• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Reading the HAM operators thread got me thinking about how each of use should learn different skills and share the ones we have.

I think it would be great to have our experts in their fields do a two to four part class/study group in their subject. Example: A four part class on HAM radios on Mondays for a month. How about a three or four part class on Saturdays on the basics of blacksmithing?

This is an idea that could easily be folded into the MSGs and most classes could be held a public libraries (barring blacksmithing, etc...), which allow you to use their conference rooms for free.

Some ideas for classes would be:

HAM radio
    Basic electrical theory and generators
    Knife making and basic blacksmithing
    Basic first aid thru trauma
    Solar panels and battery banks
    Brewing (in four weeks I can teach each person and have them walk away with a case of brew they make themselves)

I am sure there is much, much more. All we need is each person to step forward and be willing to teach what they know.

I am not set up for it right now but I will be willing to teach blacksmithing, knife making, and brewing. Who else has skills they are willing to share through giving classes.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Lynn -- This is a really good idea. While I don't know if I can come up with enough material to cover a 4-part class, but can help out witht he ham radio bit. -- Greg

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    This is a great idea! :yesway:

I'll be interested in all of the classes mentioned above. Specially HAM radio, solar panels and brewing. Because when SHTF and liquor is scarce, moonshine would be valuable. Not to mention it can be used to power some cars.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Forget ham radio...what you want/need is a course on using radios for communications. Long haul and short haul. You need some radio theory on how to build a NVIS antenna system for localized coverage, the difference between AM, SSB, and FM, some digital mode education, and a dash of emergency communications.

You need to learn about the DHS and how they use radios, you need to learn about FEMA and how they communicate. I urge you to take and pass the FREE National Incident Management System courses that are available from the FEMA website. You need to learn procedures.

I think another good weekend mini-course would be on food and water preservation. Dehydration, canning, and long term storage options at least.

Great idea by the way.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Lynn - Great ideas all around.

Very important that all MSG group in some way are interacting with each other. I'm sure we could all benefit from lessons learned, knowledge share, etc.

Would like to see you available for the MSG2 discussion as well. :-)

Cheers

Indy Prepper

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Lynn -- This is a really good idea. While I don't know if I can come up with enough material to cover a 4-part class, but can help out witht he ham radio bit. -- Greg

Maybe not a 4 day class but I bet you could do one day on an equipment demo and basic information and then two or three days of helping people prepare for their test. Kind of a study group.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Some suggestions if I may. I am the "radio guy" in my group. Every member of our group has their area of expertise. Together we are stronger. They rely on me to recommend the equipment and training to get up to speed on comms.

Some guys flat out do not have the time or aptitude to take on learning the theory and details of Ham radio. They want, "what do I buy how do I use it."

That's ok, I cant weld or tear down an engine. We have people that can though.

I have found that getting easy to to use, reliable radios and teaching the basics of the operation of the radio, SWR etc has sparked interest in some members who are not licensed to start studying.

Each time we meet I add more learning, theory and homework.

Its a work in progress, not everyone will have the skills to comm with DHS or FEMA but someone in your group has to be that guy.

Just my opinion.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    As usual, Sailor is better at expressing things than I am; in most cases it seems we are thinking on the same frequency, he's just better at expressing it.

I have the presentation from Lars on 'communications during an event' (emergency or otherwise). It cover not only ham radio, but business, FRS/GMRS, shortwave, etc. I would plan on using this presentation as a starting point; then more into basic equipment and DIY antennas. Folks are better off studying for the test(s) on their own.

PistolBob -- I don't understand your remark "forget ham radio"... most of the other things in your post (DHS, FEMA, etc.) are based around "ham radio". In the initial aftermath of Katrine, only ham radio was working. Also, Indiana DHS has a semi-annual communications test, and it is 80-90% ham. Yes, the NIMS course is good for all and good to know, but it does cover actual type of communications (at least to the best of my memory).

Good Day to All -- Greg

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Another thing to focus on is efficient use of all communications. Chances are phone/internet will be running. With today's tech I can hit one button on my smart phone and dictate a message that will text or email a group of people with one keystroke.

Clear concise communications in the field under stress ALWAYS is a problem. It is not practiced enough. Adding medical and comms to range drills every time helps.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    PistolBob -- I don't understand your remark "forget ham radio"... most of the other things in your post (DHS, FEMA, etc.) are based around "ham radio". In the initial aftermath of Katrine, only ham radio was working. Also, Indiana DHS has a semi-annual communications test, and it is 80-90% ham. Yes, the NIMS course is good for all and good to know, but it does cover actual type of communications (at least to the best of my memory).

When the SHTF, like it did during Katrina, radio is the key. That can be GMRS, FRS, CB, or whatever it takes to communicate. When the SHTF I doubt many people are going to be worrying about who has a license to get on the air or not. The FCC will be too busy with other problems, like failing cellular networks, and broadcast band communications. I guess my point was do not limit yourself to just thinking about using amateur radio frequencies, although that's where you're going to be most likely to find listeners on HF (long distance).

The reason the NIMS classes are great to take is they spell out what steps the government agencies that will assume to be in charge, will be taking in setting up access and comms to a disaster site. That can be very good info to know, as you can make yourself available to help and stay in the information "pipeline" so to speak. FEMA and DHS keep track of who has taken NIMS courses, you are issued a certificate for each course you take and pass.

If you are a licensed radio amateur under Part 97 of the FCC rules, I would urge you to join your local Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service. (RACES)

What is RACES?

I wasn't dissing Amateur Radio, but after looking at my post, I can see how it looks that way.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    PistolBob -- No problem; I know I've posted things that were taken wrong or didn't come out the way they were intended.

Yes, I agree that everyone could benefit from the NIMS class. As a member of the county EMA and having been involved in SAR (search & rescue), I've had more of those courses than I can remember.

Anyway, have a great day.... 73, Greg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom