• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Found an old Stevens 520A at the Louisville gun show a few months ago. My son noticed the guy walking around with it and he only wanted $100 so I gladly gave him that. It had a long barrel with the adjustable choke and a cracked loose buttock with no butt plate. Very worn with a great old patina.

I looked all over for a heatshield. There was one at the show for $800, so that was right out. Bid on a few on EBay and Gunbroker but they were closing over $400. Finally one seller had several so I made a $350 offer he accepted. It was a reproduction but original ones are so spicy, I just didn’t care. Cut the barrel down with a pipe cutter to the right length and good to go there.

I then started looking for a bayonet but those were not common and going for over $200. I started wondering if any other bayonets would fit or could be modified. I had a few long ones I had picked up at a local military swap meet and it turns out that one of them was an original British 1913 made by Remington that ended up being repurposed for US use after we entered WWI.

The bayonet fit perfectly and was aged to perfection like everything else on the gun. The grips were pretty chewed up so I found a set on eBay for $30. Nice original ones that matched the old and worn look.

I hit the heatshield with some vinegar and steel wool, smacked it around, dragged it through some gravel and within a few hours, it looked as vintage as everything else. I removed the cracked stock, replacement ones for the 520A are not too common so I spread it apart and injected good wood glue in and clamped it. It was still loose fitting so I sprayed the shotgun’s back end with oil and bedded the stock to it with epoxy. Once that set up for a few days, smacked it around and put some weight on it, it stayed nice and tight.

I am waiting on a rear sling mount (1928 Thompson M1A1) a repo leather sling and repo butt plate to finish out the project. I will beat up and age the sling when it arrives and it should be complete. I've wanted to do this since I picked up a Stevens 620 in really nice condition. I shortened the barrel to 18 inches before researching trench guns and realized it was too short for the heat shield bayonet lug. So I've been looking for just the barrel half since it is a take down, but no luck there. When my son spotted the 520 at the show, he started this project. It has been fun.

Attachments

• Trenchgun.jpeg
      Trenchgun.jpeg
      777.7 KB · Views: 108

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    It really is turning out nice. That is one wicked looking "tool"!
    I will post a pic or two next week once it is finished. I did stain the stock a little to darken it to match the forend a little better. After I beat up the sling and get the swivel and butt plate installed, it will be about as complete as it is going to be. I will have to shoot it a few times to make sure it functions properly, then it will sit in the corner of my office for decoration and deterrent to any Huns trying to make their way in.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Found an old Stevens 520A at the Louisville gun show a few months ago. My son noticed the guy walking around with it and he only wanted $100 so I gladly gave him that. It had a long barrel with the adjustable choke and a cracked loose buttock with no butt plate. Very worn with a great old patina.

I looked all over for a heatshield. There was one at the show for $800, so that was right out. Bid on a few on EBay and Gunbroker but they were closing over $400. Finally one seller had several so I made a $350 offer he accepted. It was a reproduction but original ones are so spicy, I just didn’t care. Cut the barrel down with a pipe cutter to the right length and good to go there.

I then started looking for a bayonet but those were not common and going for over $200. I started wondering if any other bayonets would fit or could be modified. I had a few long ones I had picked up at a local military swap meet and it turns out that one of them was an original British 1913 made by Remington that ended up being repurposed for US use after we entered WWI.

The bayonet fit perfectly and was aged to perfection like everything else on the gun. The grips were pretty chewed up so I found a set on eBay for $30. Nice original ones that matched the old and worn look.

I hit the heatshield with some vinegar and steel wool, smacked it around, dragged it through some gravel and within a few hours, it looked as vintage as everything else. I removed the cracked stock, replacement ones for the 520A are not too common so I spread it apart and injected good wood glue in and clamped it. It was still loose fitting so I sprayed the shotgun’s back end with oil and bedded the stock to it with epoxy. Once that set up for a few days, smacked it around and put some weight on it, it stayed nice and tight.

I am waiting on a rear sling mount (1928 Thompson M1A1) a repo leather sling and repo butt plate to finish out the project. I will beat up and age the sling when it arrives and it should be complete. I've wanted to do this since I picked up a Stevens 620 in really nice condition. I shortened the barrel to 18 inches before researching trench guns and realized it was too short for the heat shield bayonet lug. So I've been looking for just the barrel half since it is a take down, but no luck there. When my son spotted the 520 at the show, he started this project. It has been fun.
    The rear sling mount should be the stamped type. The Thompson, the 1903, The krag, and the trench guns all shared the same rear sling swivel. But searching for the 1903 one will net you a lot more results.

If your but stock isn't already recessed for it, it will involve a bit of woodworking to correctly install it.

The British P13 Bayonet and the US M1917 Bayonet are exactly the same except marks as you found out.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Pretty dang neat!!! Did I miss where you got the bayonet lug? Uh, never mind, saw it up close, the heat shield, and the lug are attached.....

