. Don't go.

2. There has been a lot of discussion concerning what happens to your LTCH (Lifetime) if you move out of state. My understanding is that it just goes dormant until you return to your senses and once again call Indiana your home. You would then provide your new Indiana address to ISP.
    Note: IANAL, but I used to watch Matlock.

Print a copy of 18 U.S. Code § 926A and keep it with you.
    :):

See above

As soon as you are no longer an IN resident, your LTCH is inactivated by ISP. You will need to change your address w/ them, too.

Long guns, transport unloaded & inaccessible. Handguns, check the route & make sure your LTCH is honored in each of the states you travel thru. IL you can carry on your person in your vehicle, you just cannot exit your vehicle in IL w/ your gun. It must be locked out of sight if you do exit.

Get your ID permit once you establish residency.

^THIS ^

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    p.s. you'll find a lot of like minded folks when it comes to carrying. You'll also find a lot of great public land out there to shoot, national forests and state forests are your friends. Many farmers will welcome anyone that wants to thin their numbers of gophers/coyotes if you're respectful.

If you like big game hunting, ID has moose, bear, WOLF, cougar, deer, elk, etc...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Lots of incorrect info in this thread. There is NO STIPULATION in the Indiana code to "deactivate" a LTCH, and moving out of state is not grounds for revocation. You must be an Indiana resident to be ISSUED a lifetime LTCH, but not to keep it. You must notify ISP of your change of address, but your LTCH remains valid in Indiana as well as anywhere that recognizes Indiana's LTCH and DOES NOT require you to be a resident of the state where you are licensed.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Lots of incorrect info in this thread. There is NO STIPULATION in the Indiana code to "deactivate" a LTCH, and moving out of state is not grounds for revocation. You must be an Indiana resident to be ISSUED a lifetime LTCH, but not to keep it. You must notify ISP of your change of address, but your LTCH remains valid in Indiana as well as anywhere that recognizes Indiana's LTCH and DOES NOT require you to be a resident of the state where you are licensed.

Yep..yep....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since the questions posed by the OP have been thoroughly answered already, this paranoia about Illinois is kind of silly.
    I and my friends have traveled to and through Illinois for rifle or pistol matches many times. It has never occurred to me to field strip anything. Just cased and in the trunk, if there was one. Many times I have traveled through Chicago with my AR in a soft case strapped to the seat behind me. On my Harley. On my way to Red Wing, MN.

Illinois is home to many active and highly skilled shooters of all disciplines. Including many LEO's from all over the state. It's no different than anywhere else. If you are doing something stupid, they will wind you up.

Sure, use common sense but traveling through or to that state is nothing special.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Since the questions posed by the OP have been thoroughly answered already, this paranoia about Illinois is kind of silly.
    I and my friends have traveled to and through Illinois for rifle or pistol matches many times. It has never occurred to me to field strip anything. Just cased and in the trunk, if there was one. Many times I have traveled through Chicago with my AR in a soft case strapped to the seat behind me. On my Harley. On my way to Red Wing, MN.

Illinois is home to many active and highly skilled shooters of all disciplines. Including many LEO's from all over the state. It's no different than anywhere else. If you are doing something stupid, they will wind you up.

Sure, use common sense but traveling through or to that state is nothing special.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, we frequent ILL every week and my wife works there. But there is a huge difference between taking a couple firearms to do shooting or hunting and packing up an entire collection, ammo mags and gear and heading cross country.
    Call it silly and paranoid but I would rather error on the side of caution then to have every single rifle, pistol, shotgun,mag and round I own confiscated in Podunk wherever until a court decides if I took enough precautions in transporting an "arsenal." That's a battle I would not want to fight.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I hear you. 5 guys in a Suburban. 3 service rifles, 2 match rifles, 5 long range rifles,. Spare rifles,and parts.Maybe 2500 rounds of ammo. Handguns on us and in the vehicle, stools,mats, spotting scope, stands, shooting coats. I suppose it could be considered an arsenal. Our biggest worry was where to stop for coffee so we aren't late.

There are some really great ranges in Illinois to partake of. Don't be a nervous nelly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    First question is what happens with my IN LTCH? Is it valid or invalid?

Valid until you hit one of the improper person paragraphs.

And do I change the address with ISP?

Yes, of course, you are moving so mail ISP your new address. If it was me, I'd get a new pink card with your new address.

Safe, your vehicle, the power of The Force, whatever you think is best.

Speaking from experience and I don't know what you have (and don't want to know), wrap them in the big bubble bubble wrap, tape the snot of them and put them in boxes marked "curtain rods". (Man, I love that reference).

Top Bottom