• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Though very early in season, the weather has been unseasonably warm, we found a lot of mushrooms in the woods. I am no expert and did not pick any but can anyone tell what kind these are and if edible?

I took my son out just to get in the woods to see if we may be able to find any antler sheds. no antlers, but lots of tracks and signs.....and mushrooms. We did not pick any.

Thank you,

EDIT: It looks like the first one loaded upside down. Sorry.

20170116_151136.jpg 20170116_142759.jpg 20170116_142734.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing there I recognize as edible. The picture on the left looks a little like Jack-o-lanterns which are not edible.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The second one looks to me a little like Chicken of the Woods that has been freeze dried then thawed then frozen and thawed again.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    A lot late to this but... I don't know exactly what 1 and 3 are though they look like honey mushrooms, they aren't because its the wrong season. They might be part of the Strophariaceae group that contains the orange stump mushroom and the brick cap.

Number two is a shelf mushroom that is similar to many polypores, however I can't tell if its underside has pores or gills. Regardless of which it is inedible, as many polypores are due to their texture when consumed. More polypores are medicinal, however for that we need accurate identification.

A good tip in the future is to take a spore print by laying the mushroom with the spore bearing surface down on white paper. Cover with a glass or plastic bowl and let sit 12-24 he's. After which the spores will have collected on the paper allowing you to see their color. Then you can compare mushrooms that look similar with the same color spore print. Also when you pick the mushroom use gloves and keep it isolated to avoid possible contamination.

Top Bottom