• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, been looking into the 1922 (FN manufactured Browning) I have; Wafnamt stamps on both the receiver and slide, WA-140 proof marks, all numbers match, 4 digit SN starting with a 5 and ending with a cursive C. From what I can surmise it was produced just before the GI's kicked down the doors in late 1944. It came with a VERY worn holster that a few applications of KIWI rejuvenating oil seems to be doing wonders to. From the holster I'd say that this went on to serve serious police duty as a late '44 production would not have left time for that amount of wear during the war. I've currently got it soaking in some Kroil to break down the few spots of corrosion. I'd say it's in 85%+ condition.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My Savage 1917 arrived today. It seemed really stiff when I racked the slide, so I broke it down and it was bone dry, kinda dirty, and had some light surface rust on the internals. Got it cleaned up and it loosened up considerably. Took some pics, but I wasn't happy with the way they came out so I'll take some more tomorrow. Happy with the condition overall though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice sounding Savage. A lot of these old war horses need a good lub job when they come in.

I've gotta say, the old ads for them are true when it comes to how naturally they point. It really is just like pointing at something with your finger. If they had modern sights on them (or if they designed a modern gun with the same ergonomics), they would be amazing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Savage pics...

8CXKULK.jpg

Q3Lcb6J.jpg

xSROUHp.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Savage pics...

8CXKULK.jpg

Q3Lcb6J.jpg

xSROUHp.jpg

I like the look of the pistol, Do not know which grip emblem I like better, the old 1907 savage emblem or that 1917..

Savage-Model-1907-32ACP-3-75inch-Barrel-Semi-Automatic-Pistol-1915mfg_101284448_108215_F762A047728C619C.JPG

-Savage-1917-32-ACP-PR25098_100400012_96_46133542784A44A1.jpg

I am emotionally torn.. I like the yelling face one.. But man the one with the rifle in his hand.. that's to much.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Finally got the two Savages and the FEG to the range yesterday and all worked great. The only issue was that the FEG does not like hollowpoints at all. Not sure if it's a mag or feed ramp issue, but it worked great with FMJ. I was a little concerned about the Savage 1917. I noticed that when working the slide (on empty gun), if I rode the slide a little, the hammer would stay cocked (it's SA only), but if I "sling-shotted" it, the hammer would follow the slide (into the "fired" position). My concern was that it might go full-auto when loaded.

Because of that, I first loaded one round. Fired the gun, and the hammer followed the slide. Loaded 2 rounds and after the first round, the hammer remained in the cocked position. Fired the second round and it followed the slide. Loaded up a full mag and it only followed the slide on the last round. That's when I had an "aha" moment and realized that it was a feature and not a bug.

Since there is no bolt hold open after the last round, returning the hammer to the "de-cocked" position was probably a safety feature. The 1907 did not do this. After it fired the last round, the hammer remained in the cocked position. I've not researched this, but I'm guessing that it was considered an improvement to design the 1917 to go to de-cocked when empty. Both pistols pointed very naturally and worked great with both FMJ and HP ammo.

All in all, it was a fun day at the range! Don't have any targets to show since we were just shooting steel plates (plate rack).

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Finally got the two Savages and the FEG to the range yesterday and all worked great. The only issue was that the FEG does not like hollowpoints at all. Not sure if it's a mag or feed ramp issue, but it worked great with FMJ. I was a little concerned about the Savage 1917. I noticed that when working the slide (on empty gun), if I rode the slide a little, the hammer would stay cocked (it's SA only), but if I "sling-shotted" it, the hammer would follow the slide (into the "fired" position). My concern was that it might go full-auto when loaded.

Because of that, I first loaded one round. Fired the gun, and the hammer followed the slide. Loaded 2 rounds and after the first round, the hammer remained in the cocked position. Fired the second round and it followed the slide. Loaded up a full mag and it only followed the slide on the last round. That's when I had an "aha" moment and realized that it was a feature and not a bug.

Since there is no bolt hold open after the last round, returning the hammer to the "de-cocked" position was probably a safety feature. The 1907 did not do this. After it fired the last round, the hammer remained in the cocked position. I've not researched this, but I'm guessing that it was considered an improvement to design the 1917 to go to de-cocked when empty. Both pistols pointed very naturally and worked great with both FMJ and HP ammo.

All in all, it was a fun day at the range! Don't have any targets to show since we were just shooting steel plates (plate rack).

Sounds like a successful range day DD.
    That wind was a bit much at times yesterday.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

You are at least responsible... I went to a range yesterday and the Yahoo down the way was hoping his would go auto.. always a big groan when it did not.. gee some folks..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I wish I could change the title to this thread to "My .32 ACP and .380 ACP Obsession Continues", because this one is a .380. :):

Mauser HSc, made (I believe) around 1971. Love this little pistol so far. Just seems really well made (it's a Mauser after all), and feels great in the hand. Can't wait to get it to the range!

uYMprbY.jpg

z6fOYvi.jpg

XsKhamu.jpg

Fpzu2T9.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That is a clean little pistol... I wonder what the story is to why they decided to keep that extra metal under the barrel..??

Makes a nice place to stamp numbers and such..

Comparing that to the PPK it looks like comparing the Remington 1875 vs the Colt 1873.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    That's a cool couple of finds for you as of late DD.
    I thought i remember you a while back saying that you were going to thin down the stable.
    You are either failing miserably, or you have one hell of a rotation going :-)

Top Bottom