• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have only been able to get out 3 times due to work constraints. Missed a doe on my first outing. Then this guy walked by after I had packed up and was getting ready to climb down for lunch. Grabbed my bow, nocked an arrow, then had to yell at him to stop. 15 yd chip shot. All happened in 60 seconds or so. And NO I didn't use the pistol on the seat to kill it. Lol. It was to fend off coyotes as I saw 2 of them walking back to the house after the shot. Not the biggest buck I've ever shot but I gave up hunting horns a long time ago. Decent size mature deer.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Nice deer trailrider - unexpected indeed. I was taking a pic of 2 of my old time hunting partners on a county road around 1992 or so when a Big Buck appeared behind them crossing the road, I did not take pic as I dropped camera and pointed etc.. Crazy when they appear?

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thanks for all the congrats. I try to remind myself while hunting they can show up anytime. I've nicknamed him my "lucky buck". I was disappointed my arrow didn't pass through and I knew I hit him back a little. Lung/liver shot. I would normally give a deer shot like that 4 hours or more before tracking but was too worried coyotes would find him first. Turned out he rolled around to get the arrow out, broke it off and bled out. Didn't go 100 yds from where I shot him. Lucky indeed. Good luck to all of you.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Nice buck, I'm sure he'll taste good after being put on the grill! While taking a buck with a big rack is cool to talk about, I hunt for the meat to put in the freezer instead of the trophy to hang on the wall. I took an old buck last hear with a very nice and big body (probably the about biggest bodied buck I've taken) his rack was nothing to write home about and he actually had one antler broken off at the base. Got a couple of HUGE roasts out of him and he sure did make some pretty good steaks etc.

Treetoppilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Nice deer. The coyotes don't waste much time and are good at getting to the deer. Letting too much time go by and they'll have the hind quarters destroyed - at least at some of the places I've hunted in the past. Shoot them all I say.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    Nice buck! There was one time I was bowhunting and looking the other way the minute I turned my head I had a nice Buck 5yds in front of me staring at me. It all happened so fast and at that point the if I moved to get my bow ready he would have been gone so we had a staring contest for a few minutes before he took off. Glad you were ready to go when he walked up.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    Nice Deer! I know a guy to who says he gave up shooting the antlers. But every time we have gone out hunting he seems to pass on some does waiting for that buck to follow and then by lunch time he is saying man Ii should have took that Doe. I think deep down we will always have that excitement of the "big rack"

Top Bottom