• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    EVERY morning this doe & buck (along with a fawn) come to my back door and stare at my cat until I step outside and give them a scoop of corn or sunflower seed. I then sit on the outside stoop less than five feet from them while they eat. It's pretty cool being that close to them, and they having no fear. Yesterday the coating on the Bucks antlers was starting to come off, and by this morning he had scratched it all off. I have never seen a buck that stayed with a doe up to and after the birth of the fawn.

aa7381f16f3ae624555d3536236afb37.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    great pic!!!....i would say that the buck is the son of the doe and that will all change when the rut hits...

I would agree. I constantly have on my trail camera a doe with a fawn and a young buck follows them around. I think the young buck is the son of the doe from the previous year. Anyways OP that is a very cool pic and very interesting how they watch the cat and vice versa. Thanks for sharing the pic and story.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do you ever let the cat out?

Maybe they think it's a prisoner and are protesting? :laugh:

Are they taking a knee, putting a hoof (fist), or locking legs(arms) while looking at your American flag? Is so they are protesting the injustice of how American hunters are giving certain deer differently based on their looks :laugh:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Are they taking a knee, putting a hoof (fist), or locking legs(arms) while looking at your American flag? Is so they are protesting the injustice of how American hunters are giving certain deer differently based on their looks :laugh:

The cat is trapped in a cage with bars. Don't be surprised if you come home and find the windows broken and cat gone! Deer break-out cat!

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    With the cats I grew up with you would come home to find a dead deer on the front steps with a crushed neck and the cat on the sofa cleaning its claws and look up at you with a " look what I brought down, you can have it " expression.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I feed the deer but not close to the house. I agree that making them too friendly/tame could put them in harms way. They get too used to people and have no fear of the hunters...makes them easy pickin's during hunting season. We no longer hunt because we don't really need the meat (have plenty of home grown beef and such in the freezer) and enjoy seeing the herd bounce back. Two to three years ago, we rarely saw deer due to so many people in the immediate area hunting and taking as many as they could. Some actually took more than the limit--if you count the injured ones that were not recovered and were later found dead due to bad aim and injuries that left no blood trail.

I know some of the herd here will be taken during hunting season since I cannot control how far they wander, but I provide them with water and habitat and a little treat to keep them feeling safe here. We also have at least one young spike buck that is on the cameras all the time with a doe and a fawn. I agree that these young ones are probably her fawns from last year as it is common for them to stick together until those girls lure them away from mom.:)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We feed the deer in the yard at our cabin in Michigan. You can call them right in or start the generator. But outside the yard it's fair game -and they know it.

Top Bottom