• ...and so much more!
  • speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Please stop posting inaccurate statements.

Here is another section from the code:

FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN — 2013
    POLICE:
    A reserve police officer, by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan
    Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.

I lived there for 43 years and people are not open carrying. I had a CCW for 10 years and have many gun carrying friends. People are not commonly open carrying.

Its funny to see someone post that I should stop posting inaccurate info....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Its not an inaccurate statement.... In michigan you are required to take a CCW coarse to learn the rules prior to obtaining a license. I spent a week of my life after work going to a class on Michigans gun laws. The license is a concealed carry. You can be charged if your concealed weapon is viewed by someone even accidentally (though an accidental charge is not likely). The coarse instructor called it brandishing which as I noted would likely apply to an accidental view.

750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234e. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.
    (b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.
    (c) A person lawfully engaged in target practice.
    (d) A person lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    Section 234e..... KNOWINGLY.

You stated that a person could be charged if your weapon is viewed by someone accidentally.

Also, as to brandishing
    And brandishing is to shake or wave a weapon menacingly.
    or to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here is another section from the code:

FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN — 2013
    POLICE:
    A reserve police officer, by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan
    Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.

I lived there for 43 years and people are not open carrying. I had a CCW for 10 years and have many gun carrying friends. People are not commonly open carrying.

Because you have not seen it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
    They have had a few cases of the police being mistaken, thats why they had to use that document to clear things up.
    Basically, court cases were costing them too much.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

They aren't? You might want to check out this link.
    List Your Open Carry Experiences Here
    Heck a CPL holder can even legally open carry a few places that they can't conceal, such as schools.
    W. Bloomfield dad openly carries gun in school - Fox 2 News Headlines

Because you have not seen it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
    They have had a few cases of the police being mistaken, thats why they had to use that document to clear things up.
    Basically, court cases were costing them too much.

Yep, I've only seen open carry a couple times in IN. Doesn't mean that people (including myself) don't do it.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    OK Ok I fold. Thanks for all of the follow-up. I dont live there any more and am happy to have a LTCH vs. the CCW in Michigan. Based on the postings, there are people being hassled by the law (obviously there is some lack of understanding). I am not interested in being interrogated when Im at an event with my family.

Bottom line from my side - I paid an instructor to layout the rules and I had to pass a test on the material. The point about others seeng the concealed firearm was very clear and covered a few times. Wright or wrong, I never challenged the instructors direction. I got my CCW and carried concealed.

Good discussion.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    OK Ok I fold. Thanks for all of the follow-up. I dont live there any more and am happy to have a LTCH vs. the CCW in Michigan. Based on the postings, there are people being hassled by the law (obviously there is some lack of understanding). I am not interested in being interrogated when Im at an event with my family.

Bottom line from my side - I paid an instructor to layout the rules and I had to pass a test on the material. The point about others seeng the concealed firearm was very clear and covered a few times. Wright or wrong, I never challenged the instructors direction. I got my CCW and carried concealed.

Good discussion.

Its one of the reasons I like INGO.
    Discussion. Counterpoints. Quoting codes.
    I can't understand why people get bent out of shape all the time.
    Personally, I'd rather learn. If I'm wrong, I want to know.

And instructors are people. They make mistakes. They get wrong info. They have bad days.

Top Bottom