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    The rear sling mount should be the stamped type. The Thompson, the 1903, The krag, and the trench guns all shared the same rear sling swivel. But searching for the 1903 one will net you a lot more results.

If your but stock isn't already recessed for it, it will involve a bit of woodworking to correctly install it.

The British P13 Bayonet and the US M1917 Bayonet are exactly the same except marks as you found out.
    To be honest, I was not looking for exact accuracy with the sling swivel. I searched on the 1928 Thompson and found the stamped one. I know I will need to inlet it and that should not be difficult. Got some small sharp wood chisels and the ubiquitous Dremel tool.

It was a stroke of luck I already had the right bayonet. I bought that one years ago for $20 at a little swap meet here in town because it looked cool with the 17 inch blade and was cheap.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To be honest, I was not looking for exact accuracy with the sling swivel. I searched on the 1928 Thompson and found the stamped one. I know I will need to inlet it and that should not be difficult. Got some small sharp wood chisels and the ubiquitous Dremel tool.

It was a stroke of luck I already had the right bayonet. I bought that one years ago for $20 at a little swap meet here in town because it looked cool with the 17 inch blade and was cheap.
    Well not the end of the world if you go for the milled type, they are usually more expensive though.

I had one, but I gave it to the last guy trying to do a trench gun.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Well not the end of the world if you go for the milled type, they are usually more expensive though.

I had one, but I gave it to the last guy trying to do a trench gun.
    The one I ordered from Sarco was pretty cheap and it looked like the stamped type so all is good.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That is one nasty looking made for killing people firearm!
    Notwithstanding that description, it IS beautiful!
    Congratulations on a well done project! :wavey:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    That is one nasty looking made for killing people firearm!
    Notwithstanding that description, it IS beautiful!
    Congratulations on a well done project! :wavey:
    Thanks! I call that "social work".

Once I have the last touches on it, I'll post another pic or two. Just got the leather sling yesterday, so now I need to beat it up and age it. Unless someone has a beatup old leather military style sling they would like to trade for brand new one... it's a repo M1907 Garand sling.

Obviously I am not going for 100% authenticity, I just want it to look cool and function adequately to repel Huns and boarders.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Well, you are a master if you have a Dremmel!

No, really, you are doing great work there. I love the vision.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That's so awesome!!

I have a pre WWII Win '97 that I'd DEARLY love to have converted into a tench gun.

No way could I do it myself... Plus the one I have is the take-down receiver. Those weren't ever used for trench guns anyhow.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    That's so awesome!!

I have a pre WWII Win '97 that I'd DEARLY love to have converted into a tench gun.

No way could I do it myself... Plus the one I have is the take-down receiver. Those weren't ever used for trench guns anyhow.
    My 520A is a takedown, I think all of the Stevens 520/620's were. You are right though, the Win 97 trenchguns were solid frames. Not that it really matters unless you are going for 100% authenticity which given the prices of parts, would be damn difficult to do now.

I originally picked up my 620 years ago because I wanted an inexpensive takedown and it fit the bill perfectly. Great travel gun to go with my KelTec Sub2k and Glock 17. Survival kit in a bag right there when I used to drive all around Indiana and Kentucky for work.

If your Win 97 isn't in pristine condition and a collector item, it would be simple to do actually. Just the cost of the heatshield and bayonet would be the hard parts to swallow now. For those two and little misc bits, about $600 to $800 now if a repo heatshield is acceptable. Otherwise, original ones are starting to hit four figures or awfully close just by themselves. You pretty much have to get an authentic M1917 bayonet, the repo ones I hear are not great quality.

There was an outfit making the heatshields a couple of years ago for around $160, but the owner died and it shut down. Somebody bought the stock up and is now selling them on Gunbroker. They regularly get bid up over $400 pretty fast.

I am lucky, I have a great shop to work in. My attached garage is for our cars and lawn equipment and my detached one (with AC, heat, bathroom, and many other extras) is where I do my amateur gunsmithing, reloading, casting, and work on our vehicles.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yeah - it's for sure not worth the cost for me.

I've thought about selling the gun many times over the years. It does nothing but take up space. But - it belonged to my grand father. That said - he wasn't ever a gun guy or hunter or shooter. It was his step-father's gun. A guy he never even liked. So while I did inherit it, there really isn't any family history behind it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah - it's for sure not worth the cost for me.

I've thought about selling the gun many times over the years. It does nothing but take up space. But - it belonged to my grand father. That said - he wasn't ever a gun guy or hunter or shooter. It was his step-father's gun. A guy he never even liked. So while I did inherit it, there really isn't any family history behind it.
    If I hadn't already done all this work to the old Stevens, I would have been interested in the 97. That being said, I am sure it would not last long here in the classifieds. They are such a cool old shotgun!

Top Bottom