• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I figured it's about time I start a build thread.:): This will eventually be a SBR, but that is a long ways off. I'd like to set up a trust before I start the NFA game.

I will be keeping a running total of what I spend on this build. Hopefully it will help others know what they are getting into.:yesway:

What I have so far:

PSA stripped lower----------------------$60.00
    PSA pistol lower build kit-----------------$105.95
    Magpul trigger guard---------------------$8.95
    DSA ambi safety-------------------------$28.00
    Magpul MOE+ grip------------------------$22.75
    Spike's Enhanced Mag Block--------------$134.95
    ADCO 4.5" 9mm barrel--------------------$166.00
    CMMG ramped 9mm bolt------------------$160.68
    BCM Gunfighter CH mod 4-----------------$39.00
    2x Metalform 32rd mags------------------$82.00
    Samson Evolution 7.6" rail----------------$135.00
    Primary Arms Micro Dot w/ mount---------$100.00
    Tactical Innovations Fake Supressor -----$36.39
    YHM 9mm marked upper assembly--------$110.00
    Barrel nut-------------------------------$13.20
    Spike's 9mm buffer----------------------$49.95

Running total-----------------------------$1252.82

Future plans:
    [STRIKE]CMMG 9mm bolt assembly[/STRIKE]- Bought
    [STRIKE]BCM Gunfighter Charging handle[/STRIKE]- Bought
    [STRIKE]7" hand guard[/STRIKE]- Bought
    [STRIKE]YHM upper receiver[/STRIKE]- Bought
    [STRIKE]Tactical Innovations fake suppressor[/STRIKE]- Bought
    [STRIKE]Primary Arms Micro Dot[/STRIKE]- Bought

IMG050.jpg

IMG063.jpg

IMG078.jpg

I assembled it at the NWI AR build class- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing_education_ar_15_build_class_3_4_12_a.html

I was able to test fire it with combat45acp's 10.5" 5.56 upper.
    arpistol.jpg

I think I'm all caught up. Any questions, comments, or suggestions let me hear 'em! This build will be going kinda slow from here on out, but I'll make sure to keep it updated.:ar15:

Last edited:

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    So this is considered a pistol by ATF and not an SBR? I would love to build one like this in 9mm, but thought I had to have a NFA for it.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    So this is considered a pistol by ATF and not an SBR? I would love to build one like this in 9mm, but thought I had to have a NFA for it.

Correct. It will be an SBR once I put a stock on it. The buffer tube currently on it is not capable of accepting a stock.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Looks pretty cool. I'd like to build a pistol to go with my Colt Carbine. 9mm Carbines are a blast to shoot.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I still need for the Spike's EMB to arrive. Colt 10.5" SMG upper on a Spike's lower build.

How do you like the ST-EMB, providing that you haven't shot it in place yet?

Thanks

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I still need for the Spike's EMB to arrive. Colt 10.5" SMG upper on a Spike's lower build.

How do you like the ST-EMB, providing that you haven't shot it in place yet?

Thanks

It seems like a quality piece, but I don't even have a mag to test in it yet.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I just finished my first 9mm pistol AR in January. Got to love the looks and questions you get when you pull it out of the bag at the range. You'll have to let me know how you like the Spike EMB. I went the cheap route and got a pro-mag Mag Block for $35 at JSE surplus. Just not sure how long it will stand up. You might want to check out JSE if you are still looking for a bolt.

JSE Surplus - AR 9mm

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Soooo let me get this straight. You are going to have around a thousand dollars... in a 9mm pistol... with a 4.5" barrel.... that is bigger than a full size .50 Desert Eagle? I have 9mm pistols, and an AR15, and a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub-9 rifle with a 16" barrel, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single reason to combine the 3? You cannot carry it as a typical "pistol", it does not have the power of the .223/5.56 AR, and it doesnt have a long enough barrel to increase the accuracy potential of the 9mm cartridge. Please enlighten me! What in the world is it used for??

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I just finished my first 9mm pistol AR in January. Got to love the looks and questions you get when you pull it out of the bag at the range. You'll have to let me know how you like the Spike EMB. I went the cheap route and got a pro-mag Mag Block for $35 at JSE surplus. Just not sure how long it will stand up. You might want to check out JSE if you are still looking for a bolt.

