• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    A little while ago I offered up some advice on here to another member about his possible purchase of a Smith-Sigma series handgun and how he shouldn't because of the "horrible" trigger. I stand corrected. I based that opinion solely on dry-firing one at the gun shop awhile back and I purchased a Glock instead. Well today I had the chance to shoot a Sigma .40 and I have to say I was very pleased with it. The trigger was fine, didn't bother me one bit, and the gun shot great for me. So I am sorry for judging a book by its cover. I now feel if I had bought a Sigma instead of the Glock I would be pleased with said purchase. Not starting a Glock vs. Sigma debate either, for the record, as I do still like the Glock.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I used to own a S&W Sigma, and was really turned off by them. But I am about to try S&W again with an M&P 40, heres hoping.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I used to hate the Sigmas as well because of the perceived clunky-ness of the trigger, plus I tend to prefer metal framed firearms anyway. I had bought one to leave in a vehicle mounted safe. I chose the Sigma because I got such a great deal on it, and S&W was running one of their magazine rebates. Once I fired it, I too found that the trigger wasn't that bad. I was also won over when I shot it in Michigan on a sub 20 degree day, after it had been sitting in the vehicle's safe at that temperature for a couple of days, it had zero malfunctions, while I was having issues with a couple of other "finer" guns. Anywho, I ended up carrying it often, while frequently looked down upon by other Sigma-haters. :D

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    my buddy has a S&W sigma and i have a glock....ill never own a sigma from the experiance i had with the firearm

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I don't want to judge a book by it's cover but what kind of name is sigma anyway? What does it mean? I'll never buy one for that reason

What the heck is a Durdan? Why would anybody want to have anything to do with that name?;)

Sigma in greek numerals has the value of 200.
    Could have a relation.

I think a name has nothing to do with a firearms quality or usefullness.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What the heck is a Durdan? Why would anybody want to have anything to do with that name?;)

Sigma in greek numerals has the value of 200.
    Could have a relation.

I think a name has nothing to do with a firearms quality or usefullness.

Tyler Durden was Brad Pitt's character in the movie Fight Club with Ed Norton.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I had a Sigma 40VE and I actually liked it. Trigger pull took some getting used to but I dry fired it a bunch and shot the heck out of it and it proved to be pretty reliable. The only reason I got rid of it was to consolidate calibers (it was the only 40 I had). For the price, it was a pretty good value and actually exceeded my initial expectations.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have one and have no problems with it. Trigger is not that bad. This is the only Sigma I have ever fired so I don't know if I just got lucky or if thats the way they all are. Its a bit long and not as smooth as My Colt 1911, but its a different animal. I got mine because I didn't have a 40 (never could figure why anyone would want to consolidate their calibers, I want them all) and I got a very good deal on it. Mine has never failed to fire, never jammed, and is very accurate. My son has a S&W M&P in 45acp that I really like so I might one day upgrade to a M&P in 40, but I"m in no hurry.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I loved my Sigma, sold it to buy a revolver but I would own one again if I ever got over the revolver addiction. Dandy gun for cheap, ate anything I put through it, fit like a glove, and was fairly accurate. Only draw back for me was the lack of accessories and the non-standard rail system. Great gun for what it is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I used to own a S&W Sigma, and was really turned off by them. But I am about to try S&W again with an M&P 40, heres hoping.

I've never shot a sigma ... But if you are looking into getting an M&P 40 ... i would highly reccomend the M&P 40 pro version. I bought mine a week ago and have put 500 rounds through it, couldnt be more pleased with its performance.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    From my experience with the Sigma's, buying one is sort of a crapshoot. I've fired a couple that seemed pretty decent, but my father bought one, and the trigger on that thing is one of the worst I've ever seen. Its ok for the range, but I would definately not trust my life with it....Also I hate how they put a rail on it, but then you have to buy an adapter to make a picatinny rail, thus making a light or laser hang even lower off of it.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    I don't mind the trigger on the Sigma. The shape of it is very revolver-esque. And it doesn't feel bad as much as it's just heavy out of the box. With a little working out and a little use, it smooths right out... just like all Smith triggers.

The Sigma gets a bad rap because of the price tag. There's not a thing wrong with em.

~LT

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sigma is actually the letter "S" in the Greek alphabet, not sure how it correlates other than Smith & Wesson. Anyway, I have one and it has performed flawless for me. I sleep with it in my bedside drawer for HD. I did do the "trigger fix" on it, but I have not had any issues since.

Top Bottom