museum grade SKS unbelievably beatutiful! SKS FANS!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The wood on my SKS looks like that. Tons of proof marks on mine, no forced numbers...numbers matching. Mine is a 1956. I did NOT pay the price he is wanting.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I had an unissued laminated stock sks, with light colored wood, that looked much nicer than that one, I sold it last January for $350

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    strange to see a star on the receiver? Didn't look like a Tula star it looked CHI COM:dunno:
    Hmm??

Is yours a KBI "Russian" import?
    Does it also have the star on the left side of the receiver?

I dont know much about these?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    $500 for that rifle, considering the shape it is in, isn't too far out of line. ETA: I take that back. The import markings do de-value it somewhat.

According to trade offers for the 1953 Tula Russian I have for sale, that one's worth about $250, the same as a Yugo.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Just like mine ,I paid 260 13 years ago,rifle in pics IS worth 500 now ,believe it or not.They are rare,I have seen a new' Russian in a long dang time

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A friend of the family has an unissued Russian in the same box, that I've considered buying for a while now. He wants considerably less than that, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of cash on an SKS. I still remember the good old days of bringing them home, dripping with cosmoline for around $50.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    strange to see a star on the receiver? Didn't look like a Tula star it looked CHI COM:dunno:
    Hmm??

Is yours a KBI "Russian" import?
    Does it also have the star on the left side of the receiver?

I dont know much about these?

Star on the left side of the Tula is the 1956 (some late 1955). The import mark is pretty small, I'd have to dig it out to check the exact marking but I know it has a different marking than the KBI one. It is marked something (the importer city,state) CCCP and is on the right side of the receiver. The bayonet on mine looks different than that one, mine is a matte gold. Someone told me they thought it was cosmoline but I haven't found any in or on the rifle. It has been cleaned very, very well (by the previous owner who shot it a few times).

I paid around $400 (might have been a little less but I know it wasn't any more than that) maybe a year or 2 ago.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    $500 for that rifle, considering the shape it is in, isn't too far out of line. ETA: I take that back. The import markings do de-value it somewhat.

According to trade offers for the 1953 Tula Russian I have for sale, that one's worth about $250, the same as a Yugo.

I think that one is worth $500, just like I think your rifle is a good deal at $325! Anyone who wants a GOOD sks should really consider paying a little extra for a Russian. Lord knows Ive thought about yours more than once ;)

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Star on the left side of the Tula is the 1956 (some late 1955). The import mark is pretty small, I'd have to dig it out to check the exact marking but I know it has a different marking than the KBI one. It is marked something (the importer city,state) CCCP and is on the right side of the receiver. The bayonet on mine looks different than that one, mine is a matte gold. Someone told me they thought it was cosmoline but I haven't found any in or on the rifle. It has been cleaned very, very well (by the previous owner who shot it a few times).

I have some Russians like you guys mentioned. A '55 and '54 that are importer stamped CAI on the barrels. They look like the one in the original post on the AK forum. One has a black polished blade bayonet and the other has the gold colored blade like yours (not cosmoline either). I have an arsenal refinished with the light wood and a black coating including the bolt. It is KBI import stamped on the receiver and has the star on the side of the receiver. The '55 and '54 have the star and arrow on the top of the receiver covers.

Originally Posted by figley

I think that one is worth $500, just like I think your rifle is a good deal at $325! Anyone who wants a GOOD sks should really consider paying a little extra for a Russian. Lord knows Ive thought about yours more than once ;)

I agree and I thought about it also since it was a '53. It would have went nicely with my '54 and '55. The rust spot on the mag and me being far away scared me off.

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I cant take it anymore looks like like im buying another Russian rifle in the near future nice rifles!!!:ar15: post more!! I feel an sks sickness coming around.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I had an unissued laminated stock sks, with light colored wood, that looked much nicer than that one, I sold it last January for $350

A laminated stocked SKS is an indication that it was a re-furb and that the stock was replaced. The SKSs had anywhere from a very light re-furbishment i.e. solid stock replaced with a laminated stock to a heavy re-furbishment where the may rebuild most of the rifle to get it in sellable condition,stamp the parts to match the reciever #s. My rifle was clearly a re-furb yet it had no re-furb markings/stamps on it anywhere.

I was a long time owner of a super sweet 1951 Tula re-furb that was in great looking and shooting condition. It had the replacement laminated stock,all #'s on the metal parts matched,finish on the top-side metal was the K.B.I. Bar-B-Q black,including the bayonet.

I also sold mine for $350.00 to a good friend during the crazy "the sky is falling" times where $700 AR-15s were selling for like $1,500.

In fact he had a very nice Arsenal Inc. AK-47 that he bought new for $600-700 and sold it during the crazy times for $1,100-1,200! He said he should've bought FIVE sold FOUR of them and kep one for free!

The SKS boards is a great resource for everything SKS. It was the very first on-line forum I was a member of,hence my screen name coolatula = Cool Tula Arsenal SKS.

SKS Board site:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sks%20forum&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sksboards.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php&ei=bUHxTt2EKsirgweD1biPAg&usg=AFQjCNEQSHF8pIhJZ7i3LS3NS_9f0ifUAA

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom