• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Been at this for a month!!!!! @CHCRandy has been great getting the new place brought up to what we had to have to move in. Been living there a while while moving stuff in.

Movers are today. Late as they went to the wrong job.

Now to fit the bigger house of stuff into the smaller place.

This SUCKS. But now I can shoot at my own place.

Did I mention moving SUCKS?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You never realize how much random debris your life collects until you have to move house. I've been trying to pare down my own debris field with the questions:

1) Do I use this?

if no:

2) Will my son throw this away when I'm dead?

if yes:

Gone.
    I actually moved left-over wood from projects...most of which I ended up burning.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Moving is known to be one of life’s more stressful events. Some surveys have it coming in third behind only the death of a loved one and going thru a divorce.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Moving is HORRIBLE! We did it 2 years ago, after being in a house for 20 years and 3 kids. We purged and completely filled 40-yard dumpster and we still have to much sh!t with no place to go. Like you, I have a place I to shoot now as well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hesitate to think of the dumbest thing I've moved, but I'm pretty sure it's boxes of books I'm extremely unlikely to read again.
    If I thought about it too much....I'd cry.

When I was getting ready to move, however, it's easy for me to pinpoint the stupidest thing I had held onto for years. While going through a cabinet, I found my store of Y2k drinking water, about 8 gallons (just in case).

I found it while packing to move in September 2014.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Yep, never moving again! Leading up to it, the great purge went on. We ate our food supply (so we didn't habe to move so much) trying not to buy groceries until the new house...then we had to replenish after the move. :spend:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We had at least 11 major moves, mostly interstate, but two international. I learned to give away books (a lot). I learned not to trust movers (some cheat and some steal). Glad I'm here to stay until I move into a care facility and then to my heavenly home.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Yes, moving is extremely stressful. And it's worse if you're a pack-rat and refuse to throw things away. :wavey:

We moved inter-state last year. We rented a large U-Haul large box truck + auto-transport, then later a U-Haul trailer, then still filled another large box-truck with the stuff we had moved professionally (including 2 good-sized safes and a full-size vending machine).

2 large box truck loads
    1 large trailer-load
    At least a dozen full / over-full loads in a pickup truck
    4 vehicles

All 4.5 hours one-way

Never moving again.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Update: finally called when crew was 90 min late. Supposed to be here at 9. They sent another crew. Got here 11:40. They have been busting a$$. Original crew was to be here by noon to help. 1:45 and they called to say they are on a lunch break. Second crew is not happy.

I feel Like I am overseas with the sweat I have pouring iut. Got to unload my 16’ trailer tonight due to rain tomorrow.

Still have to buy feed since I mistimed running out and won’t have enough for tomorrow am.

Still wondering where it is all going to go.

Sigh. I will move again. Just not anytime soon. Next will be the last time.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    You never realize how much random debris your life collects until you have to move house. I've been trying to pare down my own debris field with the questions:

1) Do I use this?

if no:

2) Will my son throw this away when I'm dead?

if yes:

Gone.
    Only problem is most of what I have I DO or WILL use. Been pitching for ages. Refuse to get rid of my exercise equipment as it will be too costly to replace and I need to get back at that. (Total space required is about a small bathroom)

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    We were scheduled to move at the beginning of COVID. Everyone cancelled, no one would come into your house, it was a disaster. Wife and I, along with a few close friends, moved several trailer loads and a few UHaul loads on our own the hour south. I'm never moving again if I can help it.

Mike

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I hesitate to think of the dumbest thing I've moved, but I'm pretty sure it's boxes of books I'm extremely unlikely to read again.

Yup…

We’ve essentially moved three times since February.

1) From our house to a friends house a few miles down the road for three weeks, back in Phoenix.

2) Into an AirBnB in Wabash for a month.

3) Into our current place.

The sucky part?

4) An almost 100% certain move to Lafayette in the next two months or so thanks to an unexpected and rapid work situation change. :crying:

We moved out here from AZ back in mid-March. I got offered a job the first week of February, and we had our house of seven years fully packed into a 16’x8’x8’ shipping container in less than three weeks (not counting all my guns, ammo, and motorcycles). We got rid of SO much stuff, and yet we still have more crap than we want, haha. It SUCKED. Then all the crap in steps 1-3, with two dogs. And now step 4.

Given how my industry works, we’ll likely move another two or three times before we can settle down for real. I love what I do, but maaaaan, the moving part sucks, haha.

So back to the quote above, anybody wanna buy some books? :abused:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Only problem is most of what I have I DO or WILL use. Been pitching for ages. Refuse to get rid of my exercise equipment as it will be too costly to replace and I need to get back at that. (Total space required is about a small bathroom)

Disassembling and reassembling my Smith machine would be such a PITA. Plus it's in the basement. The gun safe has always been challenging without 3 men and a mule, and I (and my friends) were younger back then. The mule is probably dead by now.

Any furniture in the basement goes with the house whenever I'm done with it. I am never trying to get a sofa up those stairs, down was bad enough. And, again, younger with younger friends.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You have my sympathy. I moved 16 times before I was on my own. I moved another 16 times after getting married.

Moves were a breeze when I was a bachelor in between. Two US Army duffle bags, a couple of boxes, a stereo and a guitar with amplifier. Load in the car and go. Every city has a firm that will bring you a new bed with sheets, blankets and pillows that day, all it takes is a phone call.

If I live longer than my wife, I will gather up a few things, and hire a liquidator to empty my house. He can wire transfer me the money when he is done. 90% of everything I have is stuff that comes with having a wife. All the crap my wife inherited is stuff none of the kids or grandkids want, so I get to store the old junk because she feels guilty to let it go. Anything else can be easily picked in the new town or for pennies on the dollar at a Good Will store. I am past the Rolex and diamond pinky ring stage in my life. ( I bought a new motorcycle after selling them) Peace, Free time, health and enjoying friends are far more important to me than anything on Amazon. I look around this house and there are very few things I would miss. I don't want to be homeless, but I don't need much past that.

One thing about moving often, you do not have time to collect much clutter.

Good luck

Top Bottom