• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zeebandit

Plinker
    May 23, 2008
    I need advice on purchasing one for my son as a Christmas present. I would like to get him one that is dependable and easy to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    For hunting it's hard to beat the Knight products. I'm still using one of the old MK 85s every season and it's still great. For a traditional rifle you can pick up one of the old TC Hawkins, the 45s can usually be had pretty low cost.:)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The only ones I own are a .60 cal. flintlock and a .44 SAA! However, my brother got one of those package deals from Wal Mart for Christmas 2 years back and he has killed 4 deer with it. It's accurate and dependable. Waiting on a text from my bro for the model.

It was the Traditions kit. Came with scope and sling rings, ball and cap tools, lube, cleaning tools, powder measure. Good to go out of the box. Shoots a .45 sabot. Good luck!

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i highly highly reccomend the TC omega.... here is why....
    a 3 shot 100 yard group
    omega3shot.jpg

and a 5 shot 200 yard group
    200yardomega.jpg

the gun is also extremly easy to load and use.... and the shotgun primers are in a sealed breach so weather isnt much of a concern.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    these also cost under 300 dollars from walmart.... i bought mine off gunbroker and it came with nikon omega scope and mount for 450 shipped.

omega.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Just an observation. You didn't say if your son is young or approaching adult hood. You didn't say if he wants one to hunt with or just to shoot for fun.

If he's approaching adulthood and wants to hunt, then hands down a T/C Omega. I've had a few different muzzleloaders now and I absolutely love my Omega. There are other good ones out there as well, but the Omega is one sweet gun.

If he's a youth (young and small framed), then your options are limited. My 10 year old daughter shoots a .50 cal. Rossi muzzeloader. Honestly, I could not be happier with the gun. So much so, that if I was on a tight budget and looking for a new adult gun, I would seriously consider the adult version of this gun.

:twocents:

zeebandit

Plinker
    May 23, 2008
    DEC: Sorry I should have added that my son is an adult and will be using the gun for deer hunting.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I have a TC Triumph that I picked up earlier this year. Just started shooting it and I love it! I still have my Knight Wolverine that I used for years that I just couldn't part with!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Then I'd seriously look into the T/C Omega. They are absolute tack driving guns, easy to maintain (throw away the cheap wrench they give you and just use a ratchet with extension), reliable, and all around a great buy.

Depending on your budget, I'd go stainless too.:yesway:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Gotta agree with everyone else. I own a TC Encore. Super nice but exspensive. Brother owns an Omega. Still a nice gun for a little less money. I am also a fan of CVA. Never owned anything other than a CVA before last year. Still have 3 that I shoot off and on. Hunterbolt Magnum. Wolf and Optima. Can't go wrong with these for the price.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can't go wrong with TC or knight. I have a Traditions and it is a great shooter. T bought it for $350 scoped from Dick's about 6 yrs ago. (BTW I have raised rings on mine so I can use open sights as well)

fornick33.jpg

zeebandit

Plinker
    May 23, 2008
    I know nothing about muzzleloaders and my son is just getting into deer hunting. What is the difference?

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Sidelock's are the traditional muzzleloaders(Daniel Boone)using a percussion or a Flintlock.Inlines look like a bolt action rifle or a centerfire single shot rifle.

zeebandit

Plinker
    May 23, 2008
    Glock22: Thanks for the explanation. He used one his friends last year. I will ask him which it was.

Top Bottom