• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Does anyone have any experience with MRE's past their shelf life? I've read three to seven years is best case for shelf life. I have some that are about 20 years old. Anyone have experience that says these might still be good? Any way to tell if they are bad?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I too have some old ones...

I'd say we should open them up, look them over (color, consistency, smell, taste). Then either 1) throw them away or 2) use the components of the MRE that are still good immediately.

My guess is that they are NOT suitable for human consumption (except for the coffee).

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    my dad has some left over c rations that hes had since he went thru ranger school. i think their for more of a keepsake to remind him how bad they sucked haha

as far as those MRE's youve had for 20 years. . . throw them in the dumpster haha

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    MRE shelf life is based on storage temps and the effects are cumulative. There's a chart out there on the net somewhere that the US Army's Natick Researsh Lab developed some time ago. My understanding is that the data was based on palatability. So, if you're asking if they're "good" or "bad" from a taste perspective, they're probably pretty funky by now.

But, if you're asking whether they're "good" or "bad from a safe-to-eat perspective, that's another matter. I haven't seen any data on that other than the general truth that the safety and nutrition of the product extends way beyond where the taste breaks down.

MRE Storage Chart / Shelf life

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since they're sterile inside, I doubt if it would hurt you to eat old MREs. The shelf life is related to how long what is inside will resemble actual food. At some point, it's going to just be a less than palatable blend of mush. Only one way to find out!

I actually have some MRE tortellini in the basement from before "Y2K." Maybe I'll give 'em a try before I pitch 'em.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've eaten 10+ years old MREs that were still pretty good and they were not ideally stored. At 20 years I would be scared.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I actually have some MRE tortellini in the basement from before "Y2K." Maybe I'll give 'em a try before I pitch 'em.

That's not tortellini. You know how some food manufacturers like to use the WHOLE cow? :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Last year we opened up a couple 15yo MREs.

Meh... it was food.

I've got about a dozen left and I'm thinking about rotating them out too.

About 20-25 years ago my dad opened up the stash (about a dozen full boxes) of C-rations in the garage. Surprisingly a lot of it was still good.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I was a part of the Airwing aboard the USS Constellation off Vietnam in 1973 someone above me decided it would be a good idea to clean out some of the items in storage. I ate for two days on meals that were prepared in the 40's. Stuff was still OK but the cigarettes were a little stale.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I thought I posted this earlier
    But here goes for me
    I have some that I have been going through the last year ( on the average of 1 meal a week)
    That are approaching 16 years old
    No issues other than the Tobasco is brown ( read do not open) the M&M's are good
    The starburst type candies are turning to jell
    Other than that No biggie
    I won't eat the tuna LOL and would not eat it fresh
    Mine have been in dry/cool storage in my basement since 1995
    The last lot I opened were packed in 1992 with a test/inspection date of 5/95
    I have them arranged oldest on top
    I know thier storage has been OK with me and assume they were in cold storage before I got them , I used to work at a surplus store and took part of my pay in these LOL

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is the website with all the MRE INFO you ever want to know and then more.
    MREInfo - Home

Short answer is MREs like canned food can last a long time (100+ years for canned food) and still be "ok" to eat meaning it won't kill you. Taste and what the stuff looks like after a while is a different story.

There are document studies of canned food found in sunken ships 100+ years and when opened it was bacterica free and safe to eat. Taste was ok for the meat products but bla for the "fruit/vegs".

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In 1973 I was on board the USS Constellation. The Captian or someone had the idea of cleaning out the hold. Someone had saw fit to bring on board C rations from WWII. The rations were there since the keal was laid I think. We ate the rations for two days. They were interesting to say the least. I true bit of history. They still were still good after more than 20 years. The cigarettes the rations contained were a different story. Very harsh. I threw mine away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I still have both A and B boxes... 1-24, from right before my Hadjiiland tours started, and they are still good. One of my basement rooms (50 F year round) has them and I took a chicken and salsa, still the best thing ever, so it's been 4-5 years since I have had them, I took them in 2004.

Top Bottom