• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    OK, my last experience with MRE-type meals was in the late 70's, USAF In-flight meals I think they were called. Basically C-rats.

Was on a detail the other night, and after my bag of beef jerky ran out, I got to thinking about MRE's (or similar), and wondered if there are any that can be eaten cold, or with very little prep fuss. Just to have a few to stash in my patrol car.

Suggestions??

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    the newer ones in the tan bags are MUCH better than the ones you are describing. most of them can be eaten cold, but the way the heaters are in the bags are great.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You can eat any of them cold, i've did it, in some places that you could not use a heater for reasons.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    while i would NEVER call an MRE tasty... ever.... all the new ones can be eaten cold, and if you are pretty hungry dont taste to bad until you start to fill up... be sure to have something to drink though because the bread/cookies/pound cake are all REALLY dry.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Remember, you can always keep them close to your body to bring them close to room temp or under the hood of a car (preferably non-moving or recently turned off) to really warm them up.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Not to hijack my own thread, but I recently saw a story about an Army officer who retired, and at his party, opened a can of pound cake he had saved since Viet Nam. Said it was still tasty.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    you can eat them hot or cold

the new ones don't have globs of fat in them when cold. I remember finding that in the 1980's stuff.

And yes- the eggs are sponge like.....

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    They're all good cold, when you're hungry.

Yes indeed.

I recall eating c-rat canned goodies that were at least 20 years old years ago while in the field. You can eat any of the MREs cold. If you are wanting to select some MREs for stash, just choose obvious cold meal palatable choices. Some "entrees" are better than others when consumed cold if you have no heat source. Me - I'm not a picky ass and will eat damn near anything fit to eat when hungry.

Top Bottom