• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Been around guns all my life but I did something today with a friend I've never done before. I drew & began firing at fairly close range while moving backwards and to the side. Emptied the magazine, dropped it and loaded a 2nd mag. Dropping and loaded the 2nd mag didn't happen nearly as far as I thought it would. Kept firing emptying the 2nd mag on target. What a freaking blast!! In all my years of shooting and target practice, I've never done anything like that. Just wanted to share.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    I very rarely just go target shooting anymore. Most of my shooting is practicing drills, its more fun and lets face it most of us own guns to use for self defence. Drawing, standing still, taking aim and then firing is not going to win gunfights.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Now that sounds like fun, as well as good practice for a stressful situation. Can't do something like that at the range I belong to, against the rules, but it would be fun to go somewhere and try it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Set up a small course and practice this if possible. Public range does not usually allow these drills but in the woods on private property is just to much fun. This skill is a good one to have.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I very rarely just go target shooting anymore. Most of my shooting is practicing drills, its more fun and lets face it most of us own guns to use for self defence. Drawing, standing still, taking aim and then firing is not going to win gunfights.

I doubt I'll do a lot of stationary target shooting anymore. Today was too much fun not to mention good practice as you rightly point out.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    This is a good drill to practice. Also try it using instinctive shooting. You'll be amazed how quickly you will learn to hit the target without aiming.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    LarryJr, that is a fun target practice drill. In a self-defense situuation, I might remind INGOers that an aggressive isosceles or weaver stance puts your weapon in danger of being grabbed by an offender. A good presentation at close range is using your weak hand to keep the offender at least an arms length away while firing from the hip with your strong hand. Of course, the shooter can transition to a more traditional shooting style as s/he increases distance and finds cover.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    LarryJr, that is a fun target practice drill. In a self-defense situuation, I might remind INGOers that an aggressive isosceles or weaver stance puts your weapon in danger of being grabbed by an offender. A good presentation at close range is using your weak hand to keep the offender at least an arms length away while firing from the hip with your strong hand. Of course, the shooter can transition to a more traditional shooting style as s/he increases distance and finds cover.
    wouldn't this position your weak hand past the distance of the muzzle? I could see some one accidently putting a round through their hand like that. Not trying to be a smart ass just asking a serious question.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    wouldn't this position your weak hand past the distance of the muzzle? I could see some one accidently putting a round through their hand like that. Not trying to be a smart ass just asking a serious question.

Yes, it would... That's why I don't do it that way. When the firearm is drawn, my weak hand against my body, behind and away from the muzzle.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    As well as IDPA, you can shoot on the move against multiple targets at USPSA/IPSC matches every weekend in Indiana.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    HandK has on numerous occasions given free training to a lot of INGO'ers @ some of the PW meets we had. If I remember correctly, if they are close enough to get within arms reach, by placing your hand on the BG, you can be manipulated easy.

In the pic below HandK taught us this technique to keep the BG from getting to close, and to prevent the muzzle from touching the BG, because if they get close enough the slide may get pushed back enough to take it out of battery. Something you do not want to happen.
    (the pic was taken @ either the PW2 or PW3 meet/greet/training, and can't remember the INGO'ers name)

2010-09-250011372.jpg~original

We also practiced what was called the "running man", it was where we retreated backwards at a diagonal to not only create distance, but a moving target that will make it harder to hit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Coach at BFT and the Viray boys at ACT taught me how to shoot safely and effectively on the move. This is a very valuable, possible life saving, skill that I would highly recommend pursuing.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    HandK has on numerous occasions given free training to a lot of INGO'ers @ some of the PW meets we had. If I remember correctly, if they are close enough to get within arms reach, by placing your hand on the BG, you can be manipulated easy.

In the pic below HandK taught us this technique to keep the BG from getting to close, and to prevent the muzzle from touching the BG, because if they get close enough the slide may get pushed back enough to take it out of battery. Something you do not want to happen.
    (the pic was taken @ either the PW2 or PW3 meet/greet/training, and can't remember the INGO'ers name)

We also practiced what was called the "running man", it was where we retreated backwards at a diagonal to not only create distance, but a moving target that will make it harder to hit.
    ok I see, with the firearm twisted sideways I would be less concerned about putting a round through my arm. I was worried that the recoild could cause a follow up shot to go to high by accident and place the round through your arm or hand.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN

Good stuff, thank you

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN

Thanks Indybeerman

Top Bottom