• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have a number of questions about having doing some NFA work to an upcoming AK-74 purchase, so here we go.

1. Are there any reputable SOT's or Gunsmiths able to do SBR work within the Indianapolis and/or surrounding areas? I would rather pick-up/drop-off as much as possible.
    2. Suppression... would it be worth it? Or would it just be "cool" factor? I'm completely fine with cool factor, but I won't be so concerned with saving money for it all at once.
    3. I know this falls under general questions, but your stamp must stay with the NFA item, yes? If so, would a signed copy of said paperwork suffice? I'm just leery of keeping originals in case they get ruined.
    4. Engraving... same question about #1.
    If you have any other suggestions, knowledge or ephus... I'd gladly take that as well. Thanks!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Suppression... would it be worth it? Or would it just be "cool" factor?

IMO, a suppressed AK isn't worth it. You still get noise (and a LOT of gas) out of the ejection port and the gaps between the top cover and receiver. Plus, there aren't many choices in suppressors compatible with the AK-74's threaded FSB. The VLTOR adapter I have is well-made, but consists of multiple parts which can allow slippage, and the threading on the FSB itself may or may not be concentric. These factors MAY have contributed to a recent baffle strike in my HALO. :xmad:

your stamp must stay with the NFA item, yes? If so, would a signed copy of said paperwork suffice? I'm just leery of keeping originals in case they get ruined.

I keep my originals in a safe location, and carry a copy with the gun or device. In fact, I keep copies of ALL my forms in all the gun cases where a given gun or item may reside.

What are you thinking about having done to your -74? AK-105 conversion, Krink, or other?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IMO, a suppressed AK isn't worth it. You still get noise (and a LOT of gas) out of the ejection port and the gaps between the top cover and receiver. Plus, there aren't many choices in suppressors compatible with the AK-74's threaded FSB. The VLTOR adapter I have is well-made, but consists of multiple parts which can allow slippage, and the threading on the FSBs may or may not be concentric. These factors MAY have contributed to a recent baffle strike in my HALO. :xmad:

Good to know, I'll just save my money for something else.

I keep my originals in a safe location, and carry a copy with the gun or device. In fact, I keep copies of ALL my forms in all the gun cases where a given gun or item may reside.

What are you thinking about having done to your -74? AK-105 conversion, Krink, or other?

I really would like to go Krink. Shooting the one at the Alumni Day solidified that for me. So now, I'm looking at costs and engraving and all that. I know it's going to be worth it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I really would like to go Krink. So now, I'm looking at costs and engraving and all that. I know it's going to be worth it.

The engraving cost will be chump change, compared to the cost of parts and the conversion/gunsmithing work. It would probably be cheaper just to buy a Krink kit and have it built, rather than buying an existing -74 and having it converted. Unless you just want something "Krink-like" and correctness isn't a priority.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In your past experience, Mark... how much would that run to have a barrel shortened and re-crowned, and have a foldable stock put on? I think that's "Krink-like" enough for me.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    The engraving cost will be chump change, compared to the cost of parts and the conversion/gunsmithing work. It would probably be cheaper just to buy a Krink kit and have it built, rather than buying an existing -74 and having it converted. Unless you just want something "Krink-like" and correctness isn't a priority.

This is what I did. Tony from Bob's Pawn in Kokomo built this for me:

KrinkLeft.jpg

KrinkRight.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In your past experience, Mark... how much would that run to have a barrel shortened and re-crowned, and have a foldable stock put on? I think that's "Krink-like" enough for me.

Depends on how short a barrel you want, whether any different/additional parts are required, and what kind of stock.

The cheap/easy way would be to have the FSB moved back to just in front of the gas block and the barrel cut flush (a la Krebs AK-103K) and use a plug-in folder like a Romanian or Polish single-strut, or an ACE block. If you wanted, you could even have the AK-74 brake permanently attached, and it would be a Title I gun (no tax stamp or SOT needed).

AK103K.jpg

Next step would be to do an AK-105 type gun (like mine), which would be going down to a 12" barrel, and would require the use of a combo front sight/gas block. You would still use the stock gas tube, handguards, piston and top cover. In order to be "correct," though, the receiver would have to be cut to accept a Russian/Bulgarian triangle or solid sidefolder.

ak102.jpg

Most expensive/involved would be to go the Krink route. There are so many differences between an AKS-74U and a full-size -74 (or even a -105), that you'd be better off building a kit from the ground up.

As to prices, I really can't help you; I had mine built several years ago and don't recall how much the 'smith charged me. Best bet is to contact some of the better ones (InRange, Red Jacket, PoHF, Rifle Dynamics and Investment Grade Firearms come immediately to mind) and inquire.

HTH!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How severe is the damage? Are you shipping it back to Gemtech to have it fixed?

Looks like the round kissed the endcap on the way out. Unknown at this time if there is any internal damage to the baffles themselves.

I will be sending all three of my Gemtech cans back for some sort of repair or service within the next month or so. Might as well get 'em all done at once.

Top Bottom