JSE Surplus - AR 9mm
    Thanks for the tip. That's the cheapest price I've seen on the CMMG 9mm bolt.:yesway:
    Soooo let me get this straight. You are going to have around a thousand dollars... in a 9mm pistol... with a 4.5" barrel.... that is bigger than a full size .50 Desert Eagle?
    Yep, sounds about right.:D
    I have 9mm pistols, and an AR15, and a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub-9 rifle with a 16" barrel, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single reason to combine the 3? You cannot carry it as a typical "pistol", it does not have the power of the .223/5.56 AR, and it doesnt have a long enough barrel to increase the accuracy potential of the 9mm cartridge. Please enlighten me! What in the world is it used for??

Range toy/steel plinker.:dunno: It will be SBR'ed eventually along with a suppressor.

haters.jpg

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Soooo let me get this straight. You are going to have around a thousand dollars... in a 9mm pistol... with a 4.5" barrel.... that is bigger than a full size .50 Desert Eagle? I have 9mm pistols, and an AR15, and a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub-9 rifle with a 16" barrel, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single reason to combine the 3? You cannot carry it as a typical "pistol", it does not have the power of the .223/5.56 AR, and it doesnt have a long enough barrel to increase the accuracy potential of the 9mm cartridge. Please enlighten me! What in the world is it used for??

What are your guns used for?

You should definitely do some reading before you bash something you know nothing about. A 9mm AR pistol is a stepping stone to a bad ass suppressed SBR.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    To the OP, thanks for the clarification! :D I love the looks of it, reminds
    me of the Star Wars blasters I used to play with as a kid. So my next question is, if adding a stock would make it an SBR, how long of a barrel can you put on it and still be considered a pistol? Can you put a 10.5" or 12" barrel on it without a stock and still be considered a "pistol"?

What are your guns used for?

You should definitely do some reading before you bash something you know nothing about. A 9mm AR pistol is a stepping stone to a bad ass suppressed SBR.

Sorry if your feelings get hurt easily, and sorry I was the one to hurt them! I wasn't bashing the weapon, I just couldn't figure out what it would be good for! A 9mm "pistol" with a 4.5" barrel that weighs about 5 pounds just didn't make a lot of sense to me. So I ask "Whats it good for?" which is asking for more information because maybe I would like to build one :dunno: You are correct, I know knothing about an AR pistol, and that's why I asked the question. Your last sentence would have been a great answer! Next time, maybe you could leave it at that?

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    Correct. It will be an SBR once I put a stock on it. The buffer tube currently on it is not capable of accepting a stock.

I must admit I have been real curious about this the last few days. I was looking at other pictures of AR pistols around the web and seen what looked like 5.56/.223. Does the same rule apply to them about the stock making it an SBR even though it's chambered with a rifle cartridge?

Also there were numerous AR pistols I seen without any type of buffer tube at all, they had some sort of plug in the back of the lower. How does that work?

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I must admit I have been real curious about this the last few days. I was looking at other pictures of AR pistols around the web and seen what looked like 5.56/.223. Does the same rule apply to them about the stock making it an SBR even though it's chambered with a rifle cartridge?
    Yes, the same rule applies.
    Also there were numerous AR pistols I seen without any type of buffer tube at all, they had some sort of plug in the back of the lower. How does that work?
    That's a good question...........that I don't have an answer to.:): Hopefully someone else will chime in.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

If they were an AR in 223/556 it had a piston upper.

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-PDS Pistol
    rra-pds-pistol2.jpg

It could also be a S&W M&P 15 22 pistol

sw1522pistol.png

OR a KELTEC PLR16
    ts

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Sorry if your feelings get hurt easily, and sorry I was the one to hurt them! I wasn't bashing the weapon, I just couldn't figure out what it would be good for! A 9mm "pistol" with a 4.5" barrel that weighs about 5 pounds just didn't make a lot of sense to me. So I ask "Whats it good for?" which is asking for more information because maybe I would like to build one :dunno: You are correct, I know knothing about an AR pistol, and that's why I asked the question. Your last sentence would have been a great answer! Next time, maybe you could leave it at that?

You write a rude paragraph and now claim you were just asking for imformation..yeah ok:rolleyes:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom