Mozilla CEO forced to step down for having same gay-rights views as Obama in '08

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    MY position is that he should not return to the CEO spot. He's a lightning rod and, as I have stated again and again, is bad for business. Sorry you can't get that. It's not a moral issue, not sure why you folks keep trying to make it one. He was a bad fit for their company and its image, (according to their press releases) and was damaging the brand they like to project. Do you have a crystal ball that is going to allow you to see the future without him? I'll wait and see, but I will NOT support him returning as CEO, due to the image he projects. I say this as a customer and decade long contributor to Mozilla.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Show me any group that has weaponized a donor list like this... I used the Falwell types as an example because a) I figured that they were among the most likely to have done it (and I couldn't find an example), and b) I figured that they'd be high on your list of folks to point out and say "see - they did it too!". Honestly - I just haven't seen ANYONE weaponize the donor list - and it WAS by all accounts a leaked on and not a public one. This Eich fellow was the most public case to lose his job. I know of others as well (not CEO's and not as public as this). All were targeted from this leaked list. And this is the only case that I'm aware of where organizations have vindictively targeted folks like this.

If you know of ANY examples - I'm all ears.
    If you'd like to search the list the LATimes has had it for a long time. You can search pro or against.
    Proposition 8 Campaign Contributions - Los Angeles Times

It's also available via the Sec State site, (Ooooooh, some leak), where it came from.
    California Secretary of State - CalAccess - Campaign Finance

Donor lists, from bottom tier candidates to PACS are public record. Not "leaked".

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't really see him as projecting any sort of image. He donated in support of traditional marriage. Apparently that's a bad image, and bad for business? I don't think it's anyone's business what he believes. The outrage was all caused by GLAAD. That's it.

However, people in the same company donating to anti-Semite causes is A-OK.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Here's my question. I did a quick Google search to see what percentage of the U.S. population is LGBT. According to a study done in 2011 the figure is 3.8%. So . . . . . if every one of the LGBT community called, emailed, texted, or tweeted Mozilla would that have more influence than the "silent" 96.2% majority ? It seems to me ( wholly uninformed about the whole issue ) that the LGBT community has managed to convince the management of a large corporation that there is financial liability in this ! I'm not buying it. I contend the dismissal was done to be politically correct - not for purely financial reasons.

In the last few weeks, World Vision announced they would hire LBGT people. If you didn't know, World Vision is an Evangelical Christian humanitarian aid, development, and advocacy organization. There was an uproar over this and they reversed that decision.

As for your comment about the silent majority. I was a part of the silent majority who supported the right to carry, but never really defended it. That was until Moms demanding attention started attacking private businesses trying to get them to ban guns with lies and fake propaganda. I then started to reply to idiotic posts from the people who made crazy claims. I been blocked by a few (oh well), but I tolerate the idiots better now then I did then. Honestly, the "silent majority" (if true) needs to speak up and make their beliefs and convictions known. Otherwise businesses will see no opposition and cave. Joining the NRA, NAGR, etc. (or other groups for other issues), only does so much.

Sadly I am seeing more and more that if you are profess you are a christian or religious and come out against an idea but not the people, you are a bigot and intolerant. If I am against your issue, but like you as a friend, I am not intolerant towards you, I just don't agree with something you agree on. I have friends who are strictly anti gun, I know better to talk about guns to them.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    MY position is that he should not return to the CEO spot. He's a lightning rod and, as I have stated again and again, is bad for business. Sorry you can't get that. It's not a moral issue, not sure why you folks keep trying to make it one. He was a bad fit for their company and its image, (according to their press releases) and was damaging the brand they like to project. Do you have a crystal ball that is going to allow you to see the future without him? I'll wait and see, but I will NOT support him returning as CEO, due to the image he projects. I say this as a customer and decade long contributor to Mozilla.

Yet:

If they did take a downturn, I still would not support his return. I do not support his position, even though I support his right to say it. The free market spoke and he resigned. I have no problem with that.

While the condescending "sorry you can't get that" is really cute, your positions are logically inconsistent. You don't support him because he is bad for business, but you still don't support him even if firing him is bad for business.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Then someone could keep us updated as in what words are not vogue this week like tranny and homosexual are out of fashion. We could call it the gay straight alliance section or something or other

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Rambone - my comments don't have one darn thing to do with gay, straight, green, purple or whatever. They have to do with silencing folks by getting the donor lists and weaponizing those lists by attacking people's livelihoods. That is wrong no matter where it is done. Period. So far this is the only example that I have seen of this - and it happens to be folks that are Anti-Prop 8 that are doing this. I will be GLAD to decry this sort of behavior no matter where I find it. So far no one has shown me any other examples and I have been unable to find any.

mrjarrell - great - since all of these are public, then there ought to be plenty of examples of folks being nailed to the wall and them losing their job because of their presence on such a list.

Please show me. I can give you examples of more ordinary (non-public facing ) people who lost their jobs due to their support of Prop 8. But I know - F him. You disagree with him and therefore his rights don't matter either.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Rambone - my comments don't have one darn thing to do with gay, straight, green, purple or whatever. They have to do with silencing folks by getting the donor lists and weaponizing those lists by attacking people's livelihoods. That is wrong no matter where it is done. Period.

mrjarrell - great - since all of these are public, then there ought to be plenty of examples of folks being nailed to the wall and them losing their job because of their presence on such a list.

