• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    So, I'm moving out (finally!) and have my one handgun and my one rifle. (Provided finances allow it, a shotgun is my next purchase. Or maybe my Christmas present to myself?)

My roommate seems to be a bit terrified that I have a conceal carry license and has been constantly asking me where my guns will be stored and locked. I have reassured her that I am safe with my two. That my rifle stays locked in it's range bag (because it stays at home, and I don't trust family...) and my handgun stays with me.

Tonight she asked me if I leave them loaded. She proceeded to tell me that it's 'unsafe' to leave them loaded all the time as safety's fail on a regular basis. I'm not sure where she is getting her information, and I started to tell her that my CC one stays loaded. Period.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEGOTIATION in that part of our Roommate Contract.

Am I taking the wrong approach to this?
    Or, rather, is there a better way to explain to her that it will be with me,... not just left alone?

I've already made a few 'exemptions' about other non-issue type things. But this is one thing I will not budge on, at all...

/headdesk

Help? Opinions...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Tell her the gun rules. Assume all guns are always loaded, don't point them at anything you don't want to kill, know what is behind your target, etc. Problem solved, and all guns become safe, even if there is an accidental discharge due to a safety failure or whatever other fictional problem she can imagine. She just should never get into your stuff, and especially never touch your guns if she is uncomfortable with guns.

What a shame that so many parents did not teach their children how to live with guns.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    The obvious comment I would have for her is "I'm from Missouri" as in show me where these safeties are failing on a regular basis. But, that's the smartass in me.

If you are at the point, or if she is at the point, where it is better if the roommate contract is terminated, so be it. Just make sure you aren't breaking any agreements that you are financially responsible for (such as breaking a lease) and that you receive any and all monies you are entitled to (such as your portion of the deposit).

And as you are walking out, hand over your key, smile and say, Sleep well tonight, Sunshine.

:D

/smartasshattery

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Fear of guns is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity...Freud

Sounds like you should take her to the range and show her safety in handling and shooting. If she still doesn't trust it; I would imagine she won't steal anything when one of you moves out :)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I think OP is saying that her roomie to be is terrified.

I'd hold off on moving in with anyone so terrified of inanimate objects. She probably has kitchen knives. People get stabbed by those all the time, yet she's not worried about them.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Take her shooting. Otherwise, sounds like you got it covered by movin out, unless you mean you're moving out of somewhere else to move in with her.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Moving out of parents, into apartment with her.

I've thought about the range idea, but I don't know if she'd be okay with it... At least not up front.
    I find it odd that her mother is a 2A person, but she's marginally against it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Tell roomie she needs to stop getting into bathtubs or automobiles immediately. They are far more dangerous and un-predictable than your firearms are. They kill and maim many more each year than firearms do.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Buy a small biometric safe for your EDC/HD pistol, so you have instant access to it (loaded), but no one else does.

Keep your long guns unloaded, and safeties on, perhaps use trigger locking mechanisms. Lockup your ammo if you cannot lockup your long guns. I use a medicine cabinet with a key to keep my ammo in.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's just fear of the unknown plus the BS people hear in the media like "if you own a gun you have 87.5% chances of shooting yourself or a loved one during the first year", "9 out of 10 gun owners are killed by their own gun" etc.
    Educate her and take her shooting.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's just fear of the unknown plus the BS people hear in the media like "if you own a gun you have 87.5% chances of shooting yourself or a loved one during the first year", "9 out of 10 gun owners are killed by their own gun" etc.

Oh yea, there are a lot of grrrrreat statistics out there, like 90% of all people who commit gun suicides are gun owners (you'd think 100%, but they don't want it to sound too unbelievable I guess).

Edit, whoops, you covered that already. It is one of my favorite moronical statistics... :)

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Moving out of parents, into apartment with her.

I've thought about the range idea, but I don't know if she'd be okay with it... At least not up front.
    I find it odd that her mother is a 2A person, but she's marginally against it.

make a quick "detour" and somehow end up at the range? :dunno:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Yeah as others have said you basically have two options. Educate her properly assuming she is interested in listening to you and hope she changes her stance, or you change yours. If one of those two do not happen your gonna need a different roommate.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Sit her down at the table when no one's around. Tell her to stare at the clock for 5 minutes and count every second. Tell her the cops could take 10 or more to show up. Then tell her if someone broke in armed if she thinks she'd make it that long nevertheless to the phone. Then tell her you got her back as long as you're there, and that if she wants to take care of herself, to go to the range with you.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville

Quoting your Sig line would be redundant... But, you have the right philosophy

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Sit her down at the table when no one's around. Tell her to stare at the clock for 5 minutes and count every second. Tell her the cops could take 10 or more to show up. Then tell her if someone broke in armed if she thinks she'd make it that long nevertheless to the phone. Then tell her you got her back as long as you're there, and that if she wants to take care of herself, to go to the range with you.

I like this plan. Kudos. I'm out of rep... Or was.

Top Bottom