Please show me. I can give you examples of more ordinary (non-public facing ) people who lost their jobs due to their support of Prop 8.

Wrong, but should be perfectly legal. Profits and moral codes aren't exactly kissin' cousins, and business will choose the former, over the latter, the majority of the time.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Here's my question. I did a quick Google search to see what percentage of the U.S. population is LGBT. According to a study done in 2011 the figure is 3.8%. So . . . . . if every one of the LGBT community called, emailed, texted, or tweeted Mozilla would that have more influence than the "silent" 96.2% majority ? It seems to me ( wholly uninformed about the whole issue ) that the LGBT community has managed to convince the management of a large corporation that there is financial liability in this ! I'm not buying it. I contend the dismissal was done to be politically correct - not for purely financial reasons.

The numbers break down as 1.7% gay/lesbian, 1.8% bi-sexual, and 0.3% trans-gender, specifically. But they're the ones to call the shots for everyone else - haven't you heard? Tolerance is no longer acceptable. The new minimum is forced total acceptance of deviance and violation of the natural order of man and nature. Gays have to bake cakes for the Ku Klux Klan, Christians have to bake cakes for gays, Muslims have to bake cakes for atheists, and the world now has a million percent more cakes in it. What a world!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    kutnupe - you and I agree on the "it's wrong" part. And I don't know that it's even wise to try to legislate against it - so we may even agree on the "it's legal and ought to be" part.

It says a lot (and not good) about our society when we choose to go there....

Let me explain why this sort of thing got my goat... I knew a talented musician back in Sacramento from when I lived there - and I heard the rest of the story after I moved out here. I was not a close friend of his - but I knew him and his family. He worked at an off-Broadway venue in Sacramento called the Music Circus. They put on Broadway style shows all spring and summer in Sacramento. Very well known place. He had a lot of friends there and elsewhere that were gay. For religious reasons, he was on the other side of Prop 8 from many of the folks he worked with. By all accounts - he was well liked by everyone, no matter which side of the debate. At least by those who worked with him and knew him.

His name was found on the donor list and the place was descended upon by picketers calling for his head. He was simply the keyboard player and part time music arranger (although an exceptionally talented one with a bunch of degrees in music). He was simply collateral damage as some of the political organizations grabbed that list and flexed their muscle. Threats were made - and the rule of show business prevailed - the show must go on. Not with his help. He was summarily fired. They couldn't afford the threat of hundreds of protesters. It would have destroyed their business. They were on the edge. So he had to go. THAT is why I cannot cheer for this sort of behavior the way the mrjarrell seems to take pleasure in it. It is , in a word, WRONG. And it pisses me off something fierce when I see it, much less see people take joy in it because of their position on the issue.

The thing I fear more - is that these same tactics will be used against others as well. Our society is degrading in front of our eyes, and we are becoming more accepting of it. And Prop 8 won't be the issue du jour the next time - it will be 2A or support for a fringe candidate or ....

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You don't think the 4% has a huge number if supporters in the non LGBT community? There is no 96% silent majority. Hell, a bit over 50% of the population is pro gay marriage.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    You can please some of the people some of the time and then there are people that hate themselves so much you can never please them.
    Mozilla, Mo? Problems | Web Exclusives | Daily Writings From Our Top Writers | First Things

And where did they get his donation record from again?
    Now some things need to be explained to me after all his public statements supporting the gay community a $1000 private donation to something he believed in privately and personally. Illegally let out in public cost him his job in a company he founded, was very qualified to do and in no way (other than this donation) did anything to any gay member of mozilla. Man I gotta say this is not the America I grew up in anymore.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You don't think the 4% has a huge number if supporters in the non LGBT community? There is no 96% silent majority. Hell, a bit over 50% of the population is pro gay marriage.

If only non blacks would have stood shoulder to shoulder with blacks sooner, this country might not have a 300 year history of racism that it does.

You don't have to be black or gay to see what's happening with them is wrong.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Do 2 wrongs make a right?

How are you going to convince someone that their thinking is wrong by violating them?

So if you take the position that you do, hornadylnl (and that's a fair one to take) - then how do you justify this sort of behavior?

Add to that the very real risk that this sort of mob (conform or be fired) mentality will be used with other issues and I can't condone this sort of action - regardless of your point of view on the issue at hand.

That is precisely why I take the position that this is not about Prop 8, gay, straight, or anything else. This is about force being applied to folks based on their political choices. And that's a slippery slope indeed.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    the world now has a million percent more cakes in it. What a world!

I like cake. German chocolate with caramel-coconut frosting please.:D

Who will be baking for the straight, agnostic, redneck, closeted rap music fans? Oh damn, I think I just outed myself.:(

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I like cake. German chocolate with caramel-coconut frosting please.:D

Who will be baking for the straight, agnostic, redneck, closeted rap music fans? Oh damn, I think I just outed myself.:(

You were doing fine up until that rap music part... bake 'yer own cake... (evil grin)

And considering I just wrote like that - whose gonna bake Harley Rider a cake? Arghh.. this gets worse...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom